Black Watch Med 31 July

flea b

Hello,

I'm sure you'll have an absolutely fabulous time on Black Watch. Not been on myself but heard rave reviews about it ~ very classy, personal service etc. Fred Olsen has a reputation second to none! I'm positive you'll have a fantastic cruise.

Happy Sailing,

Heather:p

Hi,

Although I have never been on Black Watch, I have been on other Fred Olsen ships and found them to be excellent.

Ships well looked after, staff first class, food excellent, ports of call and general organisation second to none.

I'm jealous, wish it was me going, enjoy!!!

Have a great cruise on Watch :)

I am booked on her sister Braemar 3 times in the next 16 months and have already decided that I will be going with Olsen every year now. Fantastic little ships that ooze with traditional feel and service :)

Read in the paper today that they have had an outbreak of Noro virus. This can happen on any ship but I would take extra precautions on a ship where this has occured recently.

Be wary of self serve buffets, they are a risk area and even on a Swan Hellenic cruise this month the practices in the self serve resteraunt (serving tongs laid down on top of the fruit etc) left somthing to be desired.

Look at how often the stairways are cleaned, hand rails are where most viruses are spread.

And pack some atiseptic wipes. You will have a great cruise on Black Prince, but stay healthy.

David.

Read in the paper today that they have had an outbreak of Noro virus. This can happen on any ship but I would take extra precautions on a ship where this has occured recently.

Be wary of self serve buffets, they are a risk area and even on a Swan Hellenic cruise this month the practices in the self serve resteraunt (serving tongs laid down on top of the fruit etc) left somthing to be desired.

Look at how often the stairways are cleaned, hand rails are where most viruses are spread.

And pack some atiseptic wipes. You will have a great cruise on Black Prince, but stay healthy.

David.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5066916.stm

She has had her next departure delayed so that she can be cleaned and disinfected. The comments from previous cruisers at the bottom of the article show just how well Olsen handle hygene regimes on their ships. One post in particular stands out...its a pity other lines don't do this...

My wife and I are big fans of Fred Olsen cruises, having been on the Black Prince five times. Our last cruise was on 20 May, 2006 when a number of passengers were struck down by a similar virus, they were confined to their cabins for 48 hours which were then disinfected. It has always been my opinion, however, that the company take the whole issue of hygiene and passenger well being very seriously, as previous posters have stated as you board the ship or enter the restaurant you are given a hand cleansing rub. On a cruise last year a friend of mine who is a poor traveller was sick on the coach en-route between airport and cruise ship (Fred Olsen's Braemar). On arrival at the ship she was taken immediately to the ship's medical section where she had to undergo an examination before being allowed to have her holiday, that is how seriously they take their responsibilities.

John Hynds, Ayr

• 3 weeks later...
Hi this is our first cruise & we are really excited! Anyone else going? or does anyone know anything about this ship? Thanks :)

Yes we are going - a family of 4 from Preston - our 3rd cruise

Hi! Try not to worry about the Bay, probably be really calm and Black Watch sails all over the world so she will look after us! I am so excited, can't wait. Doing research into ports of call as I was not sure if it would be easy enough to manage without doing organised trips but I have had lots of tips from veteran cruisers on a British Cruise site. (Ship Happens!)

Hello P1TKL, I think you may be Trisha? I am Fiona... My friends call me Fi but my family often call me flea... that's the reason I'm flea b!

Sorry if I'm wrong, just seems coincidental

By the way... I know you did Legend last year, what other cruise have you done? Really hope you won't be disappointed as BW is older & smaller. I thought it sounded really friendly,that's mainly why we went for it, but knew I wouldn't be comparing it to anything. Again, if it's not Trisha...Sorry :)

By the way... I know you did Legend last year, what other cruise have you done? Really hope you won't be disappointed as BW is older & smaller. I thought it sounded really friendly,that's mainly why we went for it, but knew I wouldn't be comparing it to anything. Again, if it's not Trisha...Sorry :)

Relax Fiona - yes its me Tricia ! Must admit I thought it may be you but hadn`t the courage to ask ! These boards are full of info on ports of call - I`ve spent hours trawling them ! We did a Thomson Emerald cruise in 2002 when kids were quite small. I suspect Black Watch is a similar size to this. I`ve heard lots of good reports about Fred Olsen so we are not worried. By the way on the subject of sea sickness our whole family have suffered on the first day at sea each time despite taking tablets - Bay of Biscay. However each time on our return through the Bay we were all fine. It has not put us off cruises at all though. Surely we cant be unlucky a 3rd time !

Can anyone recommend the most effective Sea Sickness tablets.

My wife & I are going on this cruise to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. She has always wanted to do this since we were married. I suggested a boat on the local Mon & Brecon Canal, but that didn't go down well!! I understand the excursions are quite expensive, but as we are cruise virgins I have been a bit apprehensive to make our own arrangements. I will probably wait until we are on board before deciding what trips to take.

