If you could only buy 1 picture?

We have a group of kids (17,16,15,&14) going.:eek: These are all cousins. They are very close & This will probably be the last vacation we all take together (due to one going off to college). Would love a great picture taken by the ship's photographer. Where should we have this taken. I think they should dress up and have it taken on formal nite (suits and formal gowns - maybe what they wore to prom)? Any suggestions?

The ships photographers will be set up everywhere LOL with backdrops... just choose the one you want. I always like to have the embarkation picture, because it names the ship, date, etc. Get pics taken everywhere, then look at the pics and decide which you want. They will be there each night, not just formal nights

We have a group of kids (17,16,15,&14) going.:eek: These are all cousins. They are very close & This will probably be the last vacation we all take together (due to one going off to college). Would love a great picture taken by the ship's photographer. Where should we have this taken. I think they should dress up and have it taken on formal nite (suits and formal gowns - maybe what they wore to prom)? Any suggestions?

Yes, the Prom dresses would go very nicely during formal nights, there are a total of like 15 picture stations, including the nice stair case and the piano, I would take pictures at all of them and then look for them the next day and pick the ones you like.

Click on this link to see some of our Pictures: http://members.cox.net/wennfred1/wennfred

also here is one of Wendy

IMG_7872_186x280.JPG.15adb741d1f165d95e30401e69cd5c2c.JPG

With that many people - the steps near the lobby bar may be a good choice. :D I know that they use the steps on the formal nights - but I'm not sure about the other nights.

When we have had groups for pictures the steps have worked well - you can arrange by height, or age or whatever and the tiered setup lets you get lots of people into a small space. It's the only place we have "family portraits" taken :rolleyes:

I agree with other posters - have a bunch taken and then pick the best one at the end. It costs nothing to have them taken - only if you buy them. Also FYI....you usually have to buy the size that they originally print before you can order a different size. In other words if they print an 8 x 10 you have to buy it before you can order 5 x 7's.

Good luck!!

If the kids are not into the "formal" idea - there are always great casual opportunities too.

There were some great photos taken on a non-formal night last year when we were on the Triumph. They used a splatter background and several primary colored boxes and discs and shapes - they were great! Very unique and fun!

On our last cruise we really used the photo set ups. Our favorite photo was of a plan back ground. There wasn't any Carnival ships or a railing of a ship in the back ground. We could pick b/w or color. This was a causal photo.

P.S. You may want to take a group photo before every one gets sun burned!

Have a picture taken at every station both formal nights and the Olde Tyme Photos if they have that offered too. It is always better to have too many to choose from than not enough. Also just in case someone blinked.

Our favorite of all our pics is the black & white portrait we had taken on the first formal night last year on the Elation. It is actually the best picture we have ever taken in my opinion.

I agree with what the others have said - have pictures taken - casual or formal - the whole cruise and then decide. This...besides all the new friends...may be our daughter's favorite part of the cruise!!! She gets pics done pretty much every time there is a chance - just because it's fun!! Like her own little 5 day long photo shoot. YAY- we leave in a week!!!

Deborah

Victory - June 17th

The ships photographers will be set up everywhere LOL with backdrops... just choose the one you want. I always like to have the embarkation picture, because it names the ship, date, etc. Get pics taken everywhere, then look at the pics and decide which you want. They will be there each night, not just formal nights

I agree. Take all you want and then decide!

The first 8x10 is cost 20.00 then from there you can buy the other sizes, from wallets to 5x7's

Once you buy the 8x10 you can have smaller sizes made? I wasn't aware of this. Can you ever ask for smaller photos without buying a large one?

Hey there,

Lots of photo information on this previous thread (click below):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=295122

Good for newbies!:D

Other than that if you're choosing only one (which you won't be able to do, I guarantee you:p ) definitely the formal. Whenever else will you get a group of cousins all dressed up like that again.

Secondly, I read in another thread that you are talking about like 25 people!

In order to get the most out of it...

