Upsells when the cruise appears sold out?

AVAMARIE

I have been watching the cabins dwindle down weekly for our 8/13 cruise on the Star to Alaska and now it appears there are none left. Final payment was due on 5/20. I thought maybe there would be more cabins available since some people must have had a change of plans. This is only my second cruise and we had an upsell to an AB suite about 2 weeks before our other cruise. Does it look like we should be happy to keep our mini-suite (which I am thrilled to have) and not expect any changes? I have no idea how these things work. Thanks!

I called NCL today about our 6/24 sailing and the first person I spoke with said that our cruise is sold out so there is no room for upselling. I told him that the NCL site shows available suites and he said the site isn't updated often. Afterwards, I looked on two other major travel sites and found suites available as well and ready to book (I went through the motions of booking).

I called a different number that I found somewhere online and the woman was nice and said that for my sailing, the upselling would probably begin this week. She also said that they do not accept upsell requests directly from cruisers and that they are the ones who do the contacting and do so via the TA.

I asked her the procedure and she said that cabins get marked by NCL as being available for upsells. NCL then calls the TA, and the TA should contact the client about the upsell opportunity. Now, I've read on other boards that for some TAs, they don't bother because the haggle of getting in touch with clients over a small commission (for them) isn't worth it. The NCL rep told me to just inform my TA that I would be interested in hearing any upsell offers.

I also asked about how the upsells go (highest to lowest, etc.). She said that usually the upsells are for balconies to suites and suites to grander suites but also that it isn't impossible for oceanviews to be offered upsells to balconies or inside to outside. Essentially, it depends on what is available on the ship and how the higher upsells turn out.

I emailed my TA this a.m. about upsells (since I never heard of the term until this a.m.) and am waiting to hear back from her. I've never dealt with this agency before so I have no idea what they do or more specifically, what my particular T.A. will do.

You're still a bit aways from your sail date so if I were you, I'd let your TA know to make a notation that you are interested in hearing upsell opportunities and then check back with a month or less to go. See what happens!

Good luck and happy sailing! ;)

I did the same as you, the hard part is that you don't know how hard your TA is working for you. I booked through and online TA and I emailed her to ask her if there was an upsell available she said the ship was sold out and no upsells were avaiable when she called. The only assurance you have is the email that they tried. Kinda sucks but at least we get to go cruisin

I agree. And at least we booked the cabin we wanted so we aren't really disappointed. Just got spoiled last time. I would probably stay on a cot in the engine room if it meant I could cruise!!!

Okay, so I told you I emailed my TA this a.m. Here's my update:

TA emailed me back and said that NCL has contacted her about upsells for other bookings and that they're usually a great deal and that she would definitely take note of our interest and contact me if she hears anything. She said that TAs can't contact NCL about upsells and that only NCL reaches out to TAs (this is consistent with what the NCL rep told me so I have no reason not to believe her). So who knows!

Bagbklyn: I too used an online TA company that sent my hubby an email with a one-day only deal (and it really was an excellent deal). You are completely right in saying you don't know how hard someone is working for you though. I'll just keep the faith for now and check with her periodically...no hurt in sending an email to her later on.

jbsteven: Sweet! Good for you! Enjoy! :) What type of room did you book and what type of room did you get an upsell for, if you don't mind my asking?

Avamarie: Our cabin is no big shakes (obstructed oceanview) but we're not on one of the lower decks which is more important to me than what I see when I look out of the window. After all, there are yards and yards of rail all over the ship to look out over and all of those views are better than what I'd see from behind a window in my room. LOL...that's how I have to look at it to make myself happy!

And yes Bagbklyn...we're cruising in under three weeks! Looking forward to a great time!

P.S. To all, I've read many posts where people weren't happy at all with the service provided by NCL representatives and for the record, the two calls I've made to two different reps. were handled in very friendly ways and I have no reason to complain!

P.P.S. Did anyone read about the change in taxes for NCL? I have to go look at my docs but evidently people who booked up until recently were paying $132 pp in taxes/port charges and bookings now show a charge of only $82.43 pp. Some who just returned from NCL cruises out of NY said that they received a shipboard credit for the difference...about $54 pp...hopefully if you (or I) paid the higher amount, we'll be seeing a credit when we board! Check your docs...I'm going to look at mine tonight when I get home and please let me know and I'll do the same! This probably warrants a new thread but there is one already on the boards...just bringing this issue to your attention as NCL cruisers out of NY in case you didn't see that thread.

Yes, I'm replying to my own post...but it is with regards to the P.P.S. I wrote about and the taxes going down. I just contacted NCL and the rep. spoke with his supervisor to confirm that the port/tax charges did indeed go down and that anyone who paid more than $82.43 pp will receive the difference in the form of a shipboard credit! Enjoy!

Please forgive me if it's obvious but I need some clarification on this.

We just returned from Spirit and paid much higher taxes. Because we already completed the cruise are we entitled to any credits at all or this is only for those who didn't cruise yet?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for posting all this information. We're booked on the 7/23 Star to Alaska, and I'm having a few "issues" with the online TA that booked us. In a nutshell, my sister in law booked, as a gift to the entire family, five inside cabins on the 2nd to the lowest deck, and she and my brother were given a great deal on a balcony cabin. I have no idea what the dollar amount was, nor was I interested in knowing. However, having been on a number of cruises, and somewhat of a control freak, I've been trying to get some answers about upsells/upgrades for this cruise, primarily because one sister is extremely clausterphobic and is already concerned about panic/anxiety in an inner cabin! So, I've tried calling the online TA and she either doesn't call back, or is very nonchalant about trying to help in any way. I also wanted to prepay the gratuities so the bill after the cruise isn't so humongous, and she didn't call back. So, I guess now that it's getting closer, I should try again. I would think for the amount of commission booking six cabins, she'd be a little more willing to accomodate. Maybe it was just too early? Hope we can get something figured out. Thanks for listening!

