making a cd from camera memory card

retiredRx

Hi:

Wife and I are doing the med this summer and we know we will be taking lots of pictures with our digital camera. Was wondering if anyone knows how much (we know it's expensive) Holland America charges to make a cd from a 1 Gig card. Can buy a 1 gig card for about $25 and a 2 Gig for

$45.

Thanx

Mike and Bobbi

Noordam 7-20 and 7-30

The last time I asked, the price per cd was $14.95 in the HAL photo shop. Some people bring laptops and burn their own cds. A 1 gig card will hold a lot of pix if you use a medium resolution. In other words don't choose "best", try somewhere in between. Your camera documentation should show the number of pictures per resolution setting.

Avoid the video choice as it uses most of the card memory.

Hope this helps,

GN

One other suggestion. You will see many people with laptops on the ship, bring some blank cd's with you. You might find a person with a laptop who will be willing to burn a cd for you. Don't forget to bring your cable for the camera to download!:D

One other suggestion. You will see many people with laptops on the ship, bring some blank cd's with you. You might find a person with a laptop who will be willing to burn a cd for you. Don't forget to bring your cable for the camera to download!:D
I know I'd be happy to do that with my iBook. It would be nice if the person doing the asking also had a couple of blank CD's to offer. I don't know that I'd have any extras along.

There's a mania these days for more and more megapixels. Unless you're going to make enlargements greater than 11x14, even with some cropping, 4-5 megapixels is plenty. At 4 megapixels, you should be able to store about 1000 pictures on a 1 gig card. And periodically delete those pics that you know you don't want to save.

One other thought. Consider a few smaller cards rather than one large one. If something happens to your card, and it does happen, you've lost it all....

Very helpful. Now I don't have to drive 20 miles (it.s 112 out) to pick up the 2 gig card. I can go 2 miles for the 1Gig.

Or you can order them online and have them sent to your home. I like DealRam.com for price comparisons for memory. Many times shipping is included in the price.

We were just on the Statendam in May for the cruise from Osaka to Vancouver. A fellow passenger went to a public library in Alaska and used a computer for free to burn a CD she brought from home. Of course, she had her own camera cable from home to download to the computer.

I think you might consider bringing 2 cards with you, I carry 2, that way when I'm on an excursion and I run out of space, I can slip the other one in and not loose and opertunities for a great photo shot!

I too bring my laptop, and wouldnt mind burning a cd, but I dont bring cd's with me, I only burn the ones I keep or edit :) So if they dont have a cd, I cant help :(

Archived