November Transatlantic Weather

We're thinking of taking the November 15-25 transatlantic on the Regatta (Lisbon-Miami), and I was wondering if passengers from previous years' crossings can advise me of the "typical" weather to expect. I realize, especially with Atlantic storms, that no crossing is typical, but in general, I was wondering at that time of the year, how warm the ocean and breezes usually are, and as the ship sails southwesterly towards Miami how soon do the pools and decks get warm and sunny enough to enjoy? With only one stop (in the Azores), being able to spend a fair number of days lounging in the sun would be very nice!

We were on the Prinsendam last year Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale, and we had only one day of rain. The weather was wonderful. I must say, that we enjoy movement of the ship. I would say it was a bit chilly to sit in the sun; however there were a number of folks who did so.

You can never really predict the Atlantic weather, as you know. One September we were on the Silver Cloud and experienced incredibly rough weather.

You should really enjoy that trip, in spite of sunning or not. We were on that trip but cancelled for other reasons.

Weather can always be "iffy", but we have had good experiences on late fall westbound Transatlantic crossings.

Last year we took the Sea Dream 1 from Seville to Fort Lauderdale in late October. Apart from being a great ship, the weather was wonderful. It was quite warm leaving Seville and stayed warm all the way across. No rain. A bit of a swell for two or three days, but otherwise very calm indeed.

On two other crossings in November on the Celebrity Millenium it was also smooth seas and warm weather.

We are booked on the Regatta for this November and hope that our luck holds up - see you on board!

Stu and I are doing the back to back starting 11/3 in Barcelona ending in Miami..when you add the two trips together..the second one is almost free..

See you on board!!

Jan

As noted, trans-Atlantic weather is often iffy. Smooth one trip, wild and wooly another.

We did a trans-Atlantic, 11-95, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale, on HAL's Maasdam. Smooth Lisbon to the Azores, West of the Azores, hit a large Atlantic storm. Our cabin, forward on Main Deck, flooded to depth of about 6 inches, along with some dozen other cabins, when water entered the hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway). Luckily, the ship was not full, and all affected passengers could be moved to other cabins. Fairly rough for a couple of days.

We have done several other trans-Atlantics, and have had both rough and mild crossings.

The smoothest we experienced was in the South Atlantic, 3-98, Recife Brazil to Dakar Senegal, on the late great Royal Princess. She was a good rider! Fineness of hull (hull form and length/breadth ratio) very important.

We did 2 transatlantic crossings in 2004 and 2005, one on the Star Princess in 2004 from Venice to FLL and last year on the Radisson Seven Seas Voyager (Now Regent) from Monte Carlo to FLL.

2 completely different vessels and two very different cruising experiences.

However the weather on both trips was very similar and we were able to enjoy our very different spaced balconies to the fullest extent. On each cruise we had a couple of days of stormy seas but crossing the Atlantic was smooth and warm as soon as we hit warm waters.

I did a review of the Voyager cruise which is posted on the Regent reviews page.:):)

We did Barcellona -Ft. Lauderdale in Nov. 2004. Crossing was smooth as glass.. Ship took "southern route" as we stopped at St. Maarten and St. Thomas first. It was warm, mid ocean air and water temperature in high 70s, and, with the sun out air temp. even higher mid 80's.

Archived