DIY excursions - shuttle buses LOS

I'm not sure about these specific cities, but on the Venice to Barcelona cruise last October, you purchased as many one-way tickets as you needed. Then, you use one ticket for each trip. Some people would go for two roundtrips if they were shopping or wanted lunch on the ship.

Yes, you can buy them at the pick-up / drop-off spot (there is a person with the bus selling and collecting tickets), but it's just as easy to get the rountrip tickets to begin with. You can order them from your stateroom, and they are delivered back to you. Then show up to catch the bus.

Yes, all the info is usually in the flyer they leave in your cabin for ordering the shuttle tickets for that port. The shuttles run continously from the pier (right next to the ship, usually) to the drop-off point in the city. You will wait on the bus until it fills up, but I think they ran every 15 minutes, depending on how long it takes to do a roundtrip. They have several buses running all the time, bank and forth.

Cost is $3 - $5 each way, maybe more if it's a longer drive.

Enjoy!!

pcur, thanks again. Remembering reading somewhere that you can also buy the return ticket on the bus and something about cheaper children's price if you buy if buy it on the bus. Wish I can find that thread so I know for my coming cruise. :)

Children's prices MIGHT be less; I don't know.

The tickets you buy for the private shuttle buses that the cruise ship provides are the same: you are buying separate one-way tickets.

You might also do some research on the Ports of Call board on CruiseCritic and see if anyone knows of less expensive shuttles or buses. We frequently take public buses in port, but I've found the docks are usually quite a distance from other transportation, except for taxis and buses that come in especially for the pax. I know this is true of the Med and Agean Sea ports we were in.

It costs the same amount to take a cab into downtown Lisbon as the shuttle. We had an incredible day with a taxi driver named Tony Soares in Lisbon. He took us to Sintra, which is the best area to visit fairy tale style castles. He gave the 4 of us a 5 hour tour for about $90.00. When his cab is not running, he does not charge. He took us to a wonderful restaurant for lunch, and sight seeing towards the coast. If we had engaged him right off the bat, we would have seen more for about $20.00 more. That's under $30.00 per person to have a driver guide with perfect english.

You can reach Tony in Lisbon via email at tonysoarespt@hotmail.com

Rick

Vigo..............unless the ship docks at the freight dock, you will be right downtown. No shuttle needed. Take your time and walk thru town and on up to the top of the old Castle fort on top of the city. Excellent views. Then work your way back down to the local fish market area for fresh oysters and excellent seafood in several outdoor cafes. If you are a shopper, Vigo has excellent prices on leather goods, including shoes.

Rick

Archived