Hi I was not sure if you were on same cruise as us or just sailing on same date? Anyhow, I feel sure there will be plenty of info given on board ship regarding ports of call as well as loads of other people to ask once on board. Sea sickness pills, I will research and let you know! Time to get excited now, stop worrying, it will be fine! By the way... every woman deserves a cruise, (that's what I told my hubby anyway). I must go to bed now, up for work early. Flea B

Hi Flea B, yes we are on the same cruise. I would never guess you were excited, just like my wife. Thanks for the info about the Ship Happens site, very useful. Also appreciate your help regarding sea sickness pills. I have looked up Sete on the internet & it does appear to be like venice, as it has a number of canals. Although after spending a week on board ship a canal trip would be the last thing I wanted to do!!!

Off to buy my TUX this weekend & I may treat my wife to an evening gown. Wayne

Hi Wayne, I must admit this cruise has started to get a bit expensive for my hubby, buying formal wear for 4!!!! We need new suitcases now and may be doing that later. I'm hoping he will love it that much we will be able to do more cruises and it will be cheaper as we are all rigged out! We are booked on P&O Oceana for Christmas & NY 2007 Caribbean, the only trouble is the kids keep growing! Had to book that one on day went on sail with it being over Christmas, It will be for my 40th Birthday! Be sure to notify Fred Olsen about you special anniversary if you havn't already, they will make a big fuss of you! Have a good day shopping, we got a lovely tux from M&S, we went to Nottingham last weekend, sales had just started; I could have got evening dresses really cheaply... if I had waited! O well, to be honest I only have one long one, one sparlkly one calf length, and a couple of dresses I would call 'cocktail dresses' and that's it! Not going over the top on things I can't wear again. Say hello to your wife from me! Glad someone else is excited!, Fiona :)

Hi Fiona, I have not got that many dresses!!! My wife says hello, but she is concerned about wearing long dresses (she does'nt do long dresses). M&S will be one of the stores we visit tomorow. We have informed the travel company about our special event and I hope they passed it on to Fred Olsen. You have obviously caught the cruise bug before your first cruise. O'h to be 40 again!! Say hello to hubby, see him in the golf nets? Wayne

Hi Wayne, I don't think dresses have to be long, my Mum did many P&O cruises when she was alive and she never wore a long dress even on formal nights, the one I have is borrowed from a friend and to be honest I don't feel myself in it, just taking it in case it's really needed. We have our new suitcases now, 4 weeks tomorrow we will be sailing! Not had tickets yet, as for golf, the only sort my hubby has played in years is crazy golf! Maybe they give lessons for beginners?? Looking forward to sunny days with a sea breeze, don't know about you but this hot humid weather is too much for me!! Bye for now, mountain of ironing to do... again. Fiona.

Hi Fiona, yes this hot weather is ok for holidays, but not for ironing or shopping for cruise clothing. At least I have now got the dinner suit & not too expensive, but my wife is still searching for her 'long dress'. My son was not too happy either about being dragged around the shops to find a suit for his school ball. I understand tickets are normally sent 2-3 weeks prior to sailing. Just been researching Barcelona & will probably use the 'hop on hop off' tourist bus, which looks good value. I am hoping we have the opportunity to visit the musical fountains, but I do not know what time they start, bearing in mind the ship departs at 11.00. Wayne

[i am hoping we have the opportunity to visit the musical fountains, but I do not know what time they start, bearing in mind the ship departs at 11.00. Wayne

The colour & music shows on the Magic Fountain in Montjuic are from Thursday to Sunday at 21:30, 22:00, 22:30 and 23:00. The duration is about 1/2 hour. The fountain opens at 20:00.

More details: http://www.bcn.es/fonts/

[i am hoping we have the opportunity to visit the musical fountains, but I do not know what time they start, bearing in mind the ship departs at 11.00. Wayne

The colour & music shows on the Magic Fountain in Montjuic are from Thursday to Sunday at 21:30, 22:00, 22:30 and 23:00. The duration is about 1/2 hour. The fountain opens at 20:00.

More details: http://www.bcn.es/fonts/

Wow these sound and look good - how do we get to Montjuic ? I am on Black Watch too. Could be a bit of a rush getting back to the ship for 11pm if the first show is 21.30. How far away is it from the ship ?

Hi Wayne, I don't think dresses have to be long, my Mum did many P&O cruises when she was alive and she never wore a long dress even on formal nights, the one I have is borrowed from a friend and to be honest I don't feel myself in it, just taking it in case it's really needed. We have our new suitcases now, 4 weeks tomorrow we will be sailing! Not had tickets yet, as for golf, the only sort my hubby has played in years is crazy golf! Maybe they give lessons for beginners?? Looking forward to sunny days with a sea breeze, don't know about you but this hot humid weather is too much for me!! Bye for now, mountain of ironing to do... again. Fiona.

You dont have to have a long dress on any cruise, they do quote cocktail dress, but as long as it is smart and dressy that will be fine.

Archived