What happens if you don't pay in full on time?

vesw01

They will not automatically charge your card for the final payment. This requires that you contact your PVP or TA to make sure it's done. If you intend to cancel, then you also need to contact someone to be on the safe side. Don't leave anything to chance when it comes to your money! They have no idea of your intentions unless you tell them.

Do they automatically credit your credit card or do you have to physically call and cancel to get your money back if you decide not to go?

I would imagine the credit would eventually come through... if you don't pay, your booking is cancelled (i think there is a grace period of a few days)

Your cruise has a chance of being cancelled if you do not pay on time. They do have a grace period and your TA may be able to get them to extend the date(not very likely). I have seen and read about many cruises being cancelled for nonpayment, and you will lose your deposit.

If you booked through Carnival directly, they don't keep your credit/debit card number on file. It must be given when you make deposit and again when you make final payment.

If you don't think you'll be going on this cruise, the sooner you let them know, the better. Is it the Sept. or Oct. cruise? Moneywise, it makes a great deal of difference when you cancel the cruise.

When my final payment was due on March 13th, because I was using my debit card I was unable to pay the full balance of $758 because of the limit from my credit union. I opted to pay the $558 that day, which is what the Carnival vacation planner told me to pay and to call back several days later to pay the rest. Well, I forgot to call the next business day (Monday) and I got a email from someone at Carnival enlightening me that my 3rd person in my cabin would be cancelled if the balance had not been paid by the next 3-4 business days. I immediately called and paid the remaining balance with no issue, as it was an oversight.

So, Carnival will let you know if you owe! LOL

Serene is correct. They're under no obligation whatsoever to advise you that your final payment is due. If anyone is adult enough to book a cruise, they should be aware of when the final payment is due. I've never even heard of them letting anyone know...usually they just wait a few days and then cancel your booking. And well within their rights to do so.;)

They will not automatically charge your card for the final payment. This requires that you contact your PVP or TA to make sure it's done.

The last few online TAs I used automatically charge the final payment to your credit card about a week before final payment. I just keep an eye on my credit card activity online to be sure it has been taken care of on time.

The last few online TAs I used automatically charge the final payment to your credit card about a week before final payment. I just keep an eye on my credit card activity online to be sure it has been taken care of on time.

Interesting. My TA doesn't do that without prior authorization. She keeps an eye on a lot of things and would let me know when final payment was due, usually 10 days before it actually was due, if I didn't contact her first.

I have used the same TA for almost 10 years now and this is one of the reason I use him. He has my card # on file and I don't have to worry about final payments. He knows when my final payment is due and he automatically pays the final payment. This has worked for 19 cruises and 10 years-so that's one of the reason why I use a real live TA. I can call 24/7 (which I don't) if I have to-plus last year he moved and now lives about a mile from me-if I have to I can go knock on his door (which I wouldn't).

When I worked for Carnival, it was not possible to automatically cancel a reservation which had money on it! It had to be done manually by the sailing coordinator for that specific ship! Back then (4 years ago) they were not allowed to cancel the reservation without making several attempts to contact the guest! I was just talking to my best friend who still works in Customer Service at the Colorado Springs Reservations office, and he said that the policy still exists.

I remember many times taking final payment from a guest on a sailing that was not completly full, just a week or two before the sail date, when they had booked 8-10 months out. So it really just depends on how badly Carnival needs the cabin back as to how long they will wait! That being said.. if you are still planning on going, I would not take a chance.. just pay it:D

-Mike

Archived