Wireless Access on the Dawn

Can anyone give any info on Wireless Access on the Dawn. We will be in a BA on Deck 10. Will I get a signal on the balcony?

Does anyone know which public areas have a signal?

I expect that they will be available in the pool areas, reception atrium (which would include the Internet Cafe), but has anyone used other areas.

We will not be using a phone connection, but will still use the ships's internet package using our laptop with wireless card.

I am assuming that UK 802.11g is an international standard, so will work ok with US Routers.

Thanks for any help.

I just did and there were quite a few responses saying public areas. You can scan through those postings to see what other said.

I believe that wireless access is pretty much an international standard.

No signal on your balcony. You might get one by the cabin door if you are midship near the atrium. I know some have reported a single on deck 8 cabins near the Atrium/internet café.

The pool area is covered as well as the Atrium areas including the Internet café. I find the Java Café and excellent spot to sit, download my mail to outlook and post my blogs all created off line.

802.11g card will work just fine.

Here is the published coverage and a link to the PDF with details

Atrium Deck 7, 8 & 9, Blue Lagoon Restaurant, Pearly Kings Pub, Spinnaker Lounge, Deck 12 Poolside, Conference Room & Library

http://www.ncl.com/download/internet_info.pdf

By the way, a hint to reduce your costs. Find the BEST signal you can get, vs just getting a signal. It will reduce your time online, retransmits, etc.

Sure, you might look funny walking around with your open notebook balanced in your arms, but the signal strength and slow speed can be a killer.

By the way' date=' a hint to reduce your costs. Find the BEST signal you can get, vs just getting a signal. It will reduce your time online, retransmits, etc.

Sure, you might look funny walking around with your open notebook balanced in your arms, but the signal strength and slow speed can be a killer.[/quote']

Great help guys.

As suggested, garycarla, did the search and found the info needed, including all the previous replies from you, Shoreguy.

At least I know it works, and it's worth bringing the laptop.

Don't think I will get a signal in the cabin as we are halfway between fwd and midship stairs. Thanks for the tip about signal strength, not something you think about when you are used to normal at home broadband connection.

Interesting pdf download, Shoreguy, I hadn't spotted that one before. Interesting, what does it mean that laptop rental is "complimentary with the purchase of a timeplan"

Laptop rentals

Laptop rental – Complimentary with the purchase of a Time plan.

Laptop insurance - $3 per day

I haven't seen this posted before, do they have an adequate supply, or can you pre-order.

I am glad I didn't notice it before, I wouldn't have had the excuse to purchase my latest toy.:D

I always thought there was a charge, thought it was $20 per day.

Interesting pdf download, Shoreguy, I hadn't spotted that one before. Interesting, what does it mean that laptop rental is "complimentary with the purchase of a timeplan"

Laptop rentals

Laptop rental – Complimentary with the purchase of a Time plan.

Laptop insurance - $3 per day

I haven't seen this posted before, do they have an adequate supply, or can you pre-order.

I am glad I didn't notice it before, I wouldn't have had the excuse to purchase my latest toy.:D

I always thought there was a charge, thought it was $20 per day.

It always was a daily rental. I posted the link and never notice the change. Maybe they have laptops collecting dust. I could not imagine renting one at the old rates. Normally complementary means free :)

Archived