Bear Watching tours - Ketchikan

firstcruise2006

Hi. Going on our first cruise at the end of July on the Sapphire Princess. Get to Ketchikan at the very end of July (something like the 29th). Have booked the Bear Watching that goes to Traitor Cove, I think. However, from reading a lot of these messages they all say that Anan Creek is better for bears? Princess Cruises stop offering that on the 22nd of July though so unless we book independently (my fiancee is a bit nervous about doing this) we can't do that.

I guess I just want reassurance that we are likely to see bears at Traitor Cove and that Anan Creek isn't that much better. Or if it is then why is it so much better and is it safe to book independently? Is the viewing angle similar at both?

Did also have the option of Neets Bay if anyone thinks that is better.... We thought that it sounded less 'in the wild'.....

Finally, does anyone know which tour company Princess Cruises use to do these trips?

I have been to Anan and Neets Bay. Anan is the top spot and end of July is peak. Look for availablity with http://www.islandwings.com and http://www.southeastaviation.com and inquire their opinion of locations, since they also go to Traitor's. You have NO concern with either of these long standing independents. Just fantastic tours, and may be some savings too??

I know that ship booked tours seem to offer a security factor. But in Alaska you have no concerns using independents who offer superior tours with more personal attention and time usually.

Archived