Seaquariaum Mambo Beach

vermonter16

This is actually in response to a message someone posted on here a week ago...and I wasn't able to answer because of the updating of the boards. So Geri, I hope you get this.

I actually loved Curacao...the bit that I saw. After seeing so few postings I thought it was going to be a disappointing port...it wasn't. The city is so lively and it was a lovely experience sitting in the square (you'll find it by walking around) having a drink.

Mambo Beach was great! You'll have to take a taxi there and you might want to reserve one for the way back although we did notice one other taxi at the beach...and maybe it was an offday for ships or something.

You have to pay to get in and you have to pay for chairs...it is only a couple of bucks each. It is a beautiful beach with plenty of opportunity for shade because of all the palm trees. The water is nice and there are rocks you can swim out to and snorkel around as well. I didn't do it but there were pleny of other folks doing it.

Again, I thought that this was going to be a disappointing port with a disappointing beach but I would go back in a second. If you have any questions please ask... Oh yes, you can get food and drinks on the beach as well...they have a pretty neat bar/food/restaurant set up. And I will get a real good taxi drivers name...who was the cheapest of all and was right on time to pick us up. I think he might have email. I'll look for his business card.

vermonter16

vermonter16 .... Wonderful Review! So glad you posted again on this New Board because we had/have some more questions we need to ask you!

A little confused about Mambo Beach / Seaquarium.

Do you have to pay to go to The Seaquarium to use the Seaquarium Beach? (On other threads ... some folks say Yes, while others say No ???) .... Or can we just pay to go to the beach?

Do we tell our driver that we want to go to Mambo Beach or Seaquarium Beach?

Are taxi rides there about $12 - $15 Each Way? (Sound about right?)

Are there any hotels near by? (In case of taxi problems returning having a hotel close is helpful for finding taxis.)

YES, we would love to have the information on your driver!

Our other times (3) in Curacao we went out on snorkel boats (very nice)... and also agree with you on having a wonderful time in town at "the square" (fun to sit back with a drink and people watch!)

Thanks again for your review and looking forward to your continued help!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I completely forgot and will get the taxi information to you either later today or tomorrow. The fare was just that between $12 - $15 each way and the gentleman was right on time with picking us back up.

The locals call it Mambo Beach and we call it the Seaquarium Beach...they taxi drivers know it by both.

There is an admission to get in...I'm going to go try and find the webpage for the place. I just tried for a few minutes (I'm at work) but with no luck...I'll get a chance to look later. It should have all the details. I remember it being a couple bucks to get in and a couple of bucks for chairs. There is a hotel and resort just down the beach so you could always call for a cab from there...but there are open air bars and restaurants so I'm sure they could call for you too... However, when we went out to grab our taxi there were a couple of taxis sitting there waiting to pick folks up.

I'll post later with more information for you.

Vermonter16

Hi there,

I found a website for the sea aquarium

http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com/

I hope that helps a bit...it shows you some shots of the beach and that is what it really looks like. I believe admission is around $3 pp and possibly $3 per chair... It is all worth it.

The taxi guys name is Donald Martina tel# (5-99) 667-5214 but he also has email so if you wanted to arrange something ahead of time it is:

donaldmartina@hotmail.com

Very nice guy...very dependable...and one of the only taxi drivers whose rate was cheapest (we asked a few) and was the same on the way back. He's a real good guy and will tell you about history on the way if you ask. He'll even stop at the top of the huge bridge (you'll see it when you get there...trust me) so you can take a picture from above of your ship :)

vermonter16

• 4 weeks later...

vermonter16 ... Great INFORMATION! Thank you so very much!!!!! Such good pictures of The Seaquarium Beach! :)

Just don't know which beach to do? :confused: Should we go to The Seaquarium Beach or to The Kontiki Beach Resort? :confused:

Whatever .... Can't thank you enough for your info and, especially, the email address of your wonderful Taxi driver!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I found a website for the sea aquarium

http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com/

I hope that helps a bit...it shows you some shots of the beach and that is what it really looks like. I believe admission is around $3 pp and possibly $3 per chair... It is all worth it.