Aldeya: Unfortunately, I don't think it applies to you (IMHO). The port charges are for what it costs to sail out that day. If the charges went down after you sailed, then you paid what it cost to sail when you did.

I'm sure there is a more eloquent way of saying what I just did but I hope you get what I mean! :)

nyflush: I know! We've been frequenting the same threads! LOL...

cruisetexas: Sorry to hear about your TA. This is the first time I've heard about "upsells" so I wish I could help out more but I can't. Try contacting your TA again with around a month to go and see what happens. Is there an email address at which to reach her? Sometimes people respond better to email (not big on oral communication or find it easier to explain things via email). With regards to pre-paying gratuities, I would try calling the cruiseline directly. There is an option on the 800 # about existing reservations and adding things to them...maybe they can help you out directly?

we originally booked a mini suite and we took their offer of $1400 extra for a AB penthouse. The person on the phone said they would give us 50% off the price difference from the mini suite to the penthouse which was rought $1600. I asked if she could do any better and $1407 was the lowest she could go.

I am glad we did it because I forgot just how small the mini suite was(230 sq. ft compared to 490ish for the penthouse). The penthouse we took is next door to the mini suite we originally booked.

FSUNole: The change applies to our sailing out of NY on NCL. You'd have to see what the charges are for your exact cruise now by looking up the going rate. If there's a change, call NCL and see what they say. See my post below (the P.P.S.): I was "just bringing this issue to your attention as NCL cruisers out of NY in case you didn't see that thread." I did not mean to say this about all port charges. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough!

jbsteven: if you think a mini-suite is small, you'd die from claustrophobia from my oceanview cabin...159sq. ft.! LOL...enjoy your penthouse! One day I'll splurge on one...but since we pay for two cabins (we treat my mom to a vacation a couple times a year), we need to be thrifty! I have heard that upsells are typically 50% of the difference between two categories. Can I ask, was the $1400 pp or for the whole room? Also, when you say "the person on the phone," do you mean you spoke with an NCL rep. or your TA? It's my understanding that NCL does the initiating on upsells via the TA or the client.

$1407 total. They charge 50% for the first 2 passengers, nothing extra for more people in the room. Our kids are 5 and 7 and love cruises (heck they are in New Zealand right now). We think it is one of the best vacations to do with small kids since there is always something to do for everyone.

I agree with you about the kids part. We have a 3yr. old girl (well, she's turning 3 on our cruise in three weeks) and we took her on her first cruise last summer and it was so nice b/c everything was at our fingertips...our waiter brought her a plate of pizza, a hamburger, and french fries every night as soon as we sat down so she didn't have to make up her mind! I'll miss that with the Freestyle option. But it's okay!

She didn't take to the kids' camp situation (Camp Carnival) so I doubt she'll want to hang out in the Kids' Crew on NCL but we'll keep our fingers crossed! No biggie if she doesn't though...my mom will be with us and she's always glad to watch her if the hubby and I want to escape for some cocktails! ;)

We actually did entertain the idea of getting a larger suite for the four of us but when we priced it compared to two rooms, the difference was not eye-popping so we figured it better for the price for us to have our own rooms and not have to share a bathroom. I don't mind sharing but I can completely understand my husband not wanting to take turns sharing a bathroom with his mother-in-law! LOL...

Thanks for the info! New Zealand? WOW! I'm jealous...I'll let you know if we get an upsell offer!

I have been watching the cabins dwindle down weekly for our 8/13 cruise on the Star to Alaska and now it appears there are none left. Final payment was due on 5/20. I thought maybe there would be more cabins available since some people must have had a change of plans. This is only my second cruise and we had an upsell to an AB suite about 2 weeks before our other cruise. Does it look like we should be happy to keep our mini-suite (which I am thrilled to have) and not expect any changes? I have no idea how these things work. Thanks!

Chances are not great for an upsell, but it certainly could happen. Do you have a TA? He or she should be checking on this for you. Either way you seem to be happy with what you have. We will cross our fingers for you and have a great cruise regardless. NMnita

I have called my TA who says she will keep on top of the situation, but agreed that it may not happen this time. I am very happy to be cruising again and thrilled we decided to get the mini suite. I don't know how I will manage the 7 days without a butler, but I guess I can try. (just kidding of course). I don't know how I lived before I discovered crusing!!

I called NCL, since I booked directly with them without a TA. They told me if I wanted to wait list for an upgrade cabin that it would be $50 per person (there are 3 of us) and it is nonrefundable! I am on the Sun to Alaska on 8/12 and the best cabin I could get was an AD. I really want an AB or AA - something with 2 bedrooms. I haven't heard of having to pay extra to be on a list for upgrades. Does that sound strange to you? Should I call back or is it too soon?

Paying for a waitlist? I can't believe that! I honestly have never heard of such a thing...but then again, there is a first for everything! If I were you, I'd call again today...you'll probably get a different rep. and see what he/she says. But wait (no pun intended), you said for an upgrade? So is it $50 to wait and see if an upgrade is possible?

There is a difference between an upgrade and an upsell. We don't pay for an upgrade but we do pay (a discounted price) for an upsell. If that is the case, then you need to decide whether it's worth the gamble of $150 (3 in total, right?) to get upgraded. If it's a $50 fee to wait and see if you could purchase a higher category cabin, then that is flat out wrong, IMO.

Call and ask them to explain exactly what they mean by a waitlist and what it is for. That's what I would do for sure. This way, you know if you want to risk $150 for a free upgrade...which is how I'm taking what you've said so far.

Archived