Grandeur May 26-June4 Review

I'm sorry I didn't post my review of this cruise earlier, but I had so much fun that I am still recovering.

We got to the pier in Baltimore around 12:00 and there was no line at all. We parked right beside the ship. The pier was very easy to find as it is right off of the interstate. We were on the ship in about 15 minutes. Everything was very well organized and easy for us.

We got to our cabin at 1:00. It was very smokey, but our cabin attendant had the carpets cleaned and it was like a breath of fresh air when we returned.

Our cabin was on deck 2 all the way aft. The rooms are small, but I remembered that they would be and was prepared. There was some engine noise as the ship was pulling into port. I guess it takes great effort to make a ship that size go sideways in the water. It wasn't the kind of thing that bothered me. I don't complain about much.

The staff was so amazing. The Cruise Director Clodah, was amazing. She was very visable and very funny. I really enjoyed her. The Singers and Dancers were great. One show was the same as last year, but it was so good that I didn't mind seeing it again. The wait staff was so friendly. It was one of the best parts of the cruise. I was greeted by many crew memebers who remembered me from last year and it was so special to me that they remembered. I also saw my Assistant Waiter from last and got to speak with him for about two hours. He was just as beautiful and amazing of a person as I had remembered. The Head Waiter came to our table every night and spoke with us for a long time. I also had the pleasure of meeting Captain Hawkin and he was very personable. He took time out to take pictures with people as well as to give a presentation about the ship followed by Q&A. The music in all of the lounges was outstanding, and the DJ in the Vicking Crown Lounge was the best I have ever heard.

I originally did not go on this cruise for the itenerary, but it was so very nice to go to Costa Maya. What a beautiful place. It was nice to see some small piece of paradise not yet spoiled by tourism. I had an opportunity to speak with some of the locals there and found them to very beautiful people.

Cozumel is still recovering from the hurricane and it is still in bad shape. One of the piers is a pile of rubble now. The people there are so amazing. I know what it's like to try and recover from a hurricane, and they need tourism badly. Again, I was remembered by two sales people in Cozumel. It was so beautiful that they remembered me. We ate lunch at Poncho's Back Yard and had a few margaritas. Yep, they are good!

Key West was great as always. We walked around and went to the Key Lime Pie Factory. We ran into some fellow Cruise Critics there at Sloppy Joe's. Thanks Sue and Ray for sharing your table! It was awsome meeting you.

We had 37 people show up at our Meet and Mingle. It was so great to meet everyone and thank you for coming out.

Thank you Theron for taking our group picture! How cool is that? We have a group picture from the shore as we were sailing out of Baltimore. Please, feel free to be jealous.~

The food on the ship was good. I thought it was a little better last year, but my goal isn't to see how much I can cram down my throat in 9 days. I was happy with the food.

The ship looks really good for her age. She isn't new, but I really enjoy the older (not that she's that old) ships. Granduer has a very romantic charm and class about her that just takes you away to a whole nother place. I love the fact that she doesn't just feel like a floating Las Vegas. I think Las Vegas is tacky. She is showing her beauty just as any lady would.

The weather was great. It rained a little leaving Baltimore and returning to Baltimore, but I was packing and unpacking at those times anyway.

As always, one of my favorite parts of the whole cruise was passing over the Chesapeak Bay Bridge Tunnel. It is always so amazing to see the boardwalk and the neighboring cities all lit up at night. What a great view from the Vicking Crown Lounge. I truely hated returning home, but when we did, it was well organized and easy.

Thank you Grandeur for another great trip. I'm thinking about changing my plans to go back on her again next summer.

Great review, we sail Grandeur 7/16/06, not to long of a wait now! I have been on Grandeur 2 times already, love the convienence of leaving from Baltimore. She is a wonderful ship. Glad you had a great time & thank you for taking time to write a review!

Hi Jenny,

thanks for the great review...we have booked the Grandeur for Oct out of Baltimore and are getting really excited with all the good reviews we are seeing here...I see that you have the Empress booked for 6/07..when in June are you going? We have her booked for June 2nd out of Norfolk to Bermuda...will you be joining us??