The taxi guys name is Donald Martina tel# (5-99) 667-5214 but he also has email so if you wanted to arrange something ahead of time it is:

donaldmartina@hotmail.com

Very nice guy...very dependable...and one of the only taxi drivers whose rate was cheapest (we asked a few) and was the same on the way back. He's a real good guy and will tell you about history on the way if you ask. He'll even stop at the top of the huge bridge (you'll see it when you get there...trust me) so you can take a picture from above of your ship :)

vermonter16

Thank you so much for this info! We're going to Curacao for the first time in Jan.

If we go to the beach, will we be missing anything else important to see? Will this taxi driver do a partial tour for us, too? Any help will be much appreciated!

NitaBCruising--I hope someone can answer that for you because I need to know almost the same thing. We want to snorkle at the Seaquarium but we would really like to see some of the island first. Would it be best to look for an island bus tour when we get off of the ship that would drop us off at the Seaquarium or to just take a taxi to the Seaquarium & hope we see some of the island on the way? Thanks for any info! Susan

We just got back 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time in Curacao. We found a taxi when we got off the ship and asked for a city tour which would end at the Seaquarium beach. We spent almost 2 hrs. touring the city (I think we paid $10 per person, maybe $15?) and were dropped off at the entrance to the Seaquarium. We were told by an employee at one of the shops to just take a lounge chair and the security would come by and ask for a charge of $3 per chair. Sure enough, security found us and we paid. We stayed at the beach directly next to the Seaquarium which is called Mambo Beach. It was much less crowded than further down and so beautiful. After spending a couple of hours at the beach, we took a taxi into town, had lunch along the canal, and shopped. We then walked back over the floating bridge on our way back to the ship and shopped at the vendors along the way. I was told by many of the locals that the beaches on the west side of the island are even more beautiful than where we were. You might want to ask a cab driver. Curacao was definately one of my favorite islands!! Have fun!

We just got back 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time in Curacao. We found a taxi when we got off the ship and asked for a city tour which would end at the Seaquarium beach. We spent almost 2 hrs. touring the city (I think we paid $10 per person, maybe $15?) and were dropped off at the entrance to the Seaquarium. We were told by an employee at one of the shops to just take a lounge chair and the security would come by and ask for a charge of $3 per chair. Sure enough, security found us and we paid. We stayed at the beach directly next to the Seaquarium which is called Mambo Beach. It was much less crowded than further down and so beautiful. After spending a couple of hours at the beach, we took a taxi into town, had lunch along the canal, and shopped. We then walked back over the floating bridge on our way back to the ship and shopped at the vendors along the way. I was told by many of the locals that the beaches on the west side of the island are even more beautiful than where we were. You might want to ask a cab driver. Curacao was definately one of my favorite islands!! Have fun!

Thanks for your reply!

You say you toured the city for a couple of hours. What was there to see? Is there nothing to see on the rest of the island?

Thanks for any help!

The city tour included a stop at a rum factory (free samples), a gift shop with a scenic view, a photo stop on a bridge, and a tour of the hotel area and main shopping area. It was a nice overview, but we really enjoyed just strolling around the shops and eating outdoors along the canal. The beaches are just wonderful, too. I could have spent a lot more time at this port.

The city tour included a stop at a rum factory (free samples), a gift shop with a scenic view, a photo stop on a bridge, and a tour of the hotel area and main shopping area. It was a nice overview, but we really enjoyed just strolling around the shops and eating outdoors along the canal. The beaches are just wonderful, too. I could have spent a lot more time at this port.

Karadsheh--Thanks for the information. Since we don't care about seeing the rum factory and it doesn't sound like there was much else to see , do you think we should just take a taxi to the Seaquarium & beach first and then just take a taxi later in the day back to town for some "shopping & scenery"? It sounds like we really wouldn't miss much by skipping the island tour. What do you think? Thanks! Susan

Karadsheh--Thanks for the information. Since we don't care about seeing the rum factory and it doesn't sound like there was much else to see , do you think we should just take a taxi to the Seaquarium & beach first and then just take a taxi later in the day back to town for some "shopping & scenery"? It sounds like we really wouldn't miss much by skipping the island tour. What do you think? Thanks! Susan

Susan, I'm with you. A very short tour, no rum factory, would suit me fine, also. I would like to stop at the bridge for a photo, though.

