12 step meeting on QM2?

jtimmer

Does anyone know if there are any 12 step meetings on the QM2, either organized directly or through Canyon Ranch?

Yes you will see "Friends of Bill W" meetings along with "Friends of Dorothy". The latter is a gay group FYI.

You lot serious about Bill W? Beginning to think I lead a sheltered life, although I kicked myself with "friends of Dorothy". Obvious really, when you think about it!

12 steps sounds dubious though.

Well, I've heard the "Step" programs are serious and productive and I can see how they'd be especially helpful on a bar-at-sea, but, why the Canyon Ranch Spa?

I'd have a hard time paying attention with some woman walking on my back and rubbing oil into my shoulders. :)

Are there a lot of clubs and groups getting together for activities at sea?

By the way, to any members, why "Friends of Dorothy"? Scraggly Straw Man? Cowardly Lion? Heartless Tin Man? And a little rat dog? I'd guess it has something more to do with Dorothy. ???

But, every time I think of Judy Garland I think, wow, she'd look hot in a...

Well, never mind. :o

I know of that connection. Heck of a woman who can be an object of lust and/or affection to one and all. Still, if I were president of that club, I'd change the name to "Friends of Cary Grant".

Every cruise line I have ever been on has daily FOB (friends of Bill W) meetings. Bill W and another gent whose name escapes me now, wrote "the book" on the twelve step program to sobriety. My one gripe with 12 step programs is that the whole premise is that you give it over to your "higher power", whatever that may be for you. At no time are you supposed to pat yourself on the back for your accomplishment. I suppose the idea is if you take the credit for the success, then you are responsible for the failure, and alcoholism (and other isms) is a disease. Self-blame is rarely productive. Self-awareness is, but not self-blame. Who knows why one person can drink casually withiut a problem and just one drink leads to a splippery slope for another. Both my mother and my ex-husband were alcoholics. I count myself lucky that I am not...yet, as they say- I think it is not likely that I will ever become one, but that is like saying I am sure I will never get cancer. No one knows what might send someone down that path. Certainly not I!

All I know is that for many, many people. the twelve step programs work. I know people who have been sober for 27 years, but still feel that if they do not attend a daily meeting, they will fall. I have had philosphical "arguments" with friends, but for them, sobriety is too precious to take that chance, and what is the harm in going to meetings if it is not taking anything away from their life? It's no different than playing bridge every night or watching TV or reading a book. It is something someone does with their time, and a damn sight healthier than many pursuits (except for the omnipresenct cigarettes and coffee! I wonder what 7th day adventists do?)

Anyway- 'nuff said. You wil have no problem finding a get-together. Check your daily program for times and locations. There will be at least one a day, usually. Friends of Dorothy is a reference to the love many gay men, espcially, have for Judy Garland-esque singers/ actresses- the glamour, the over-the top style, the emotional bit- How many gay men who do drag and female iimpersonation do Judy Garland? Many! I don't totally know why- I just accept that it is so! Why do they love Bette Midler?-don't know, but she was popular in the New York "baths" way back in the early 70's.

As for other clubs, there is usually at least one "Service Club" get toether- Lions, Moose, Elks, Rotary, Jaycees- Sometimes hosted, sometimes not- and whoever shows up can do a free-form get-together.

Any other questiosn?

Karie,

Who is tired of being serious! Back to my usual irreverent self!

On my two crossings there were daily Friends of Bill W meetings. Check the ship's paper for time and location.

Btw, imo, 12 step meetings are not anything to joke about.

On QM2, the "friends of Bill W" meet in the Boardroom, adjacent to the Commodore Club bar. A new waiter recently walked in on the meeting and politely enquired if he could get Bill's pals any drinks or cocktails!

Archived