Evening Whale watch or River Float in Juneau?

AVAMARIE

We are sailing on the Norwegian Star in August and 1/2 of our group is doing the evening Whale watch and the other half is doing the River Float. My dbf and I are still undecided as to which one to do. Can someone who has done either or both help us decide? I would love to do both if I could. We have done the Mt. Roberts Tram and went out to the Mendenhall glacier last time.

Thanks!

HI, I am going on the evening whale watch next week. Our cruise leaves Sat. We are on the Sapphire Princess. I know it will be hard to find this thread in 2 weeks when we get back, so if you would like to email me, feel free. Then when I get back, I can find you and let you know. I wish I had a laptop, so I could post every day's adventure for people. My email is evilhousekeeper at yahoo dot com.

Of all the Alaska tours I have taken the Mendenhall River float trip is near the bottom of my list and I never recommend it. You get only a brief distant view of the glacier, rest of trip is trees and back yards. I completely agree that money is better spent elsewhere, especially on whale watching if it is the other choice- go with that- hand's down!!!!!

Thank you so much for your imput. I told my daughter (age 21) about the river float and now she has changed her mind too. It looks like the whale watch will be our choice. I am so glad I asked. How disappointed we would have been, especially when everyone came back and raved about how wonderful their whale watch was!! Thanks again. I am always learning so much from these boards.

Archived