China question

npphotog

We will be on a China/Yangtze trip next May. Wondering if photographing(without flash) the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian is permitted? Read on one site where photography was not permitted. If so, hope they permit it now. Thanks. Willard

We will be on a China/Yangtze trip next May. Wondering if photographing(without flash) the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian is permitted? Read on one site where photography was not permitted. If so, hope they permit it now. Thanks. Willard
We were there in 2000 and it was not permitted but........................ we asked our Chinese guide if we could take pictures and he went and spoke to someone returning saying yes. Got some great pictures

Hi Willard. When we were there last September there were no restrictions on photography. However, flash pictures are academic as you will never get within flash range of any of the Terra Cotta Warrios. The people who built the structure over the dig were quite considerate in using a translucent roof and that helps a lot. I used a digital camera and supported it carefully on the railing to avoid the "shakes" and got some decent pictures. I am going to try to attach one as an illustration. I used a 3x optical zoom and no flash.

Clarence:)

PS: Well, the upload didn't work as all of my pics are larger than the allowed 97KB. If you would like to see some you can look at my journal at http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/China/Xi--An/blog-19858.html or I can email them to you.

Hi Williard,

We were just there in April. Flash photos were permitted. There didn't seem to be anyone monitoring the picture taking. The real trick is to get close enough to the railing to be able to take a picture.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there in October '05 and they allowed pics, but they will not allow tripods to be set up. They say no flash but everyone was doing it. However I noticed I didn't like the way the flash made my pics look so I chose not to continue that. You can see my pics at http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/904429/36 I used a Panasonic FZ20 digital. I was very pleased with my pictures and hope you enjoy them. Xi'an was actually my favorite city out of all of China! Make sure you get to the Muslim Temple area where there is a great street market.

• 1 month later...

Clarence-

Your travel blog was amazing! Thanks so much for this detailed report on your Viking experience. This is the best report I have come across so far. My husband and I are considering a river cruise in China through Viking, and it was great to read your journal, see your photos, and learn more about the tour.

Thanks again-

Chicagogirl1

Glad you enjoyed them. It is incredible that my little blog has had over 7200 hits thus far.

I would go back in a minute if it wasn't for that incredibly long plane ride. If you have the FF miles this is REALLY the place to burn them on an upgrade!

I can't fairly comment on other lines but as to Viking, they were superb.

Pat, I would suggest passing on 2008 for China unless you are intent on seeing the World's Largest Crowd at the Olympics!!!

As crowded as life is there now I just cannot imagine what it will be like around Olympics time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Willard,

We were just in China (returned August 8) on the Imperial Jewels with HK extension from Viking River Cruises. There were absolutely no restrictions concerning photography at the museum. I took lots and lots and lots of pictures as did everyone in our group. We were the kings and queens of pictures.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding China. It was an incredibly wonderful trip!!! We can't say enough good things about China or about Viking.

Rebecca

We were able to photograph the Terra Cotta Warriors in June 2005. We recommend doing the Yangtze Three Gorges Tour soon, as much of the scenic beauty of the Gorges will be gone when the dam is completed in a few years.

First I was there in 2003 and you were able to take pictures as well. I have some really nice ones. secondly while the water will raise, IMO the scenic beauty of the Gorges will not be gone it will merely change. Most of the three Gorges will remain. Many of the side Valleys that are not currently navagable will be able to be seen for the first time. Some sites will be underwater(much like when the Aswan dam was completed). The water should be close to reaching its full level since the Dam was completed in 2004. No one has reported that it has destroyed the trip....

• 3 weeks later...

We were there in June 2006. I was told tripods were out, but I did see some people using monopods to steady their cameras. I would suggest a reasonably fast 100 to 300 mm zoom lens on a 35 mm or digital camera. Image stabilation will really help get good images. Try to shoot their faces besides the overall granduer of the entire building. I used the railing to steady the camera and came away with over 100 images. It is outstanding.

GWShark

Hi Water Tester!

I checked on the link in my earlier message and it opened fine for me. Just in case, however, I will list it again as follows:

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/cmthomas/

The blog has been pretty successful I have had over 8,500 hits on it since I first published it.

I am not far from you to the south --- beautiful downtown Timonium! But we will be pulling anchor in 2 weeks and heading south to Florida for the winter. My wife's sister lives in Monkton P.O. but over off of Jarrettsville Pike.

If you have trouble opening the link let me know at ClarenceThomas3@hotmail.com.

Archived