Bringing along son's friend, need advice

:confused: We have invited my son's friend (age 14) to join us on our trip (US ports.)

One of my concerns is if our friends child finds himself in need of medical attention while we are on the trip.

Anyone have any experience with this and what I might need to have from the childs parents.

Appreciate any help, Thanks

:confused: We have invited my son's friend (age 14) to join us on our trip (US ports.)

One of my concerns is if our friends child finds himself in need of medical attention while we are on the trip.

Anyone have any experience with this and what I might need to have from the childs parents.

Appreciate any help, Thanks

For one, there is a Parental Consent form you have to fill out and his parents would have to sign, I think it also has to be notarized. I guess you will need a copy of this kids Insurance, or make sure to take out Trip insurance that covers medical expenses.

The form can be downloaded online, "Affidavit of Parental Consent for Travel of a Minor Child without Both Birth Parents Traveling"

I can fax you a copy if you need one. I does have to be notarized.

It's more than justs bringing him along. You'll need a release from the parents. There's a form you can have the parents fill out. Below are some of the questions you will probably need to address. But like I mentioned there is a form that covers all the questions. Don't let the info frighten you. We're taking a friends child with us also. It is an awesome responsibility though.

Note: If there are two parents listed on the child's birth certificate, you should be prepared to provide documentation to border officials showing that the second parent's consent is not necessary. For example, if a parent has sole custody, provide the original (or a notarized true copy) of the Custody Order or Judgment awarding sole custody. If a parent is deceased, provide the original (or a notarized true copy) of the death certificate.

Will the child be carrying a valid passport? Yes No

Child Passport Information

Nationality of passport:

Specify type: (e.g. British, Mexican)

Passport Number:

Date of Issue: (e.g. June 15, 2005)

Place of Issue: (e.g. Mayberry, Ontario) (e.g. Boston, Massachusetts) (e.g. Sydney, Australia)

Does the child have allergies or special medical needs if emergency medical treatment is required? Yes No

Specify:

Examples:

1. Dorothy is allergic to penicillin and cannot tolerate insulin injections.

2. Stephen has multiple sclerosis and is being treated with the drug Avonex.

Travel is:

Complete this sentence: "My child is traveling to ________________."

Examples:

1. London, England

2. France, Spain and Portugal

1. Yellowstone National Park, Montana for a camping trip from July 1, 2000 to July 16, 2000

2. Orlando, Florida for a trip to Disney World on June 15, 2000

Date Leaving Country: (e.g. July 15, 2006)

Date Returning to Country: (e.g. August 15, 2006)

Signing Details

Agreement will be signed? Today This Month Unsure

Where will the document will be signed?

City:

State:

To be of full effect, this document must be sworn and signed before a Notary Public. DO bring government issued identification and the child's birth certificate. DO NOT sign this consent form before meeting with the Notary Public.

If there is a custody order or death certificate, the original or a certified true copy should travel with the child.

I have a similar thread going also regarding bringing someone other than family along on our cruise. I was able to google a travel parental consent form. I comes out on adobe-& I printed it out & all that has to be done is filled out signed & noterized. Thanks for everyone's help. Love these boards.

I wrote out a letter myself i didnt need a form..... basicly it stated that the minor child was allowed to travel out of the country to Mexico on a 7 day cruise on the carnival ship the elation on (date of travel time). (your name) also has permission to have any and all (childs name) medical needs attended to for the dates of ( extend dates to allow for travel time.)

parents signiture

your signiture

date

and notary stamp and signiture

My TA faxed this to carnival and it worked fine.

It was only signed by his father because he had full custody but i never had to prove it and i was never asked to prove it. We had no problems.

I turned it in months prior to our travel date in case there was a problem but there was not. I did bring the original copy with me and was asked for it when i checked in. They looked at it and gave it back. I believe they were just checking the notary at that time since it was originally faxed to them.

I would recommend to you that you call Carnival and ask directly what to send them, then you will not be stressing about what to send. It is really alot easier then the rules they have on thier website.

Advice online is a great tool but when it is somthing important you should always check directly with the company seeing as they will be the ones who determine if you get on the boat or not;)

We took my son's friend to Europe with us for two weeks as a graduation from high school gift in 1996. All we needed was his passport and a certified letter from his parents saying we had complete authority for any decisions regarding medical as well as anything else. We had no problems. But again . . . that was ten years ago . . . don't know what it's like today.

We took my sons friend with us on the Pride in March. We had a letter from his parents authorizing him to travel with us and us to approve medical care if needed. The letter was notorized. We were asked to produce the letter by immigration upon return to California so glad we had it!

Here's the document we used. There are others.

We, (parent or parents) authorize our child (child's name) to travel on vacation from (dates) under the supervision of (temporary guardians's name).

(temporary guardian's name) are authorized to act as (child's name)

temporary guardian during this vacation and is authorized to accompany child

on the Carnival Cruise Line’s ship (name of ship) from (dates of the cruise).

We, (child's parent or parents) additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to the following

countries, ports of call and destinations this cruise vacation visits on its

itinerary including (ports of call). We

additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be

accompanied to any additional country or ports of call this ship may travel

to if its itinerary is changed by Carnival Cruise Lines. (temporary guardians) are also authorized to make decisions regarding medical treatment and medications necessary for (child's name) health to include the entire duration of their temporary guardianship during this trip.

(temporary guardians) are additionally authorized to accompany

(child's name) to travel (airline) on flights departing on (originating flight date) from (departure and arrival city), and return

flights on (airline) (date) from (departure and arrival city). We additionally give permission for our child, (child's name), to be accompanied to any additional air cities if flight

itinerary is changed by (airline).

_____________________________ ____________________________

(Name of parent / guardian) (Dated) (Name of parent / guardian) (Date)

Notary Statement and stamp below:

Great! I copied it and emailed it to the boy's guardian so she'll be prepared. Trip isn't until next year, spring break, but since he lives with his grandparents they can be getting up what they need in order for us to be able to take him.

I'm in a similar situation. I already have that paperwork signed by both parents and notarized. My question is: can we put a dollar limit on the sail and sign accounts for both our DD and her friend? They are 18 and 20. Their S&S will both be tied to our credit card and I want to have some control.

Archived