Hi Jenny,

thanks for the great review...we have booked the Grandeur for Oct out of Baltimore and are getting really excited with all the good reviews we are seeing here...I see that you have the Empress booked for 6/07..when in June are you going? We have her booked for June 2nd out of Norfolk to Bermuda...will you be joining us??

I'm torn about it. I have friends who will be sailing on Empress on May 26 and have invited me to come along with them. After having such another great time on Granduer, I haven't decided yet. Either way, I will be going on one of them. Norfolk is definately closer. It's a 20 minute drive instead of 4 hours. We'll see. It will be a good trip either way. :)

As always, one of my favorite parts of the whole cruise was passing over the Chesapeak Bay Bridge Tunnel. It is always so amazing to see the boardwalk and the neighboring cities all lit up at night. What a great view from the Vicking Crown Lounge. I truely hated returning home, but when we did, it was well organized and easy.

Jenny,

Thanks for the review. I leave in 1 month 2 weeks (love the count down) for the 9 night on Granduer. Do you remember what time you passed over the Bridge Tunnel? I'd love to see it as well, but am afraid it will be really early in the morning.

Kathy

Jenny, looks like you kinda, sorta, had a fun time on the Grandeur, again! We had a similar experience on the Brilliance, having sailed on her twice. It's great to meet the crew/staff a second time around! And even better when they remember you. We're sailing on the Grandeur for the 13 day repo to NOLA in November. Any special crew we can say "Hi!" to from you?

Jenny,

Thanks for the review. I leave in 1 month 2 weeks (love the count down) for the 9 night on Granduer. Do you remember what time you passed over the Bridge Tunnel? I'd love to see it as well, but am afraid it will be really early in the morning.

Kathy

It's 8 hours from Baltimore to the tunnel. That pretty much puts it around midnight going and around 10:30pm coming. It's worth it. :D

Pumbaamd, I had a great time!! But then again, I would have had a great time if they had hauled me from a dingy behind the ship. I'm just that kind of person.

Thanks for the offer, but this time, I have e-mail addresses. ;)

We'll be on the Grandeur for the 9 nighter on June 23 and we are looking forward to it. You sound like us, you take things as they go and do not complain about the little things. It was a nice review and the readers could tell it was an honest one as well. Do you know anything about karaoke on the Grandeur? Is it that karaoke-idol that RCCL likes to do or is it normal where anyone can get up and sing? My stage name is Spanky (just in case I ever get 'discovered')...

Spanky

I didn't go to any of the Karaoki-Idol Shows so I don't know how they worked. I did hear our tablemates saying that they really enjoyed it and went several nights. I did go to the Quest and thought it was really funny. Somehow I had missed that last year.

I went to most of the shows and spent most evenings dancing away in the Vicking Crown. The DJ played really great music everynight. Everything from the A list. The other lounges all had great entertainers as well, especially in the Centrum.

Enjoy, you are going to have a great time! :)

HI There Jenny !

Ahh isn't it great! I am so glad you had a great time, but you knew you would. I will be going on the Grandeur later this year, on the repo from Balti to New Orleans. I hope to have as great a time as we did on the same cruise last year.

So how is school? Are you on summer break now?

Annieeee

Annieeee!! It's so good to see you posting! :D

Yes, I'm out for the summer, at least until August. I just finished taking two excelerated classes while working two jobs. I think I need to have my head examined. :cool:

Spanky, You'll need to check the Compass everyday as there is a different theme everynight. It takes a really great DJ to make some types of music great, but he did! I think I enjoyed every song. Daniel is his name. If you see him, tell him Jenny said hello. He played many requests for me.

The big night is the Disco Night where they play - Disco. They also have 80's night, Country, Salsa/Latin, Popular, and Hip Hop (which I don't like, but he's good). I can't remember every theme, but I always had a great time. He even played a little ballroom for me early in the night before it got crowded. Be sure to ask for Dean Martin, you'll put a smile on his face for sure.

Enjoy. :)

Archived