Couples Massage

Hi just curious I have heard many good things about the couples massage ( I forget what it is called ) on Mariner, can I book that in advance for a sea day or do I have to wait till I get on board ? Also we are new to cruising and I am afraid I will forget or be in the wrong place at the wrong time and it will sell out for a sea day, I know there are limited times....... Also does anyone know how much it costs ?

Thank you so much in advance !!!:)

There will be spa reps available as soon as you board. If you don't see one on deck 4 (deck 5 on some ships) then there will be a couple of reps up on the deck that has the buffet (Windjammer). (Keep looking there will be others all over the rest of the ship too {just like ants!!!})If you want to book something, just do it then. They will have price sheets with them

On the Vision this spring my wife signed us up for a couples' massage class. I didn't think it would be worthwhile but it was great. There were only two couples in it and you learned how to give a basic massage to each other. They gave you a bottle of oil like they use on the ship (smells great) to take home.

We do now give each other short 15 minute massages evey few weeks and it is really great to share this time. It also really save money. It would be ideal for a honeymooning couple.

Buy them a gift certificate for a couples massage in their home town for them to use when they get back.

First everyone is always very busy on the ship and second everyone is always saddened to be back home and sore from the travel home.

So I recommend getting them a gift certificate to a spot close to their home. I think you will easily find a couples massage is most towns for around $150 or so. If you know their schedules you can even book their appt otherwise just get the gift certificate.

If you are loaded.... do both the ship's massage and the one for when they get back!

Check out this link

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/1485941/4/71143437

$220 for 50 min. Yikes...

I know, the $220 is VERY INEXPENSIVE for a good reputible message! We just got back from Toronto and a 50 minute couples message was $360 at Stillwater and in Vegas at Canyon Ranch it is about the same, maybe a little more. $220 for a good message is not bad at all!

Doing the couples message class is nice as well but I feel it only is effective if they know what the profesionals feel like to them so they can try to recreat that sensation for their spouse.

Usually you can make appointments for spa services as soon as you get on the ship the day of departure. Once you get on board, make your way up to the spa, and there is usually staff there to make appointments, and introduce you to the different services they offer. I believe the couples massage runs around $250.00, give or take a little. Usually, if you schedule it on a port day, it is discounted some. Sea days are more popular, so regular prices apply.

I guess I am just spoiled, I have friends who are professional massage therapasts. Around here the average 50min massage is $65. It sounds like fun, but if given the choice between a massage or seeing mayan ruins, I will take the history. This is our first vacation in 13yrs, and I have had to budget carefully, I will go with the once in a life time experiences over pampering myself anyday :)

Regarding pricing, the ship's prices are comparable to a resort.

If you go to a neighborhood spa catering to locals, you will save lots of money plus get a better service because they are definitely counting on you returning. In my local spa, they do not have a 50 min massage, they have a one hour massage; you get hands on for 1 hour for 65/hr per person with a setup fee added for the couples massage. I have noticed that 50 minute massages tend to occur at resorts where the therapists are hourly (counting mainly on tips for their money) and don't get breaks so the client prep time is taken from the hour.

I just am suggesting alternative ways to spend those hard earned $$$$s.

my two cents.....

One idea is if you want to buy a massage gift for a couple do it at home just BEFORE the wedding. You will save a bunch of money as the previous posters have stated and they will really need it from all the STRESS of getting everything ready. The massages will be better, longer, and cheaper. Then with the money saved get them the couples massage class on the ship once they can legally touch each other. :-)

I find that to be expensive for a massage. I go to a spa in my area and can get a 60 minute massage for $60 - best part about it is my health benefits at my workplace pay for it :D Now if only I could get them to pay for massages on the ship...

You know, when I first heard about the couples massage I thought it sounded like a pretty cool thing. I spoke to my DW about it and she said it sounded like one of my better ideas. So we signed up for the class and I watched intently while the instructor showed the different ways to perform massage on the tense parts of the shoulder, the lower back , etc. She was knoweldgeable and very professional. Frankly, I thought it might get a little "weird" , you know. So, after the group instructional lesson was over she says "Ok class, it's your turn, have at it! Well, I was barely 1/3 of the way through couples massage when all these women were shrieking and men were cussing and you'd have thought a fight was going to break out. My DW got up and walked out on me, apparently disappointed with all the noise people were making. To make matters worse, the instructor comes over to me and she's like all frantic and tells me "You... Stop right now and get off Mrs MacNamara's back. So I shot back "Look, I paid for Couples Massage and so far I have only massaged these three couples. I've got seven more to do and I'll be darned if I pay for 10 couples and only get to grope three".

So those of you are getting all excited about Couples Massage had better read the fine print in the brochure. It's not the deal you think. :D

Archived