Karadsheh, what do you think???

And thanks for your advice!!! :D

I agree, you wouldn't really miss that much by not taking a city tour. The tour guide we used didn't give us any options on what we wanted to see, so we just went with the flow. It was interesting, though. The beach and walking over the floating bridge to the shopping area are a must. I really think you will enjoy the island.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all posters, this is great info. We will be there in Feb. and are very excited!!

Kontiki, Mambo, Seaquarium - it's all the same stretch of sand. Different developers set up bars there.
Dushi - Thanks for clearing this up, I had read great things about these spots and was under the impression that we were going to have to make a choice. Great to hear they are all basically the same spot.

Thanks! :) :)

• 1 month later...

Got busy with an Oct. cruise, and just now getting to planning the tours for the next one!

Thanks to all for the great info! I knew I'd read somewhere about this beach, and that I had this in mind, just forgot where I'd seen this at! :rolleyes:

I'll email the taxi driver to plan a tour!

• 2 weeks later...
Got busy with an Oct. cruise, and just now getting to planning the tours for the next one!

Thanks to all for the great info! I knew I'd read somewhere about this beach, and that I had this in mind, just forgot where I'd seen this at! :rolleyes:

I'll email the taxi driver to plan a tour!

NitaBcruising--did you contact Donald Martina? What did he tell you? We are still trying to decide what to do in Curacao. We definitely want to do the snorkel/encounter @ the Seaquarium. Our ship docks @ 8:00 so I thought I might sign us up for the 11:00 swim. Maybe he could pick us up @ 9:00, show us around & drop us off at the Seaquarium. What are you going to do? It is hard to decide since there aren't many posts on the boards about this port :) Thanks for your input! Susan

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long getting back here. :o I didn't hear from Donald Martina until a month went by, so recently got an email! He charges $30 an hour, for 1 to 4 persons. He said he knew of better beaches than Mambo, but I haven't emailed him back to see what! I think he expects me on the pier. I just came back over here to see if there was good snorkeling at Mambo, and decided to post! We have one other couple interested in going with us. I'll try to remember to post, after we get back. :)

I can tell you that when DH and I were at Mambo there didn't seem to be too much snorkeling going on and the sand in the water for your feet was really shelly. However, the snorkeling that was taking place was out about 100 feet or so...but we didn't try it.

I agree that there are a lot better beaches even though I haven't been to them. The only reason we did go to this beach was because it was close by. Otherwise Curacao is known for some of its snorkeling and some of its beaches especially on the western end...I really wanted to do a different beach but because we did not have a lot of time, definitely didn't know if we would find a reliable cabbie or not we didn't want to take our chances. But if we go back, we will do another beach and make arrangements with Donald because we know he's reliable. Curacao will not disappoint.

• 1 month later...

We did use Donald Martina. He was waiting at the pier with a sign with my name on it. The 4 of us wanted a 2 hour tour, with us being left off at Mambo Beach, and the others being dropped off in town to shop. We got a town tour, saw some interesting old, renovated buildings, plus some needing a lot of work still. Very colorful! We did stop on the Juliana Bridge for a great photo of town and the ship! We also stopped at the old synogoue in town, as we saw some friends there! We then stopped at an old hotel that was interesting. We made a quick stop at the Seaquarium, but didn't pay to go in. We were lucky to see a sea lion being walked to another spot! Pretty area!

We also went to the top of a lookout, where we could see most of the island! We got interested in some houses, ended up touring one being built! Beings we took a bit longer, it was a 3 hour tour, so $45 per couple.

It was $3 pp to get into Mambo Beach, plus another $3 pp for chairs. We had lunch at the restaurant there, then enjoyed the sun and water. Donald came back after us, exactly when we arranged. It was $12 for the return trip, and he let us off in town. We shopped a bit, then walked across the floating bridge and to the ship.

The tour was pretty good, and he was very reliable. I was glad to see some of the island, and wouldn't mind retiring there! Both of us couples were interested in the housing, hence the longer tour!

If you want to see some of the town and island, I would recommend him. Othrwise, just take a taxi to the beach and enjoy!

Here is the link to my cruise review, on the RCI board, with tour info!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=131020

Archived