Step Stool

Terpnut

Last fall on Carnival Liberty, my 4 yr old couldn't reach the sink to wash his hands or brush his teeth without some sort of step stool. Normally when we travel to hotels and other places, we just use a small chair, phone book, inverted trash can, small piece of luggage, etc. However on cruise ships, bathroom floor space is limited. On the Liberty, I think we ended up using one of the kid's backpacks as a step stool. I was just curious what creative solutions other moms and dads have come up with to help their kids reach the faucet/sink?

How about holding them up??
I could, but the boy goes potty something like every 45 minutes (and usually once in the middle of the night or early morning). Besides, he's a "big boy" now, doesn't want Mommy's or Daddy's help, and, if necessary, will climb up next to the sink if he has to. But the ideal solution still would be some sort of small step or box for him to use.

Last fall on Carnival Liberty, my 4 yr old couldn't reach the sink to wash his hands or brush his teeth without some sort of step stool. Normally when we travel to hotels and other places, we just use a small chair, phone book, inverted trash can, small piece of luggage, etc. However on cruise ships, bathroom floor space is limited. On the Liberty, I think we ended up using one of the kid's backpacks as a step stool. I was just curious what creative solutions other moms and dads have come up with to help their kids reach the faucet/sink?

I have not used this, but with a 5 and 6 year old, I might. I would have to see it folded first.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-185-step-stools/folding-step-stool-113476.aspx

I'm still hoping for a creative solution from on-board materials only (don't want to buy, pack and schlep it with us all over Alaska). Assuming the cabin steward can't think of something, how about:

- folded up bath towel

- a big library book

- 4-5 stacked food trays

- an inverted ice bucket (probably too narrow and not stable)

Ahhh.. A McGyver:D Build a step stool with a Swiss Army knife and things found in a cabin. I/ll be watching this thread as I too will need something.
Am I the only guy posting on this forum? :D Yes, why buy and carry a step stool, when you can build quite a nice one out of "spare parts"? I'm hoping my son has a sudden growth spurt in the next 8 weeks--he only needs another 2" and he won't need a step stool! :p

Am I the only guy posting on this forum? :D Yes, why buy and carry a step stool, when you can build quite a nice one out of "spare parts"? I'm hoping my son has a sudden growth spurt in the next 8 weeks--he only needs another 2" and he won't need a step stool! :p

No, your not the only guy. I just cant think of what might be in a cabin that would work. I have not seen many spare parts. My kids need a little more help then 2 inches. So I will either have to hold them, or pack the stool. I/m driving to the port so it wont be a problem. They take anything in checked baggage.

No, your not the only guy. I just cant think of what might be in a cabin that would work. I have not seen many spare parts. My kids need a little more help then 2 inches. So I will either have to hold them, or pack the stool. I/m driving to the port so it wont be a problem. They take anything in checked baggage.
Another possible option for us is to find and use an extra life preserver--they are made of about 3-4" of dense foam. I'm leaning toward stacking a few food trays. I can adjust the height and it should be pretty stable.

I'm liking the folded up towels. My babies inherited their grandfathers mini legs. They were preemies to begin with, but now they are, well short is a word. Hernie-Roo is late potty training cause he cannot get to the toilet. I think the towel idea will work fine.

I'm liking the folded up towels. My babies inherited their grandfathers mini legs. They were preemies to begin with, but now they are, well short is a word. Hernie-Roo is late potty training cause he cannot get to the toilet. I think the towel idea will work fine.
We've done the towel thing before--it's a bit squishy underfoot, but it works! Also has the side bonus of soaking up some of the water and toothpaste the kids splash on the floor! :p

I'm still hoping for a creative solution from on-board materials only (don't want to buy, pack and schlep it with us all over Alaska). Assuming the cabin steward can't think of something, how about:

- folded up bath towel

- a big library book

- 4-5 stacked food trays

- an inverted ice bucket (probably too narrow and not stable)

I vote for the towels. I think the idea of a library book is a bad one - why possibly damage a book with water or whatever? I think I would try to teach my children that books are important and to be valued.

We were thinking of bringing our Ikea stepstool with us in our checked luggage. Its very simple -- about 8 inches high, and shaped like an open box - basically one large step. It should fit easily in luggage and not take up too much space (can always put rolled up socks and whatnot in the open part).

Archived