Live from the Dawn Princess

Babyblue

We are on our way into our first stop, Juneau.Been drizzly and a little cool but not a problem. I love the cooler weather so I know I will love Alaska.we set our clocks back and hour early this a.m. so we have an extra hour to do whatever.No tour scheduled so far for this port but will look once we get to the pier. It has been foggy so far this early a.m. and the Captain has had to blow the fog horn several times as we enter into the area.We have seen dolphins so far and hope to see other wildlife. So far I love it and we haven't even gotten into our first port.The staff onboard is awsome and have gone out of their way to make sure everything is great.We have the best room steward (Marisell). She is making sure we have everything we need.Paul in the pizzaria La Scala is Great!!We have had great bartenders taking care of us as well Alfredo in the Wheelhouse and Jammers is wonderful.Well off to go walk the ship.So glad we booked this Alaska trip( over a year in the wait but it is finally here)Will post back later on the Princess Thread.Karen, Madona and Kathy

It is great to hear from someone there! What are your other stops? We leave this coming Sunday on the Sun Princess and are so excited! Have a great time!!

I am just off the Carnival Spirit. I don't know if the port stops are the same or not but we had the following ports: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway,Sitka and college Fjords. We saw dolphins, whales and eagles from our balcony. We went with Sourdough Tours in Ketchikan, Temsco Helicopters in Juneau, WP&YR railroad in Skagway ( saw 2 bears on train ride!), and Sitka Secrets for Wildlife tour in Sitka ( saw Puffins, whales, otters, sealions, starfish, eagles) Harvard glacier in College Fjords gave a spectacular calving! As well as Mendenhall Glacier did a minor calving ...wow is all I can say. You will have a wonderful time!

I am just off the Carnival Spirit. I don't know if the port stops are the same or not but we had the following ports: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway,Sitka and college Fjords. We saw dolphins, whales and eagles from our balcony. We went with Sourdough Tours in Ketchikan, Temsco Helicopters in Juneau, WP&YR railroad in Skagway ( saw 2 bears on train ride!), and Sitka Secrets for Wildlife tour in Sitka ( saw Puffins, whales, otters, sealions, starfish, eagles) Harvard glacier in College Fjords gave a spectacular calving! As well as Mendenhall Glacier did a minor calving ...wow is all I can say. You will have a wonderful time!

Wow! sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We are going on the railroad trip but one way on the bus. I sure hope I see a bear!!! What was the Sourdough Tour like...did you book it on your own or through the ship? I have a whale watch booked with Captain Larry in Juneau. Can't wait to go! Thanks for your post. I will be looking for the dolphins, whales and eagles,too!

We have been in Juneau, today in Skagway and have yet to port in Ketchikan and Vancouver and the Tracy Arm(scenic cruising).Junea we had no tours booked but took the Tramway up to the top of a mountain and had some AWSOME views of the port and ships.We did lots of shopping.There are shops here called The Alaskan Shirt Company and don't let the name fool you they have ever type of souvenire you can imagine and GREAT prices.They have the same shop here in Skagway (where were are right now getting ready to set sail at 8:30 Alaskan time.We did the White Pass Train ride which is the best time. I took about 150 pictures on that tour alone.If you plan on taking pictures outside (between the cars) wear gloves and warm clothing as it can get cool. Mind you I stayed out there most of the time but my stepdaughter says I am part polar bear.I will post a lengthy review when we return( cant spend too much time in the Internet area- too beautiful outside.The weather has been great.We are having a great time and hope everyone else will have such a great time and great weather as well.More after we get to the other ports.Karen

We went last Sept. and in Juneau we booked with Captn Larry(orca enterprises) and saw so many whales, they then booked our heli/glacier trip for us and provided our transportation to and from it was so easy we only had to pay one company rather than doing everything ourselves. It was the best part of our trip, oh other than tipping in our kayaks LOL

ncruiser we are having nice weather. In the 50'shigh 50's in Juneau. Cooler of course here in Tracy arms.

Bill thanks- I type so slow so this is taking longer to type but glad to give out details as thye are fresh.

Marilee- will try to post every day.

The Dawn went up further into the passage way this trip than the 2 prior due to more glaciers in the water.

We saw Bears otters on the glaciers (giving birth) eagles in flight as well as in the trees.

We wore jeans and a sweater in town in Jueau and Skagway and were fine.

I had to put on the jacket while out on the platforms of the train ride in Skagway.

We stayed in our Aft mini while cruising Tracy Arm and it was wonderful. They have a person on the ship who anounces sitings of wildlife and you can here it through a channel on the tv in yor room and wait to pass by the objects.

Beautiful pieces of ice in the water.Took lots of pics here as well.

The naturalist said we are lucky that this time of year we get to see a lot of the waterfalls that occur due to the slowly melting ice from the mountains That is a great picture.

Bring Hot chocolatae for your room since it is $1.50 per cup onboard.

I thought it was free but it is not.

Tonight is crab legs so will enjoy that.

Again I will post a long reiew once we return

Great weather beautiful ports AWSOME trip.

Karen

Thanks so very much for all the great information. It is super to hear how your trip is going. I am so excited...we leave for Seattle on Friday and then our cruise on the Sun is starting Sunday. Thanks for the tip about hot chocolate. Hope you enjoy your great dinner tonight.