#1 Talk to the photographers the day before wherever you see them, and also talk to the photo gallery desk. You will really benefit both yourselves and the photographers if you make arrangements beforehand with a group that large. You would really be asking a lot of the photographers logistically if you try to just spring it on them at the moment (and it won't be fair to the other passengers waiting in line, because with that many people, it will take longer with your group).

#2 The photographers then, may possibly (it's up to their own discretion) arrange a separate time (before or after) to shoot your group. If you do this though, make sure nobody is late or flakes out. Better pictures for you, and less stress for the photographer.

#3 The atrium stairs are really one of the ideal places for a group this size, as it is one of the few locations to stagger everyone in levels so that everyone is seen.

The photographs in my opinion are the best souvenirs you can get from your cruise. Take advantage of that opportunity.

Good luck in planning, and check out that other thread.

CJW

Once you buy the 8x10 you can have smaller sizes made?

Yes.

Can you ever ask for smaller photos without buying a large one?

Unfortunately no.

If they already printed a large one, you have to buy that first, in order to get smaller ones printed. And they come in standard already determined sizes, so you can't ask "Don't print this up in 8x10, I only want a 5x7".

Formals are mostly (if not always) 8x10, more casuals are likely 5x7.

CJW

Yes, the Prom dresses would go very nicely during formal nights, there are a total of like 15 picture stations, including the nice stair case and the piano, I would take pictures at all of them and then look for them the next day and pick the ones you like.

Click on this link to see some of our Pictures: http://members.cox.net/wennfred1/wennfred

also here is one of Wendy

Fred...great pics of you and Wendy.

We loved our formal night picture of our family....it was one of the best ones we have taken.

A dear friend has the greatest photo of her family from their 1st cruise on the Glory --

On formal night they took their sunglasses -- and struck a "pose"! Teen daughter is (adorable) looking coy; Dad has a tough guardian pose with teen boy similar with a wrestler bent; Mom was just cracking up -- it is really one of the all time great cruise pictures I've seen!

So -- consider taking a "prop" for a set of pictures!

And -- I have a picture of me -- wet, in a swim suit, with an inner tube from cave tubing in Belize -- now, please understand -- I am large so a swimsuit isn't a "best" photo choice for me and I have never been a woman who looks anywhere near good when wet --- but that picture makes me smile and remember that excursion every time I see it!

So -- don't be shy -- get the picture taken!

My favorite photos are the ones taken by the stairway in the Atrium lounges. I agree with everyone else, though ~ get lots of pics at different backgrounds and choose your favorite. Beware, though ~ it's hard to resist buying one of each background. At least, for me. I always buy tons of photos, and I have them all over the house. :)

We were on the Valor last week with our four kids and three of their friends (celebrating one of our son's graduation from college). The only photo setup that could accomodate us all was on the atrium stairs. I bought that one, as well as the embarkation one. The embarkation one is always a little cheesy looking, but I always get it. It reflects our anticipation as we are boarding the ship, awaiting a fun-filled vacation.

If you could only buy 1 Picture?

I just remember, while looking for this Scrap book kit, I over heard a lady tell the Photographer there on duty that she wanted the 8x10 but didnt want to buy the package. He told her let me see what I can do. I think he gave her the 8x10 without having to pay for the additional package.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Fred

At those ages, how about faded denim (jeans, shorts etc...) with white tops (t-shirts, regular shirts, whatever) barefoot and with the beach scene with ship in the background? I saw a family that did that one and it really turned out cute! It was fun and casual - just like kids that age! Of course I would also do several different backgrounds on formal night as well!

It's hard sometimes to get kids (especially the boys) to take more than one or two pictures - so, if you get some resistance from them I would try and get them to agree with a formal and an informal. I was able to get some of the best pictures of my family on our cruise this past March (Valor -Mar 19-26 - W. Carib.). I've included a link to the slide show I did which is VERY long. However, if you skip to the end where the song Memories is, you can see the difference between the formal and informal (some of the pictures may be cut off due to the format it is shown in here on the boards).

<embed src="http://www.onetruemedia.com/share_view_player?p=547fd176fa448a3a7bad7"

Archived