Land Rover 4x4

DREAMSAFLOAT

Has anyone done this excursion where you can drive your own vehicle? My 10 year old isn't interested in cave tubing so I thought this might be somewhat thrilling and adventurous. Through Carnival excursions it's over $100 and was wondering if it is worth it. Thanks

My husband and I did this excursion and we thought it was well worth the money, but I am not sure it would interest a 10 year old. We were picked up right at the ship by a high speed boat, that was really fun. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the shore and you then travel another 20 minutes up the river to where the jeeps are parked. The camp is really something out of an Indiana Jones movie. You then drive your jeep to where the caves are located. Some on road as well off road in the jungle. There are beverages and restrooms at both locations. Very clean and well maintained. There is a suspended bridge to cross to get to the caves. We saw a lot of bats. There is a beach area under the brigde and inner tubes for your use. A covered truck will take you back to the ship. The tour may be reversed. It is a great way to see Belize. You see the river, the jungle, small rural towns and the city area. Seeing wildlife is hit or miss. We did not see much more than bats, cows roaming free and a really cool bird that makes nests that look like hanging baskets. Our guide said they once saw a baby jaguar crossing the river. I will check the board for the next few days if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I did this excursion and we thought it was well worth the money, but I am not sure it would interest a 10 year old. We were picked up right at the ship by a high speed boat, that was really fun. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the shore and you then travel another 20 minutes up the river to where the jeeps are parked. The camp is really something out of an Indiana Jones movie. You then drive your jeep to where the caves are located. Some on road as well off road in the jungle. There are beverages and restrooms at both locations. Very clean and well maintained. There is a suspended bridge to cross to get to the caves. We saw a lot of bats. There is a beach area under the brigde and inner tubes for your use. A covered truck will take you back to the ship. The tour may be reversed. It is a great way to see Belize. You see the river, the jungle, small rural towns and the city area. Seeing wildlife is hit or miss. We did not see much more than bats, cows roaming free and a really cool bird that makes nests that look like hanging baskets. Our guide said they once saw a baby jaguar crossing the river. I will check the board for the next few days if you have any questions.

I'm a little freaked out about the bats! Should I be?

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

wow... I can't decide between the landrover tour and a snorkel tour now. I'll be snorkeling in other destinations on my cruise, but I don't think there are any Landrover tours like this in other west caribbean destinations?

Gene

We just got back from the Enchantment of the Seas cruise and took this tour in Belize 2 weeks ago. Our 14-year old and nearly 6-year old loved it...even in the pouring rain! They loved bouncing around in the land rover and the high speed boat ride was great in spite of the pouring rain.

Great minds think alike buckeye! I saw the picture here (http://www.belize-paradise.com/landrover.htm) and I was wondering the same, so asked them in an email, this is what they replied:

"The suspension bridge is new and was specially designed. It can support the weight of ATVs (4 wheel motor bikes), although we only walk across it. It has barriers on both sides and is engineered to minimize movement, so you will be quite safe."

Sounds great, I think I may have to do this instead of snorkeling now..!

When are you there buckeye?

Gene

Archived