cruising NE/CA RCL 10/21, any suggestions?

rafster

This is my first posting, so please excuse any mistakes I might make.

We are cruising to New England/Canada on 10-21-06 on RCL. Would like to know other peoples' experience to best enjoy the trip. This is for our 25th anniversary, so we want to make the most of it. Do not know which excursions to book. Thanks

rafster

Welcome to the boards. Not sure where you are coming from, but bring layers. Meaning, wear a shirt, sweatshirt, light jacket. It will be warmer on land in the day and then much cooler at night. Pants as well. At night it will be very cool on the ocean and possibly even during the day, depending.

Not sure where you are going so we would need a bit more info to help you there, but you will love it. Great "Leaf Peeper" time too, to see all the leaves change colors.

If you tell me your stops what cities I can tell you what you need to know let me know if your intrested in scenic or historic things or sites we will go from there

you can email me at cape.breton.island@hotmail.com i'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

Here is the posted intenerary, thank you for your assistance.

Rafster

21-OctBoston, Massachusetts 5:00 PMBoardings.gif

22-OctPortland, Maine 9:00 AM 7:00 PMDockeds.gif

23-OctBar Harbor, Maine 9:00 AM 5:30 PMTendereds.gif

24-OctHalifax, Nova Scotia 9:00 AM 6:00 PMDockeds.gif

25-OctAt Sea s.gif26-OctBoston, Massachusetts 7:00 AM Departure

Welcome to the boards and, in advance, to Portland. The weather here is very fickle due to the mountains to our west and the cold North Atlantic. Friday was in the 80s and the next day was only in the 50s. That time of year it could be sunny and in the 60s or raw in the 40s. Never know. As for things to do here, rent a car and take a ride up the coast. There are some scenic necks that jut into the ocean near Brunswick, about a half hour north. On the way is LL Bean and the Freeport Outlets. Or take a ride to our many lighthouses in the area. In Portland are the Old Port shops within walking distance of the dock. A few blocks inland is the Shipyard Brewery where you can get a tour. In the old port is Gritty McDuffs, our most famous brewpub. The art museum off Free St has one of the largest collections of Winslow Homer paintings.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also planning to be in Portland on a cruise in October. Are there car rentals close to the dock in Portland or do you have to take a taxi to the airport? I was thinking of renting a car and going to LL Bean and possibly Kennebunkport if there is time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You will be getting on the Jewell when we are getting off! In Portland we are just going to walk around. In Bar Harbor we are taking Oli's Trolley to Acadia Park and Cadilac Mountain, they are about half the cost of the ships's tour. In Halifax we are taking a private tour with another couple in a van, the cost is only $5 less than the ships tour for Halifax and Peggy's Cove but with only 4 of us we can stop where we want for however long we want(well, within reason) Here is the web site for Halifax

http://www.yourcab.ca/index.htm and the one for Bar Harbor is www.acadiaislandtours.com Have a great time!

As everyone else has told you layer - layer - layer .... It can get very raw in the wind.

I'd go with McDebbie's suggestion for Bar Harbor ... enjoy your day - it is a beautiful area - after or before your tour wander around the town ... enjoy! Jan

I'm not sure about excursions in Portland, but if you do a search, I have mentioned things to see in this area. I love going to the Old Port just to walk around and check out the shops. If you like shopping, I believe there is a tour to LL Bean and the outlets in Freeport, about a half hour north. Follow the trail to the right of the cruise dock and walk less than a mile along the shore. If you go up the hill to your left, you will have some very nice views of the islands in Casco Bay.

Took son out practice driving and we ended up downtown when the jewel was here. Beautiful ship.

There was a very nasty storm last overnight (lost power for 4 hours) which knocked alot of leaves off the trees. However, there is still some color.

Rich,

Do you think there is transportation from the port to the LLBean Outlet? I can purchase the excursion through the cruiseline for $24. Not a bad price, but would rather spend that money at the outlet if Portland has cheaper transportation.

Thanks,

Ronnie

sethanee, unfortunately there is no public transportation from here to Freeport. We are a mostly rural state so public transportation is poor. Also, because most people drive up here or rent a car, there are few private excursions. Freeport has become a bedroom community of Portland and is developing rapidly.

For those renting cars, I would reccomend a quick trip to the Bath-Brunswick area. There are state parks and neat towns up this way. DW went up to for a few hours on Tuesday. Brunswick has a feel of a college town as it is home to Bowdoin College.

Archived