Connecting balconies on the Star

Linda L

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that some of you long time NCL cruisers will be able to help me with a balcony question. We have a group cruise on the Star booked for the Mexican Rivera in April 07. There are a lot of us with balcony cabins and wondered if we would be able to open the balcony doors between our cabins. Thanks for any help with this.

Linda

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that some of you long time NCL cruisers will be able to help me with a balcony question. We have a group cruise on the Star booked for the Mexican Rivera in April 07. There are a lot of us with balcony cabins and wondered if we would be able to open the balcony doors between our cabins. Thanks for any help with this.

Linda

Your room steward will have a special key to open them for you. Then, they can remain open for the entire cruise.

We just did this in Alaska. We had 4 cabins next to each other and the room steward opened the door between all of the balconies on the first day. It was great. We could visit back and forth as well as have a better view.

Thanks for your help everyone. I am more confused then ever now. My travel agent called NCL and inquired about opening the doors between balconies on the Star and was told that you could not open the balcony doors between rooms. Because this is a group cruise we have not paid our full deposit yet. We have until Dec UNLESS whe want to pick our specific cabin numbers now. If we are able to visit between the balconies we will definately pay the full deposit now and get our cabin assignments right away.

Thanks again.

Linda

My travel agent called NCL and inquired about opening the doors between balconies on the Star and was told that you could not open the balcony doors between rooms.

Like Deb, we had adjoining cabins on the starboard side of the Star down in Mexico (11th deck, don't recall the exact cabin numbers), and we were able to open the doors. So it looks like NCL needs to get that accurate info out----no telling how many potential bookings they might have lost out on.

Jerry

I think the problem might be that you have not yet picked out your cabins yet. Some of the balconys do not have the door that can open. (for example, the front and back of the ship.) I have been on the Star and we opened our balconies. We were on the port side each time, once in catagory BB and another time in catagory BA.

I say go for it and besides, I have never heard of not being able to pick your cabins until after your final payment. We picked our cabins for the Dawn about a month before the deposit was due. Also, you deposit is fully refundable for a certain amount of time. Book your cabins and see what you can get.

I just thought I would let everyone know that I thought I would call NCL myself and ask them about the connecting balconies. After being put on hold for 15 minutes the gentelman who I was talking to came back and said our chance of getting a connecting balcony was 50/50. I asked him if he could give me the deck and some cabin numbers of the 50% of the cabins that had connecting balconies and he said just a minute and put me on hold again. After another long wait he came back and said they could not tell me that information because it is a hazard to have the balcony doors open between cabins. WHAT! I have been on 12 cruises in the past 10 years and have never heard of such a thing. Now I am beginning to wonder if we made a mistake booking this cruise line for our next group cruise. Non of us have ever been on NCL so we were anxious to give it a try. I can certainly see that if we do have any other problems or questions that their customer service dept will not be any help. I have asked my travel agent to dig a little deeper and see if she can get a straight answer for anybody.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Linda

I just thought I would let everyone know that I thought I would call NCL myself and ask them about the connecting balconies. After being put on hold for 15 minutes the gentelman who I was talking to came back and said our chance of getting a connecting balcony was 50/50. I asked him if he could give me the deck and some cabin numbers of the 50% of the cabins that had connecting balconies and he said just a minute and put me on hold again. After another long wait he came back and said they could not tell me that information because it is a hazard to have the balcony doors open between cabins. WHAT! I have been on 12 cruises in the past 10 years and have never heard of such a thing. Linda

Linda: NCL is notorious for its reps giving misinformation like you got. (For example: My TA was told that cabins that up on the NCL website as available may not really be available because the website is three days behind! Others on this board quickly put that misinformation down with proof.)

Now here is the proof: I have been on the Star twice and have had balcony doors open! I have seen this for other cabins too.

How about some cabin numbers that I know can have balconies open. (sorry can only give you four together because that is what we had: 10550, 10552, 10556, 10558 (I know, it skips, there is no 10554) These are BA cabins

BB cabins: 9552, 9556, 9558. Sorry, we only had 3 cabins on this cruise...lol

Try again and hopefully talk to a different rep. I'm sure you will get a different answer.

Archived