Dinner time

polymerpig

We have requested the 5:45 dinner seating. I know every single person can't be going through the door at 5:45...what is the time range? Do the doors open at 5:45, or are they opened earlier so we are seated by then? Do people keep coming in for a while, or do most really show up right around their assigned time. I'm not planning to be late...just wondering how it works :)

Doors open at the assigned dining time. There are usually many people waiting in line. If you are not the "wait in line" type of person, show up at the dining room about 5-10 minutes after your scheduled dining time. Caution though, you will usually not be served if you are more than 20-25 minutes past your scheduled dining time

I've found that being at the door 5 minutes past the assigned time works really well. The folks waiting to get in do so rather quickly, and I usually walk right in. Being later than 10 minutes - not a good idea. I've seen the Maitre d' close the doors 15 minutes after the scheduled time, which is fine. The waiters are on a pretty tight schedule, so being on time is being courteous.:)

Cotton, I've never noticed them closing the door, but I really wish they would do this fleetwide. Understandably, there are sometimes good reasons why people are late, but it would certainly send a message to those who are habitually late or think the dining times are flexible in the dining room.

Last year on the Elation, we got confused and changed the time on the clock a day early. We missed our excursion. Then we were in the cabin getting ready for dinner. Our friends had one of our walkie talkies and was saying we were late to dinner. Again because of the time change we did a day early. We ended up being 30 mins late to dinner but no one complained.

Of course we always choose the latest seating for dinner. If I had been on earlier seating it may have had a different reaction.

Cotton, I've never noticed them closing the door, but I really wish they would do this fleetwide. Understandably, there are sometimes good reasons why people are late, but it would certainly send a message to those who are habitually late or think the dining times are flexible in the dining room.

I think it's a great idea. I was seated fairly close to the doors on one of my Holiday cruises, and the Maitre d' closed those doors every evening at exactly 6:30. On the Paradise, I was seated in the center of the room facing the doors. Same thing...15 min. after time, the doors were closed. I did notice one evening that someone was 'rattling' the doors, but he didn't open them.:D Other cruises, I haven't been near the doors to notice.

Archived