Live from the Westerdam

Gramsk

Day 6 Westerdam Cruise to Alaska

Arrived in Prince Rupert on time, very pretty little city. We waited until 9:00 to disembark and went to the Tourist Info Center and got a map. We walked around Cow Bay which is right next to where we docked. Checked out the shops and then walked up the hill to see the town. Not much to see, just the general stores and restaurants. We didn’t plan any tours and didn’t see anything that really interested us. So we returned to the ship for lunch and a nap. Tonight was formal night, had Surf & Turf (Lobster and Filet Mignon) requested two lobster tails and got them. Dessert was Baked Alaska with the parade. After dinner we went to the show, it was really great, they did songs and dance from Broadway to Hollywood. Tonight was the big dessert show, went up at ten o’clock to take pictures didn’t stay to eat. We are in some rough waters that started Friday evening and lasted all night, but the ship handled it well. This is the first time we really felt any movement when walking around deck.

Sorry to think only one day left to enjoy this beautiful ship, we will be in Victoria at 6:00p.m., again we didn’t book any tours , we plan to just walk around the town. My DH was able to use his power chair in Prince Rupert without any problems, I’m glad because the hill from Cow Bay into town would have been tough to push him. Prices are very high in Prince Rupert, their tax is 14.5%/.

Thank you so much for sharing your Westerdam Alaska cruise with us. It seems that you are having a great time and finding all is well aboard the Westerdam. There have been a few luke warm reviews of this ship recently -- and we are scheduled out on her next week (June 11) -- so I have greatly appreciated your reports as well as your positive feelings.

Keep having a great time for the time that you have left on Board and know that we are also enjoying your cruise.

Thank you for your postings! We appreciate you for taking the time ON your cruise to keep us up to date - not to mention the price to get online! You are a Cruisecritic through and through!!:)

We were also on the same ship at the same time. We went into Prince Rupert on the $2 Shoppers Bus right where we dock. It takes you to Cow Bay and up to town. The town has a very nice museum with some information about building the railroad. I was afraid it would be more of the same since we had been to the one in Juneau. There is a second hand shop on 2nd which was a riot. The sign outside says "Novelty Pipes." Drug pipes, actually! We laughed at that. Nothing else inside worth seeing. Very overpriced stuff. Safeway was interesting since we copped one of their ads and compared prices. Canada's dollar is 90 cents compared to ours. Gas was about $4/gal. All their produce was marked, "Grown in US." Some things were no more expensive than what I pay just a half hour from the fields in CA! We planned to walk to the sunken gardens but the bus driver said they hadn't finished planting it yet! I could not talk my husband into checking out the Anglican Cathedral on the hill, the oldest church in town. The townspeople manning the info booths and museum were woefully underinformed. It is a short day, as it is. We went back to the ship for lunch and lacked the energy to go back out again. There really isn't much to see in town. Our dinner seatmates went out in search of grizzlies by boat (ship's excursion) and were thrilled with seeing about 9 of them: babies, a couple mating, etc. Weather was overcast but no rain to speak of. This might be a town where the ship's excursions would make sense.

Victoria was awesome and we had great weather for it and a spectacular sunset. Arrived late after racing and losing to NCL. The ships back in and I recommend watching the process. We met friends from Vancouver for dinner and had views of the Empress Hotel. We had been several times to Victoria so we did not do the town. I recommend Buchart Gardens and a look-see into the Empress. The provincial museum which is fabulous is closed at 5 so that is not an option.

Our cabin was 7092 and we had a great steward - Simon. Hope everyone else is equally lucky. We were very happy with the veranda and used it more than we thought.

Archived