Live from the Westerdam Day 5

Gramsk

Day 5 on the Westerdam

Woke up this morning in Sitka, what a beautiful place, this is postcard perfect. Every where you look it is breathtingly beautiful. Got off the ship and walked around town, did some window browsing, saw the old Russian Cathedral the old Lutheran Church, Totem Pool Park (one Totem Pole) and the Pioneer House.

Decided to walk to the Eagle Preserve only 2 ½ miles. No one mentions the hills. I was pushing my DH in his chair, the crew recommended using his collapsible chair for tender safety. Got up two hills and then saw a bigger hill and decided to turn back. Recommendation: get a taxi or shuttle for anything beyond the town. There isn’t much to see or do in town so you may want to book a tour.

We were back on the ship by noon, had lunch and a nap. We are heading for the Crows Nest to meet friends for a drink before dinner. Tonight is informal. The bars serve hot treats each evening before dinner, I didn’t think they were anything great .

Recommendations for this ship, be sure to bring a multiple extension for your electrical items. If you can think of how to bring a light I would recommend it, the lighting in the cabin is very dim, ladies it is hard to do your hair and see what your doing. The hairdryer is located in the cabin vanity.

We also found out that you can trade the wine that is given by the travel agents for a better quality for the price difference and there is no corking fee.

/Someone asked about slippers, we did not receive any slippers, we did get robes and the Tote Bag.

The Illusionist was Leo Ward, very funny, more of a comedian than an illusionist, but the few tricks he performed were very good.

Tomorrow we will be in Prince Rupert.

Just came off the same ship. Our travel agent gave us 4 bottles of wine and a night at the Pinnacle. We traded one bottle of wine for a coke card. Between us, we barely drank the 20 drinks but I was still glad I had it. You can bring your own wine on board which I did not know. You cannot bring hard liquor, however. I have no idea what the corkage would be for your own wine. Our wine steward was really nice about storing the leftover wine until the next night.

There are no electrical outlets in the bathroom, just on the desk. I did not find the lighting a problem except for the reading lights by the bed. We had ours made up as a king and the lights were to the side of the bed. I think it did not have to be that way but the staff did not think about what they were doing. You will see what I mean when you get on board. I brought a sleep mask as the sun comes up at 4 AM!!

The ship's walking tours do not include going inside any of the churches nor the bishop's restored house. We walked on our own and went into everything including the old folks home. It had a wonderful photo and interview display of some of the residents and their memories of early Sitka. We grabbed an ice cream to tide us over and stayed out until the last minute (330 PM) as we have late dinner anyway.

Archived