Is HAL a good for 1st time seniors?

debby130

I need your help finding the right cruise for my parents. they are in there 60s and 70s. My mon isn't to keen on dressing up for dinner. She likes to wear nice slacks my dad a sport coat. DH and I have taken our family on several carnival cruises but I would like to take the folks on something a little more grown up. what do you think?.... they are well traveled but are getting so they don't want to deal with the driving,booking hotels,handling the luggage etc. I think they would love a cruise if I could get them to try it. Please advise. thanks Deb

HAL is a more formal line and, yes, you are expected to dress for dinner. There are different levels of dress, depending on the dress code for the evening. Usually two formal nights when you should at least be in a presentable business suit and something quite nice for the ladies. The other nights should be what you would wear to a fine restaurant -- which is where you will be.

They can eat in the Lido buffet, which (as I understand it) is always informal. But, if they are going to be on the ship, they should understand that there is a dress code.

HAL would be perfect for them. With like kind cruising with them and senior related activites and entertainment they can't go wrong with the smaller HAL ships. Stay away from the Vista lines for that first time. May be too big for them. And as far as dressing up, HAL has the least formal dress codes of all the ship lines. Sad but true.

You can get by with just a sport coat and tie on formal nights. Sure a dark business suit would be better but if you don't have to why do it? You will find many of the seniors in their finest golf colors sport coat with loud ties on for the formal nights. The ladies can always get by with dressy slacks on formals. Go for it!

And as far as dressing up, HAL has the least formal dress codes of all the ship lines. Sad but true.
I also think that HAL would be good for your parents, but I don't believe it has the least formal dress code. Other lines, such as NCL, has its freestyle dining with different dress codes for different restaurants.

Just off the Maasdam, and my observations were those of F5Loar. It seems anything goes, so I think they would be fine. Please don't let the dresscode discourage you from booking them on HAL. That was one of the reasons I did not book dh and I on HAL for October(I cruised solo last week) and I realize now that the dresscode is not what this board indicates. Yes, I did adhere to the dresscode, but many did not, and it didn't seem to effect anyone. Your parents will LOVE Hal...book it!!!!!

Marie

We were on the Volendam,June 2-9. It was evident in my observations that any individual who seemed frail or had mobility problems was given immediate and considerate attention by the well trained HAL crew, particularly at the Lido buffet where trays were carried and coffee, tea,and water were obtained for such individuals. I am 6'1" and 215 lbs. but I do have a leg brace which is obviously noticeable when I am wearing shorts. Although I do look relatively fit and I am not quite a senior at 56 years of age, it was my experience that the crew is most accommodating to their passengers.

Peter, that is really good to know. My dad will be recovering from radiation and kemo treatments for lung cancer. He's always been pretty fit for being in his late 70's but its good to know that assistance is near by if we need it.

HAL would be perfect for them. With like kind cruising with them and senior related activites and entertainment they can't go wrong with the smaller HAL ships. Stay away from the Vista lines for that first time. May be too big for them. And as far as dressing up, HAL has the least formal dress codes of all the ship lines. Sad but true.

You can get by with just a sport coat and tie on formal nights. Sure a dark business suit would be better but if you don't have to why do it? You will find many of the seniors in their finest golf colors sport coat with loud ties on for the formal nights. The ladies can always get by with dressy slacks on formals. Go for it!

Mom would go for a formal night or two. She just didn't want dress up everynight. We could go shopping for a fancy pantsuit. thankyou for your help everyone. I will be checking out HAL for sure. Now where to go is the next decision. I thought maybe Bermuda or the western Caribbean. What do you think? thanks Deb

Don't let the "dress codes" hold you (or them) back. Many, many of the ladies opt for a long black skirt and a fancy jacket -- easy to pack and easy to wear-- for "formal nights." Hal has a long history of satisfying seniors. Your parents will love it. And don't get me wrong. I loved Hal in my late 30's, in my 40's, and DW and I are planning to go back now that we are in our 50's.

NCL does have personal choice but if you decide to go formal they have not put in the sport coat and tie, it's still business suit or tux and they tend to enforce it since you can go elsewhere. HAL is the only line I know of that includes "sport coat and tie" in the dress code description for formal night.

I feel sure if you showed up in sport coat and tie on a formal NCL night they would let you in but it's not in their codes. Maybe I should say HAL is the most lax on formal night in written dress code. I've not seen any line turn away a coat and tie on formal night. Less than that they might. That's a big "might" when it concerns HAL cause what I've seen on the Zuiderdam and Maasdam they really don't care what you wear. HAL's dress code has become a joke to most since hundreds on any given night don't follow it.

:eek: :eek: ! HAL IS THE PERFECT CHOICE IMHO!

We are in your folks age bracket. Our first cruise was Maasdam, Eastern Caribbean. My Ed loved it so much he did not want to get off after one week! Duty free shopping in St. Thomas would likely intrigue your Mom, and maybe your Dad too. They can be as active or inactive as they wish.

"Formal" nights, two usually, are fine with long black skirt or evening slacks, fancy top. Dad with dark suit and tie is fine. Since in our day- to -day world we do not dress up, it is rather fun to get all gussied up on those evenings! There will be photo opportunities with the Capt.

The S class ships are easy to get around on with their smaller size.

Good luck with whatever you choose,but that started us on becoming

the cruise addicts we have become.

Ginny & Ed

Go for it! We're the same age as your parents and we're going on back to back cruises in Nov 2004 on the Veendam to the Carribean. The shuttle picks us up at our house, the driver loads our luggage. We arrive at the pier and the driver unloads our luggage. The ship's handlers take it and deliver it to your cabin. Pretty easy, huh?

You won't run into many children on HAL. No rowdy parties in the cabin next to yours either. The few children on board seem to be well behaved.

If you're unsteady carrying your meals in the Lido there are normally personnel their to help.

Wear a tux or a business suit on formal nights. Who are you there to impress?Most of the ladies wore nice dresses, some wore fancy duds. Some people like to dress up.

On the ship most everyone wears shorts and shortsleeve or even T-shirts. The ships are spotless and well-run. The Indonesian and Filipino crew are first-class.

Americanis-Chandris-Dec 1985

Inspiration-Carnival-Dec 2002

Noordam-HAL-Mar 2003

Triumph-Carnival-Jul 2003

Noordam-HAL-Dec 2003

Horizon-Celebrity-Mar 2004

Veendam-HAL-Apr 2004

Veendam_HAL-Nov 2004

Veendam-HAL-Nov 2004

Horizon-Celebrity- Dec 2004

Horizon-Celebrity-Jan 2005

Archived