Seeking Effective Way to Get Free Cabin Upgrades

Carl in Tampa

Are upgrades one randomly by computer? That would be more haphazard than a human doing it. If that were the case they might see that I have three RCI cruises booked for 2015, and be kind to me!

Sometimes its for a specific reason - your cabin could use a repair that could be done at no inconvenience to you by moving you to an available cabin; sometimes its because a passenger on a back to back cruise doesn't want to switch cabins and they can easily move you to another location; I was bumped once when an entertainer wanted the room I had booked, and i got a much nicer balcony from the arrangement (I only found out why I had received the upgrade when my luggage was missing, and found in the "old" cabin assignment)

It does seem to be fairly random, but many times there is a reason according to people I know who were crew. the thing is its not always to a location you would choose, and once they switch you you have no say in relocating. That is why I now have "no upgrades" as my choice. If I get a better location its because I have seen a price drop that will give me a better category cabin for little or no more cost to me, then I call and make the switch...no finding out when I check in and its too late for me to have final say about relocating.