Hotels in Honolulu?

Hi everyone :)

We will be on the Serenade Sept 05 to Hawaii and end up in Honolulu as our last stop. Does anyone know of reasonably priced hotels in Honolulu as we are thinking of staying on a few extra days...

Thanks!

There is nothing reasonably priced about the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but it is very beautiful. Like a little city. We spent three days there last December and it was very pricey!! We had a magical time there and I would love to go back someday.

Honolulu is a great place to visit, but if you want to be on the beach on Waikiki and you stay at the large famous hotels, it is not going to be cheap. We stayed at the Marriott on our last trip which is at the opposite end of the beach from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. On Waikiki anything less than $200 per night is a deal. The outrigger properties are probably the best values on the beach. Once you get off the beach the prices become more reasonable. You really should check out the port of call board on Hawaii as some of the locals can give you some comfort with the situation on a specific off the beach hotel and its quality and location. We stayed on our first cruise to Hawaii at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North shore, which is being used for some shots on the new Fox show North Shore, and unless they have totally remodeled it doesn't look a thing like the set. Except of course for the North shore beaches. Anyway bottom line is you need to visit one of the travel sites such as hotels.com, travelocity, orbitz, expedia, hotwire, and others and see some of the parameters on prices and locations so that you can get a feeling for what is important to you.

jc

Hi, We have stayed at the Hilton about five times,it is one of the best places to stay on Oahu. I work for the Govt. and get the Govt. rate about 50% off. Try all the discounts that you can get then try price line. I just tried price line for the first time and got the Sheraton at Fishermans Warf in Oct. for 80$ a night the regular rate is 199$, it took me about 5 bids to get that rate. Check out biddiingfortravel.com and you can get an idea what people are getting rooms for in Hawaii. If you stay at the Hilton request the mountain View with a corner unit, these units are mini suites and the view is sensational rainbows every day in the mountains.

Hi, Me again the Hilton has four buildings and the Tapa Towers is the one with the Mountain View and also the most reasonably priced. I know if you were to stay there it will be one of best times you have.

Well, thankfully you are going in Sept, which is not peak season for Hawaii.. so the rates should be OK. Anything within Waikiki is going to be fairly well situated, as that part of town is not that large. But if you want absolute beach front, you pay for it. Personally, I think it's such a beautiful place that being sure to get an ocean view room is a must. How often do you get a view like that in life?

Try the web site run by all the major hotel chains, http://www.travelweb.com/tvlw_web/jsp/index.jsp

as well as Quikbook: www.quikbook.com for deals, and pre-paid rates. And always try the hotel web site directly! The industry has been making an attempt to make sure the lowest rates available are always available through their own site.

However, you are going in Sept 2005, so that far out, I would not do anything pre-paid or through priceline unless you can cancel without penalty. Make a reservation at your preferred hotel and then keep monitoring the rates. They go up and down all the time, just like airfares.

Aloha!

Last December, we stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton-Waikiki. Got a great rate through Priceline (I'm thinking it was around $100/night...check biddingfortravel.com to see what recent winning bids have been). Location was great...right on waikiki beach, next to the Royal Hawaiian and the Halekulani, only a few doors down from Duke's (great and affordable breakfast buffet), and the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. It was also right across from the International marketplace. The hotel itself was fine. It didn't blow my socks off, but for $100/night, it was great, and the location couldn't be beat.

I loved our couple of days in Honolulu and would love to go back just to have the wonderful dim sum lunch that we had at Legends Seafood (in Chinatown) and Alan Wongs (out of this world dinner...not cheap, though).

Lynne

Matt's advice is spot on. Many people will tell you Waikiki is just like being in a big city, and that is true, but remember it is a big city in paradise with one of the most famous beaches on the planet and the activity is simply world class.

jc

Archived