ID requirements for teenagers: Please help

Silver Pearl

We're sailing in a week on the Westerdam on the Roundtrip cruise from Seattle to Alaska. My wife and I both have valid passports. But our 14-year-old daughter has only a certified birth certificate. She has no ID with a photo on it because she is not old enough to drive yet.

Will there be any problem with her boarding with us?

--RIch

Does she have a school issued ID with a photo?

I don't know whether her birth certicate will suffice but can tell you that if you plan to travel with her (out of the country) after December 31, 2006, she will have to possess a passport.

Too bad you didn't think of this sooner as you could have gotten her passport now for this trip and you would be all set and have no worries.

I'm sure someone will be along to be more helpful.

Take your birth cert. and school report card or anything else with name & picture to the Drivers license office (or call them first.) and get a picture ID.

In Florida, that is what you can do, check on it for your state. Good luck, MaryAnn

We just returned from the Zaandam. There was no photo needed for my two teens. In fact, my son was dying to show his learner's permit (he just got it) but most of the time they just waived him through. My daughter is 13 and had nothing with her picture on it. Don't panic - you'll be fine.

I'm sure you will be fine without a picture ID. None is needed for minors to fly. To be sure call HAL or have you TA call.

As s7s suggested get a passport then you will be set for the future. Passports for minors are only valid for 5 years.

As s7s suggested get a passport then you will be set for the future. Passports for minors are only valid for 5 years.
I also agree, get them a passport. And actually, passports are valid for 10 years for young adults 16 y/o and up.

I also agree, get them a passport. And actually, passports are valid for 10 years for young adults 16 y/o and up.

Yes, our daughter's passport had expired. U.S. Passports for children are indeed good for only 5 years, while those for adults 16 and over are good for 10.

We had been counting on her school ID as the means of photo ID, but the school collected those last week. Not enough time to get a passport now.

Thanks, Janvan11!. The Zaandam cruise you just returned from was Seattle to Alaska, right?

--Rich

I agree with the suggestion that you take your daughter to the DMV to get a state-issued ID card. Far better to have it and not be asked to present it than the reverse. After you get home, you can have the passport renewed for next time...;)

I agree with the suggestion that you take your daughter to the DMV to get a state-issued ID card. Far better to have it and not be asked to present it than the reverse. After you get home, you can have the passport renewed for next time...;)

Thanks, folks. Suggestions from happy cruiseers varied, so I ended up calling HAL. It was a pleasant surprise. Although I had to go through 3 different menus, I actually got a quick response. Scott at HAL told me that the Westerdam cruise from Seattle to Alaska does NOT require photo ID for children under 18. So, no worries.

I'll renew my daughter's passport soon.

--Rich

Glad to hear you got your 'reliable' response and can erase that as one thing you don't need to worry about.

Thanks for letting us know.

Have a great cruise!!!

Silver Pearl

Hello! We just sailed Westerdam on May 21 with our 10, 12 & 13 year olds. Absolutely no problems with no id for our teen (or the younger two). The birth certificate was all they needed. He had his school in his pocket - as we plucked him straight out of the classroom for the trip :) - but they didn't need that either.

You are going to have so much fun!! Enjoy your cruise!:) Your 14 year old is going to love the LOFT!!

Janet

Archived