I am so jealous I'm not leaving until August, we went last year in Sept I wonder if there will be much of a difference in weather and wildlife? How is the Dawn, and are they doing princess idol, my husband took 2nd on the diamond last year by one point, it was so much fun, I just can't wait!!!

tried to post yesterday but we had a bad connection and by the time I typed everything and waited for it to post it timed out and I lost everything. Sorry so here goes.

Tracy Arms was wonderful they spotted a bear while we were in the Horizon court so my sister and My SD saw it. I did not have my binoculars but they saw him or her.

It is beautiful weather on our way to Victoria sunny. Even in Ketchikan it was fine drizzle did not kill anyone :eek:

Just wear a rain poncho.

Lobster last night was great 2 tails and had a caviar appetizer( I love caviar).Madona of course had a cheeseburger( she doesn't eat the good stuff:D )

Went to see the ventriloquist again still laughed .

They had the champagne waterfall last night. A nice photo op.

Pizzaria La Scala is great and you are seated by Antonio who is great and friendly. I have seen him on several other Princess ships we have sailed on before. He is a real sweetheart.

Paul was our server and he is one of the nicest people as well. Very friendly and courteous. Hugs to them both.

Internet Cafe is never really too busy so if you are lucky enough to get free internet go for it. I loved to read the Live From posts when we were at home it makes it seem so real.

ncruiser: I know you will love your trip It has been my favorite of the 18 i have taken. Still no issues with mosquitos and they love me as well so I have not been bitten by any.

K&M2CRUZ: They said that early in the season there are a lot of the waterfalls due to the ice melting so the snow may be gone by then but they said the flowers come later in the season so you should be able to experience that. and maybe more wildlife than we saw.

Joanne1: You will not be dissapointed. This is a great ship, not too big and not too small--- Can I get in your luggage?

Margord- Will keep posting until I have to get off LOL but I will post a detailed orlong review as I have more info that I have not posted.

It seems this trip has gone by sooo fast. Just will have to book another.

If you book a open booking while on board it is only $100.00 per person deposit so that is incentive enough.

Well off to get lunch. I will try to post again later.

P.S. If you guy have a great group of CC"s like we do it makes it soo much better, we have dined to gether, done a tour together and done some shows together. It is also neat to meet the people after you have chatted on board and meet them and see if your impressions have been right. Pejay who we chatted with first are soo nice, Suzanne and Ron (suron) are lovely couple and we love their accent. Sharon and Bill are wonderful. Cruzebabe is a sweet young lady with a great son who is soo smart. I thought she would be a wild chick but she is soo neat.

It is wonderful how much more fu it is when you have people you "know" on board.

To all our fellow cc people we have enjoyed being with you and you have made this trip soo much fun and rememerable.Thanks for that!!!

OK more later

Karen

Talk about a small world. We have been corresponding with Suron for months as we are taking the same pre-cruise Canadian Rockies tour they took. Can't wait to hear from her when she get home.

Marilee

Thanks for all of your wonderful info . . . sure you can come along in my suitcase :D the more the merrier. I do agree that meeting the CC group is a great way to get to know people around the ship. We have met some of our best friends this way and have cruised together for the past 2 years (although neither couple will be joining us on this cruise :( )

Our daughter is one of the dancers on the ship (not looking for comments just informing :) ) and as of this week she will be line captain . . . she is a nervous wreck right now and she hasn't been home since February so we can hardly wait to see her. She knows all about the 'CC' boards and she laughs when I tell her 'someone said this or that' about the ship, cruise, or shows. She thinks I am crazy . . . . funny thing is when we cruise, the people we are with always ask me when they have a questions.

How was the naturalist on the ship? Did they do any sessions? or was it communication through the intercom?

Thanks for all of your wonderful info . . . sure you can come along in my suitcase :D the more the merrier. I do agree that meeting the CC group is a great way to get to know people around the ship. We have met some of our best friends this way and have cruised together for the past 2 years (although neither couple will be joining us on this cruise :( )

Our daughter is one of the dancers on the ship (not looking for comments just informing :) ) and as of this week she will be line captain . . . she is a nervous wreck right now and she hasn't been home since February so we can hardly wait to see her. She knows all about the 'CC' boards and she laughs when I tell her 'someone said this or that' about the ship, cruise, or shows. She thinks I am crazy . . . . funny thing is when we cruise, the people we are with always ask me when they have a questions.

How was the naturalist on the ship? Did they do any sessions? or was it communication through the intercom?

We stayed in our room( we splurged and had a nice balcony) so we had the best of both worlds- not too cold as we were on the aft. We heard his info thru the TV and intercom. He was very knowledgeable and helped spot the many sightings of wildlife.

Wow wish we knew her name b4 we left we could of said a hello.

Those dancers do an awsome job!! we love their shows!!!!

Karen

Talk about a small world. We have been corresponding with Suron for months as we are taking the same pre-cruise Canadian Rockies tour they took. Can't wait to hear from her when she get home.

Marilee

I think she loved the trip.

She is home and will post a review she said once she gets settled.

They are a great couple and hope to keep in touch with them forever- My stepdaughter has her address etc so I will keep in touch once I get the info from her.

They are sweeties

Karen

Archived