Tipping

m183837

Since I have never cruises, what are the general guidelines for tipping on cruises?

M183837 -

Each cruise line has a slightly different recommendation and process. Generally you can count on around $10-$11 per day per person, more if you have a butler. Of course the amount should be increased/decreased based on the service you receive.

Some lines will automatically charge to your on board account (which you can adjust), others follow the more time honored method of rewarding your stewards, waiters, asst. waiters, asst maitre d', head housekeeper (again depends on line) on the last night of the cruise using envelopes that will magically appear in your cabin on the last night.

There are pluses to both - I myself prefer handing the envelope directly and saying a big thank you.

You'll find that these folks work very hard and are worth every penny - if not more. We've never tipped the minimum.

Have a grand time!

Joe

If you're traveling on one of the Atlantis chartered cruises, the basic tips are already included in the overall cost of the cruise. That's not to say you shouldn't tip your room steward if (s)he has done a good job for you.

Archived