Stingray City- depth of the water (I can't swim)

trevette1981

On the sand bar where the "snorkel" tours go, you will be able to stand as the water is about chest deep. If you go the the "real" stingray city, the one where people scuba dive, it is about 12-15 ft deep, but you won't be going there.

Someone tell me the depth of the water in Stingra City. Also, are you required to know how to swim or can you feed them from the boat? I can't swim, :eek: (I know!) but I REALLY want to feed the stingrays.:p

My husband cannot swim also and was very hesitant to join this excursion. I'm happy to say, however, that he had the time of his life!!! He wouldn't have missed this for the world and is still talking about it ! The water is very calm and depending on how tall you are about waist to chest deep. It was an awesome experience to hold the rays, have them give us a back massage :) and to feed them...it is something neither of us will every forget! Just put your faith in a loved one & stay near them & you'll be OK.

Have a great time!

A few people tried to feed from our boat - without getting in the water - and were unable to as the stingrays just didn't come that close to the surface without a lot of coaxing. I'm 5-4 and the water came up to my chest.

There is no guarantee that the water won't be over your head sometimes, BUT... No, you don't have to know how to swim at all. I know Soto's has real life jackets, not the inflatable snorkel vests, but you don't wear them in the normal, uncomfortable position (although you could if you wanted).

f+ylGtn76IuhgR7OvKsoOouhAKc-lUPh0300.jpg

Great photo above and so nice to be reassuring to others. I do think non-swimmers could do the sting ray portion with life vest assistance.

I would recommend to all who plans this, to pay attention to the wave height and wind. We went on a day with a brisk wind from the north and the waves were at least 3ft high. It was not the calm seas that you see in the brochures. We were disappointed as it was a bit of a struggle to not bob up and down.

We went with Moby Dick Tours and they warn you that the front of the boat is like being in the first few rows at the Shamu whale show. They were right. It was a miserable ride out to the site. Waves pounded over the front and soaked us relentlessly. Just about the time you wipe the salt water from your eyes and turn around....another blast of water...

The guides were friendly and have a canned speech about what to do and not to do while in with the stingrays. They both held rays and provided everyone with photo opportunities as best they could. I do feel that they were a little indifferent to any comments about the weather. I was left with the feeling (although it was not actually said) "What do you expect ....it's the ocean lady"

The snorkling portion of the tour is done just a very short distance from the sandbar near the coral reef. Again because the waves were high, I felt it was dangerous to snorkle. Struggling up and down in the waves was tiring. I was worried that I could be tossed into the coral. Because the water is shallow...6-10 ft here, the waves were cresting. It was difficult to stay in place and observe the marine life below.

If I had to do it over again, I would sit in the back of the boat on the way out and stay warm and dry. Coming back with the wind at your back, it is ok to sit up front.

I would like to go again on a calm seas day...

I do not want to discourage you, but just caution you that the waves can change the entire experience.

Archived