Venice Hotels

On 10/5 my husband and I are departing on Celebrity's Meditteranean cruise from Barcelona. We've decided to stay a couple of extra days in Venice at the end of the cruise. Any suggestions for hotels that are nice but not outrageously expensive? We're looking more for convenience and expense vs. view.

go to tripadvisor.com and then look under Venice...lots of info there on hotels.And,you can ask your questions of the locals..Great boards for any ports/countries. I know the one that seems to get the most raves is something Locanda (or something like that). From what I understand,you can cross Venice in under an hour on foot,so its all going to be pretty conveient. Im staying one night before my Venice cruise at Santa Chiara.Its very close to the cruise terminals,train and bus stations,and one of the few that you can reach by car also.So because of this,it gets mixed reviews since it could be noisy if your on the wrong side...but we got a good price for July ($166.USD).Hotels might be cheaper in October.It was important to me to NOT deal with all that luggage.Depending on the hotel you stay in Venice,you have to go over many bridges with steps.Also,if you need a bathroom in your room versus a community bathroom down the hall..you want to make sure you check.Also,some dont have elevators or air conditioning...Dot

We had coffee at the hotel Ca' Fomenta and plan to book a room there the next time we visit. It's very conveniently located next to the Arsenale vaporetto stop in the Castello district, was bright and cheery and was going for about 150 Euros/night, as I recall. They also have a taxi pier if you'd rather take a private water taxi from the airport. It's about a 10 minute walk to San Marco from there, and the Castello area is worth a walk - lots of dog-friendly parks, a farmers' market, etc. I think it's the primary "locals" district in Venice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5 my husband and I are departing on Celebrity's Meditteranean cruise from Barcelona. We've decided to stay a couple of extra days in Venice at the end of the cruise. Any suggestions for hotels that are nice but not outrageously expensive? We're looking more for convenience and expense vs. view.

Have you considered Mestre. We found a hotel across the street from the train station. It was 1 Euro each way to ride the train into Venice and it drops you right at the Grand Canal where you can catch the Vaparettio. It was much cheaper, we caught a cab right at the dock which took us to the hotel. We stayed three nights, and it was a short taxi ride to the airport.

Another plus is you do not have to drag bags around Venice. Also, if you are concerned about cost (outrageous expense) wait until you hear what a water taxi runs (usually the up side of $100 each way)

We also stayed in Mestre at the Golden Tulip hotel right across from the train station. Golden Tulip is a European chain (www.goldentulip.com). Modern rooms with a nice Italian continental breakfast. I think that we paid in the range of 100-110 euros for a room in late October. Bus to Piazzale Roma which is a main stop for the water buses as well as port shuttles can be picked up in front of the train station. While you are not in Venice proper, it is easy to go back and forth as early in the morning or late at night as you want. :)

Here is another good site for searching for hotels in Europe and of course Venice.

http://www.venere.com/

We stayed in Venice after a Golden Princess Med cruise in 2003 and loved the experience. We stayed for 3 nights after the cruise which had one full day in Venice in addition and still didn't see and do everything we wanted to do. A great guidebook with maps to get is AAA Spiral guide to Venice.

We stayed in a very small B&B type of hotel, the Alloggi Barbaria, that we enjoyed. It had been recently remodeled and had a great A/C which was important when the heat was in the 90's and you got back from a day out on the town. Here is a link to it.

http://www.alloggibarbaria.it/gbindex.htm

The owner was there in the afternoon and spoke good english. His aunt and uncle who were part owners were there in the morning and were as friendly and nice as could be but understood more english than they were willing to try to speak. But given we didn't speak Italian they were way ahead of us. If you want a more european and local experience check out this or other places to stay like it.

Have a great next cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked a hotel right near the ships in venice for my oct 29th sail . The Arione. I found it at venere.com and chose it for conveinence and also because I was going stay there for one night before the ship takes off. If you go to that web site, it shows a picture of it. It's not luxury but it looks like you'll be getting the feel of a quaint little village right on the grand canal. All I will have to do is walk to the ship, five minutes if you take a taxi or twenty minutes if you dont mind rolling your luggage.

Archived