bringing wine onboard NCL

brooklintee

I am booked on the Pearl in March 2007. This is my first NCL cruise and I was wondering what the alcohol policy was. I like to bring my own wine onboard to have in my cabin or take to dinner. I have previously sailed on RCCL & Princess and both lines allowed us to bring our own wine - they just charged us a corkage fee which I am ok with. I spoke with CS at NCL and they said I could being my own wine, yet in their book it says alcohol is prohibited. I don't want to get to the ship to find out I can't have my own wine and then have to lug it home.

Anyone have any input on this?

I am booked on the Pearl in March 2007. This is my first NCL cruise and I was wondering what the alcohol policy was. I like to bring my own wine onboard to have in my cabin or take to dinner. I have previously sailed on RCCL & Princess and both lines allowed us to bring our own wine - they just charged us a corkage fee which I am ok with. I spoke with CS at NCL and they said I could being my own wine, yet in their book it says alcohol is prohibited. I don't want to get to the ship to find out I can't have my own wine and then have to lug it home.

You can bring it and they will charge a fee.

There are many threads on this. You can use the search feature or the FAQ feature.

And, when you do the search you will find a few hundred comments about "sneaking" it onboard. This is one of the most often discussed topics here.

Oh yea, if you do not want to do a search, just look through the postings from the past week or so and you will see this topic come up often as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Be prepared to pay corkage fee.

If not...better for you:)

DW & I enjoyed a wonderful 7 days on the Sun the first week of April, this year. I'm in the wine and liquor business, so the price for wine was right. The corkage fee for wine was $15.00 per bottle, which was put on our account after being "scanned", prior to boarding. Each bottle was "tagged" with a small sticker stating that the corkage fee had indeed been paid. I also received a receipt that the corkage fee would be added to my shipboard account. I was then allowed to carry my wine aboard with me. You may then take your wine to dinner with you. The wait staff will check for the sticker, and you are well on your way to an enjoyable repast. (I also carried the corkage receipt with me as "back up" proof.):D Enjoy!!!

DW & I enjoyed a wonderful 7 days on the Sun the first week of April, this year. I'm in the wine and liquor business, so the price for wine was right. The corkage fee for wine was $15.00 per bottle, which was put on our account after being "scanned", prior to boarding. Each bottle was "tagged" with a small sticker stating that the corkage fee had indeed been paid. I also received a receipt that the corkage fee would be added to my shipboard account. I was then allowed to carry my wine aboard with me. You may then take your wine to dinner with you. The wait staff will check for the sticker, and you are well on your way to an enjoyable repast. (I also carried the corkage receipt with me as "back up" proof.):D Enjoy!!!

Exactly as it should work and is intended. Bring the wines you love enjoy them onboard. Everybody wins.

i saw on a thread somewhere that you could only bring wines that were not available through ncl, is that correct? if so the wine list on the website is dated 2005 and i wonder if it had changed.

i saw on a thread somewhere that you could only bring wines that were not available through ncl, is that correct? if so the wine list on the website is dated 2005 and i wonder if it had changed.

That was the rule a couple years ago. Now with the corkage I don't believe it is an issue.

We also are wine lovers but didn't want to carry several bottles onboard. Instead, each day we would go to the martini bar and select a wine from their list, sign it to our account and take it back with us to the cabin where we would enjoy it later in the evening as we watched the world go by. Thoroughly enjoyable.

We also are wine lovers but didn't want to carry several bottles onboard. Instead' date=' each day we would go to the martini bar and select a wine from their list, sign it to our account and take it back with us to the cabin where we would enjoy it later in the evening as we watched the world go by. Thoroughly enjoyable.[/quote']

Great tip!

Thank you:)

We also are wine lovers but didn't want to carry several bottles onboard. Instead' date=' each day we would go to the martini bar and select a wine from their list, sign it to our account and take it back with us to the cabin where we would enjoy it later in the evening as we watched the world go by. Thoroughly enjoyable.[/quote']

Stillfloatin': What kind of prices did you find for bottles of wine onboard?

Our TA included a bottle of wine which is to be delivered to our stateroom. We plan to drink it on our balcony and even bring our own corkscrew (if it's needed). However, should we decide to take it to dinner with us I imagine we will be charged the corkage fee, right?

Our TA included a bottle of wine which is to be delivered to our stateroom. We plan to drink it on our balcony and even bring our own corkscrew (if it's needed). However, should we decide to take it to dinner with us I imagine we will be charged the corkage fee, right?

No, because the bottle was purchased via the ship.

Remember, the reason for the corkage fee is for the ship to make their profit. It has nothing to do with taking the cork out, etc. Once you, or your TA pay the $25+ for a bottle of wine, then drink away.

Personally, we must be wino's. We would drink the TA bottle in the room and order one at dinner. Actually, we don't mind paying at dinner since they do have to bring it out, open, pour, etc.

Stillfloatin': What kind of prices did you find for bottles of wine onboard?

We were able to purchase a nice bottle of pinot noir or merlot for around $26. Not bad. And the bartender will open it for you if you forget your corkscrew.

Does anyone know if the corkage fee is the same no matter what size wine bottle? For instance, can I take a 1.5 liter for the same corkage fee as a 750ml, or do they double the fee?

Thanks for any info:D

The corkage fee is double - $30. for a bigger bottle. Our bottle was a little bigger and they were going to charge us $30, but my husband asked them to keep it at $15. and they did. (he handed the guy $3.)

Many others have only been charged the $15 for larger bottles. You are the first poster I have seen that was asked for 2x.

That would put an end to the 5 liter box o wine - corkage $75 :eek: :D

Have not heard of anyone getting nailed with the box wine corkage fee yet, but in reality it would still be worth it, hurt ya big time, but compared to buying wine at $25-$30 bottle, it would be acceptable. This of course assumes you would drink a fair amount of wine in your cabin, or at least fill a glass on your way to wherever you were going.

Or as some have done, take two boxes, if one gets through without corkage fee and the other one doesn't, let em keep it. $crew 'em. Consider the lost box a token "corkage fee". Besides, ever try to CORK a box wine?

Everyone talks about corkage fees for wine, but what about whiskey? Can one pay a corkage fee for whiskey also? Last winter on the Star we took 4 pints of wiskey on board in our carry on bags with out being caught. If we wanted to be sure of getting it on could we just pay a $15 corkage fee?

Charles

No corkage for whiskey. You either take your chances and they might hold it till the end of the cruise, or you buy the bar setup, which is not too bad.

There are a few hundred threads on both topics here on the NCL boards.

NCL stands for NO CUSTOMER LIQUOR.

Archived