Disembarkation in New York

Cardinal999

Hello everyone.

I’ve been following the Cruise Critics message board (well, the Cunard section at least) for a few weeks with interest, so I thought I’d take the plunge and register so that I could take part in the discussions!

I’m in my early thirties and live on the outskirts of London, England, and I’ve been interested in ocean liners from an early age. I made an ambition when I was a kid to one day cross the Atlantic to New York on QE2 and return on Concorde, but of course my plans have now been scuppered somewhat! However, my partner and I are planning to make the crossing on QM2 next June (although as I type this we still haven’t booked the voyage….) and over the last few months I’ve been furiously reading up on the ship and all she has to offer.

That’s how I came across this message board, and I must say that all the discussions and reviews have been really helpful, so thank you! I’m not really into cruising as such and don’t really have a lot of interest in other cruise lines or ships, and so I’m not sure how much I’m going to be able to offer here in the way of knowledge or experience, but it’ll be nice to keep up with everybody’s views and thoughts on both QM2 and of course QE2, a ship which I’m also a big fan of. I’m undecided on QV at the moment; at present I think I’m siding with the more traditional posters here in that she will be a bit of an odd-ball in amongst such ‘traditional’ Cunard vessels, but time will tell I suppose!

Anyway, apologies for such a lengthy introduction; I do actually have a question to ask, even if it may be a bit of a silly one! Seeing as QM2 arrives in New York very early in the morning, does this realistically mean that we’d have to spend several hours walking around the city with our suitcase in tow before we’d be able to check into our hotel (assuming that the earliest check-in time at most hotels is mid-day)? I guess what I’m really wondering is what time we are likely to disembark once the ship has arrived at the passenger terminal.

Apologies if this has been answered explicitly on another thread before but if it has I couldn’t find it!

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Regards,

Antony

Hi, and welcome.

I've yet to check into an hotel and them not have the means to take in luggage before your room is ready and store it for you, either while you spend money in their coffee shop or resturant, or while you do some sight seeing. Sometimes they do it for free, sometimes there is a charge. If in doubt call the hotel and ask (or e-mail). If they are un-helpful and you've yet to book the hotel, don't and tell them why! Remember, you won't be the only one on your crossing in the same position, nor the first one to arrive at dawn with hours to kill before your room is ready. In the small print Cunard encourage you to book the hotel for the night before you arrive so that the room is ready when you are, however, that idea really don't float my boat, paying a lot of money for an empty room!

Enjoy your crossing

Thanks for the advice, Pepper.

Incidentally, I’m sorry to hear about your mate.

I was in Portsmouth yesterday afternoon and just managed to get to Southampton to see QM2 depart for New York. The weather was atrocious at the time though so I’m not sure that you missed a great send-off anyway – in fact it was so bad that the wind absolutely pulverised my umbrella!

Regards,

Antony

Antony,

Welcome to the board! By the time you have cleared immigration, got in a taxi and hit Manhattan it will probably be getting on for noon-ish....as you check in drop into the conversation that you've just arrived on the QM2.....sufficiently unusual....so on each of my crossings they have always been able to find me a room straight away - and failing that, the concierge will look after your bags - and while they might appreciate a tip for so doing, I've never heard of them charging, if you are staying at the hotel. Of course, if you are on a Cunard package with many other people trying to check into the same hotel at the same time, you may have a different experience.

Peter

We had booked our hotel through Cunard (Sheraton Towers, 2 nights) and were picked up by a coach circa 9am and taken on a tour of the city with a couple of stops:

1. The Financial Center (by Ground Zero) - handy for the restrooms

2. Pier 17 (I think) - good view of QM2 in the background (and more rest rooms I believe)

3. Grand Central Station - a longer stop, we bought ourselves lunch downstairs (more rest rooms!)

We got to the hotel at 2.30pm and were in our room about half an hour later. (Slight delay in getting the keys ready for our bulk arrival)

It was our first visit to NY, so this tour was great for us. The tour guide was excellent. The luggage was always secure as the driver remained with coach.

One couple did de-camp from the coach tour, and their luggage was dropped at the hotel with everyone else's - where it was taken straight to our rooms.

That's the Cunard hotel process.....

Good Morning, Anthony and welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find a huge amount of helpful information on this site. I have been on the QM2 twice and had a delightful trip both times. I agree with the advice Pepper has given you regarding storing your luggage at the hotel if you arrive before your room is available. Another thing to consider is just having a leisurely morning on the ship and be among the last group disembarking the ship. You may very likely still arrive at your hotel prior to check-in but it should be late morning. When you book your hotel room in New York City request early check-in.

Pepper, so sorry to hear about your friend who died so unexpectedly. Take care. I have never noticed the "fine print" about booking your hotel room for the night before your arrival. Interesting!

Beth

Thanks for the advice, Pepper.

Incidentally, I’m sorry to hear about your mate.

I was in Portsmouth yesterday afternoon and just managed to get to Southampton to see QM2 depart for New York. The weather was atrocious at the time though so I’m not sure that you missed a great send-off anyway – in fact it was so bad that the wind absolutely pulverised my umbrella!

Regards,

Antony

Anthony,

Thanks for this information, I'm very glad I didn't make the journey to Southampton now, getting cold and wet is something I try to avoid these days, all the effects of being at sea in a storm without the up side of being aboard a ship!

Also, thank you for your kind message.

Pepper, so sorry to hear about your friend who died so unexpectedly. Take care. I have never noticed the "fine print" about booking your hotel room for the night before your arrival. Interesting!

Beth

Beth

Thank for your great words. Very good of you (and others) to take the time to say so. Much appreciated.

Extra night (from Oct 06-April 08 brochure)

"Hotel space may be limited during certain major events or holidays and therefore it is recommended that you book early. Rates are subject to change and do not include early check-in. To guarantee this, it is advisable to purchase an additional night prior to arrival".

No thank you Cunard.

Very best wishes

Archived