Is it worth it to get off the ship at Labadee?

Hello Flagger! Yes, Labadee is worth it. Go to Hideaway Beach if you want to get away from the crowds around the children's play area. They will have a bar set up there and also serve lunch in that area as well. It's not that big so you can explore it in very little time, check out the licensed vendors, go see the views, swim or just chill.

We loved just walking around Labadee . The walk to Dragon's head point was well worth it the view is spectacular. You can find many seclude spots on Labadee away from the crowd .

There are quite a few spots of shade but I would go early in the morning if it is really important to you. Sometimes shady spots get taken early. There are several food areas that are covered as well though. We love this beach, when you pull in it is all mountain surrounded by blue-green water. Really pretty!

Labadee is a ship day for me! Been there, done that, don't need to do it again. The ship's staff is always baffled when I tell them I'm not going to go ashore. I think they look forward to not having many people onboard!

Labadee was one of my favorite days of my entire cruise! I am a huge beach person though. The water and sand was beautiful there. The snorkeling was great. There wer some beautiful fish and shells to see. I am planning to take another Western Caribbean route just so I can get back to Labadee.

I'm not a huge beach lover and yet I found Labadee very pleasant. Even without rushing off the ship (and our ship was 100% full), we were able to find relatively uncrowded spots with shade. You just walk a little but more, but it was worth it. To me the only downside was that it was very hot and there is nowhere to go with A/C to cool off, but with shade it was manageable and glad that we at least checked it out. It's easy enough to go back to the ship if you don't like it too much - I actually found this much easier and more pleasant than getting to any other beach when in ports, so considered Labadee our one real beach day.

We have been there several times. I like to pick up something from the vendors. I have to take a deep breath before walking through. The first time through, I tell them I am just looking, which I am, then after seeing everything, I go back and get what I want. That was worth it if you want to pick up something you can't get back home. Being on the Freedom, this time around, with only 2 sea days, we are staying on the ship and sitting at the pool, and enjoying the ship. However, we have been there several times. If you have never been there, I would get off, and walk to the 2nd beach down. I remember there was some shaded areas right by the water on the left next to some trees. On the third beach there is one or two thatched coverings you can put your chairs under, because we did. However, you have to get off early right after an early brft. enjoy your day, what ever you decide to do.

Favorite stop! Yes--get off the ship. You don't have to stay all day if you don't want to. You can tender back and forth as many times as you want! But it's a beautiful beach, plenty of shade, or sun, or water... whatever you want. Think of it as a "sea day", but on land!!!!!

Ladadee is wonderful. However, what may be in the shade in the morning might be in the sun in the afternoon. The barbecue is very good. Go to one near dragons point..it's less crowded. One other thing not mentioned is that you can tell your friends you've been to Haiti. Don't worry though as Ladadee is isolated from the horrible conditions the poor Haitians have to live with.

Labadee is worth getting off the ship. I love the beach but I also like shade so I make sure I am on the first tender. One side of the island is good for swimming and laying on the mats, the other side is very pretty for picturs but rocky and rougher water. They do have "trains' that go around the island. Skip the buffet and eat back on the ship - the buffet is covered in flies! Also do not sit near the Hatians...nice people but they do not shower much!:)

I love Labadee! It's a great beach day but make sure you bring sunscreen & re-apply it often! My DD went a few years back & spent the day snorkeling & didn't re-apply the lotion often enough & received 2nd degree burns. She had to be put on IV fluids plus take medication for infection so it put a huge damper on the rest of her cruise.

Sandi

Thanks for all of your responses. We have a Disney cruise scheduled for Dec. 2007 and having spent time over at the DIS boards, it seems that their private island is the end all be all, so I was wondering if Labadee would even be worth it. Thanks again.

flagger you old hard core cruiser:D

Dis is truly a theam park kinda island stop. RCI is playing catch up, but well worth getting off ship for a bit to check out. But then a quiet day by the pool```:rolleyes:

Thanks for all of your responses. We have a Disney cruise scheduled for Dec. 2007 and having spent time over at the DIS boards, it seems that their private island is the end all be all, so I was wondering if Labadee would even be worth it. Thanks again.

Labadee can't even compare to Castaway Cay!! (But then, I doubt if any of the "private" islands can! LOL)

We enjoyed a few hours on Labadee, spent some time snorkeling, did a little shopping, then got back on the ship for a relaxing afternoon by the pool. :)

They say your first love lingers in you mind forever. Labadee was our first stop on our first cruise and it now has a special place in our hearts. On our upcoming FOS cruise we will probably only get off the ship at Labadee...none of the other ports hold our interest anymore.

Do go there, walk the area, eat lunch, and allow the vision of the ship in the cove sink into your heart to create a longing to return again and again.

To me, any port is worth getting off and at least exploring. I enjoyed Labadee. We were skirting a hurricane so my favorite activity (snorkeling) wasn't very good. We couldn't even get in the water on the far side of the island due to rough water. However, the landscape was breathtaking. LOVED the buffet at lunch and the local entertainment was neat. I don't mind "pushy" vendors, but I found the shopping to be a little TOO pushy. I enjoyed the "no hassle" area MUCH more! :)

They say your first love lingers in you mind forever. Labadee was our first stop on our first cruise and it now has a special place in our hearts. On our upcoming FOS cruise we will probably only get off the ship at Labadee...none of the other ports hold our interest anymore.

Labadee was our first port as well :D We were able to visit again in 2004. It it a beautiful island.

###

Archived