Cadillac Mountian

chessie68

Cadillac Mountain

I just read in the travel guide that the shuttle bus that runs through the Acadia National park does not go on the summit road. Does anyone know how close the bus stops to the summit. I'd really like to get up to the summit without having to take a tour.

If it indeed does not go up the road to the mountain - I wouldn't think that it would be walkable - the road winds and twists and turns - some will ride bikes up, but I have never seen anyone walk - I would worry about getting run over - there is a lot of traffic and it isn't always easy to see people (or bikes). Jan Any one else have a different take on this???

PS - from the loop road (where the bus stops) - the walk up the mountain would be 3 1/2 miles long.

Thanks Jan. That 3 1/2 miles will certainly deter me. I am going to have to rethink things. I really didn't want to take a tour. I kind of wanted to explore the park on my own. The shuttle bus sounded like just the thing but I really really want to go to the summit.

Yes, thank you. I have been on that site. It is a fabulous site. That is where I got the confidence that I could do the park on my own. That is also where I read that the shuttle doesn't go on the summit road. They suggested that if you want to go to the summit to take one of the tour busses. I love vistas. I am sort of a weekend warrior when it comes to hiking. I like to do it but I don't do it much. I thought if it were about 3 1/2 miles total I could do it but 7 plus all the other beautiful areas might be more then my legs can take.

We arranged for At Your Service Taxi Co. to meet us at the tender peer. We were able to desgin our own tour, stopping at Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Cadillac Mountain Summit for as long as we wanted. Our driver provided local information and color and recommended a spot for lunch.

Archived