Can we go to St John if we get into St Thomas at 1?

Jef

Going on Explorer on Friday. I want to go to Trunk Bay (not with RCCL) and I know the taxis run till the night time, but has anyone know how that worked out with the Explorer last week? Any problems? What time could you get to Trunk Bay? I'm thinking about 2 or 2:30.

Never been to a port where we don't get into 1 and since were going to another island, I have a lot of concerns.

Thanks

Without knowing what time your ship leaves St.Thomas, it is difficult to answer your question. If you will be in Charlotte Amalie for several hours or more, however, I see no reason why you could not go to St. John, spend an hour or two there and return and still have time in St. Thomas. Check out the ferry schedule and see if you can make it work.

The RCI site shows you'll be in St.Thomas till 11PM, so going to Trunk Bay will be no problem. Check the Ports Forum here and you'll find some good info on getting to St. John on your own. Everyone should go to Trunk Bay at least once. It is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere...enjoy.

Bon Voyage.

DO NOT take the 5 pm ferry back to Red Hook from St. John's!! This is when the locals leave work and go back to St. Thomas! We were there 2 weeks ago and didn't know this happens. But our experience was maddening and upsetting.

We were 3rd in line for our ferry tickets at St. Johns....there were about 20 of us tourists waiting for the ticket booth to be manned...and there were about 10 local folks sitting in the waiting area. When the ferry pulled up, all of a sudden over 150 local people...men and women both.... came out of nowhere quietly overtaking the line of tourists pushing their way up to the front of the line acting like we weren't even there. They were not aggressive but would give us a dirty look and place themselves in front of us...and of course nobody said anything because there were so many of them and so few of us. Couples became separated as did children from parents. It was scary. This went on and on until the locals had filled the ferry leaving few seats for tourists .They would just glare at us as we filed by. Those that got seats at all had to sit in the back upper deck with the heat of the air-conditioning unit blowing on you the whole way. And there were tourists who were left standing on the pier who needed to get back to the ship. It was a very humiliating and maddening experience.

IMO this should not be allowed to happen. The tourists are vital to their economy and we should not be subjected to this situation. They could have 2 ferries running to accomodate everybody.

. SO DON"T Take the 5:00 ferry...you will regret it!

Archived