Wierd experience w/child coming back to Miami

marquez305

Which reminds me, as you can see in my sig, we took our 4 children on a trip to Aruba...NOT a cruise but an actual land vacation.

When we were leaving Aruba, the customs officials asked each of my kids their names, what cities they lived in, who the adults were that were traveling with them, and the schools they went to as he had each childs birth certificates in their hands.

The kids answered (my youngest is only 6 at the time), then the customs officials asked them what they did in Aruba. My kids began to tell them all the exciting things they did.

They weren't pushy, rude, or what not...they were just doing their jobs, and I totally appreciated it to be honest with you. Especially when they asked who the adults were that were traveling with him.

Kind of gave me a little reassurance because we were leaving Aruba just shortly after the Natalie Hollaway disappearance.

i totally understand why they do this, but here is a odd question, as a parent to a 4 year child who has major speech problems and other special needs and would not be able to answers to what some think as simple questions i'm wondering what would happen? what would customs do? this is just a question iam throwing out there, we have never cruised with him but hope to soon, i quess getting his passport would be a good thing?

-thanks for answering my question

-marie

We've been through this with our 12-year old, who is several years delayed in speech and cognition. When we returned from one of our cruises, the customs official questioned everybody, passport or not. Fortunately, our son was able to answer the question posed to him, but if it had been a problem, I would have produced the doctor's note I always have on hand that explains his condition. Besides, I think a customs official would have noticed that he was a "special" child -- just as most others do.

Enjoy your cruise!

DH and I both have passports but I guess we should get one DS (5), Whats involved? ID? Birth cert and what else?
I'm hoping this will just be a redundant comment, but I see your next cruise is listed as Jan 07: if DS is going on that one he MUST have a passport. But you already know that, right??

We have passports for our kids now, but two years ago (when my son was 2) a customs agent called out "Ian" (my son's name) and waited to see if Ian looked up when called by name. My daughter was 6 at the time and was asked what her name was and where she lived.

Since getting the passports, traveling is is much easier! I highly recommend getting passports for children, even if they ARE only valid for 5 years.

I know that the law about requiring us to obtain passports has been delayed, and I was originally glad because well...I'm cheap! But...a friend of mine just got back from a cruise out of Miami, travelling with her husband, her almost 2 year old and another family...and she said she had a very uncomfortable thing happen when she got back.

At the point where you get off the ship and show your documents (license and birth certificates)to the official, they were stopped and pulled aside. She said that the very gruff female officer read her daughters birth certificate and then tried multiple times to get the child to respond to her name. The child just hid her head in her mothers shoulder. She said after about 4 minutes of this (which I guess felt much longer) the officer returned the childs bc and told them "go".

She said she felt really embarassed and the child actually had tears running down her cheeks when she finally got her head up.

I guess I'm an advocate for getting passports now...if this is how they ID children!

I witnessed a similar situation in St. THomas as the passengers cleared immigration.

I can certainly understand why a parent would be both horrified and relieved at the questioning of a child. It protects the child from being abducted, but if the immigration officers who are being paid to handle these situations aren't going to be just a little bit kinder for an obviously young, shy child it makes the situation much more difficult. I think the officer being unkind may also plant seeds of mistrust in the child's mind. Next time she's asked similar questions she might get frightened again. I think it's a great thing our identities are checked, I'd just appreciate a little tact.

I traveled from german many years ago with two infants and had our military passports taken from us for our protection. I was nervous for the entire trip to Dayton, Ohio. I will never travel withoout my passport. I am so happy they are making them mandatory in December. It is only for our protection.

We travel often w/ Grandkids. We are always in possession of a notarized letter from parents as well as bc or passport for the little ones. Once, on arrival to Paradise Island, Bahamas via plane our Granddaughter, who has a passport, was spoken to directly by the officer in customs, asking several questions on who we were etc. I wasn't offended at all. Actually was glad to know they checked!

Both parents must be present when you apply.

Not necessarily:

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation (for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

• Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 .

From: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

For All Minors Ages 14 to 17:

• Each minor child shall appear in person.
  • For security reasons, parental consent may be requested.
  • If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you need to accompany your child and present identification.
  • Follow instructions below.

From: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

My husband did not have to be present when our 17-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son applied for their passports, though I was present.

One year when I was at the passport office applying for new passports for my daughter and I. The passport official asked me if I would mind waiting for a few minutes and that she would be right back.

Then she came back and everything was fine, they processed our applications. Later when I got home my exhusband called me and said "Hey, the passport office called me today - asked me if I knew you were getting a passports'

I was really surprised, thats what this officer was doing when she asked me to wait... calling my exhusband :cool:

My daughter has been grilled at customs before- is this your mother? - where's your father? does your father know you are travelling? all kinds of questions.

Has it changed again?

State Department

Nope, hasn't changed... still needed by 1/1/2007... this is from the link you posted:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

I can certainly understand why a parent would be both horrified and relieved at the questioning of a child. It protects the child from being abducted, but if the immigration officers who are being paid to handle these situations aren't going to be just a little bit kinder for an obviously young, shy child it makes the situation much more difficult. I think the officer being unkind may also plant seeds of mistrust in the child's mind. Next time she's asked similar questions she might get frightened again. I think it's a great thing our identities are checked, I'd just appreciate a little tact.

Come on now. Suppose that an adult is trying to kidnap the child. As an adult with evil on the mind, who do you think would be most effective in scaring the pants off of you; Mary Poppins or Attila the Hun. The immigration officer is not there to make nice. They probably see things that would turn our stomachs. Their job is to prevent harm to that child. And, shyness can mimic fear....

Actually, this is pretty normal. They sometimes ask 2 questions, especially if you are coming back from a country that likes to get their children into the USA.

1. What is your name?

2. Are these your parents?

They many times ask, even if the children have Passports. Believe it or not, kids being snuck in or kidnapped usually are afraid to lie.

Come on now. Suppose that an adult is trying to kidnap the child. As an adult with evil on the mind, who do you think would be most effective in scaring the pants off of you; Mary Poppins or Attila the Hun. The immigration officer is not there to make nice. They probably see things that would turn our stomachs. Their job is to prevent harm to that child. And, shyness can mimic fear....

I can not believe this thread went this far. This was the OP first experience. Does any one see that.:confused: Give them a break!

I have never had any issues with my kids at immigration. I've been detained. Apparently there was someone with the same name in Florida who must have been a problem. I was born in England and my passport had expired (oops) so it gave them reason to look a little closer. They eventually let me go but it scared my kids really bad. They thougth I was going to jail or something. It was quite and experience. :rolleyes:

When I renewed my passport I made sure everyone got passports also.

You would think the agents would treat kids with a little sensitivity. They have to realize that they will be scared.

Archived