Death on the Inspiration?

MaddyDarby

I hope this doesn't come across as morbid curiosity. I'm just wondering if anyone was on the Inspiration this week (6/5 sailing) and heard about a teenager being killed in Cozumel.

My husband returned from a dive trip, went back on board to shower/change and as he was debarking again, he heard a man next to the gangway saying '...and the kid died'. He saw several teenagers sitting on the pier, crying and talking on cell phones. As he walked down the pier, he passed a teenage boy who was crying. "Really crying" as he put it. These were older teens, maybe on a graduation trip as there were many aboard wearing 'class of 2006' t shirts.

Our concern was that something had happened on a non-ship excursion or a beach activity. A 17 year old that my kids (8 and 3) had buddied up to told us she heard it might have been a car accident...as if he rented something and got into an accident. No speed limits in Cozumel, you know. For the sake of safety for all passengers going into port, I really would like to know what happened so we can all steer clear of any similar situations. I only book with reputable operators in each port, but I'm sure many go with the 'cheapest on the pier'.

Have to say I am getting a little creeped out. The last time we sailed was December '04 on the Conquest when the guy on his honeymoon fell overboard a few hours before docking, which was an unbearable tragedy.

Maybe this teen died in the US and the kids heard about it? I say this because this is what happened when we cruised with a group of seniors and their parents a few years back. Once in PR, one of the girls who was a little homesick called home and got news that her cousin had died. This young man was well known and had played soccer with several of the boys on the cruise. It was heartbreaking to say the least......My heart goes out to the family of that boy whatever the circumstances.

As for the safety of teens on a cruise, we kept them with us in port at all times. That way you can enjoy yourselves not worrying what they are up to or if they will make it back to the ship on time.

Guest YesitDonna

I was on this sailing and also heard of someone getting killed on an excursion. We heard the same that the kids were on the pier crying, although we heard it was 2 kids around 18. The ship also left later then we had originally had been told we would, although that happens quite often.

Maybe this teen died in the US and the kids heard about it? I say this because this is what happened when we cruised with a group of seniors and their parents a few years back. Once in PR, one of the girls who was a little homesick called home and got news that her cousin had died. This young man was well known and had played soccer with several of the boys on the cruise. It was heartbreaking to say the least......My heart goes out to the family of that boy whatever the circumstances.

As for the safety of teens on a cruise, we kept them with us in port at all times. That way you can enjoy yourselves not worrying what they are up to or if they will make it back to the ship on time.

Oh, Elaine, what a GREAT point! I'm sad to say I really hope this was the case. It's never an easy thing to receive news of a death, but my husband and I just kept saying over and over how we couldn't imagine sending our kid off on a cruise (I went for my grad in 1984) and her never coming back.

Great point, lightsluvr, about the news, too. Although I can say that it took almost 20 hours for the networks to pick up the story of the honeymooner falling overboard in '04 (I was actually on deck immediately after the alarm was sounded, talked to others, and still remain convinced he was pushed...but that's for another thread!).

MaddyDarby: hello - we were on the dive trip with your husband - tell him I'm the "Twizzlers Girl". We remember seeing a teenage (18-19?)girl sobbing on the pier also - but we did not hear anything - there were so many teenagers on this cruise - how awful for all of them - my thoughts go out to all involved - no matter what happened the girl we saw was very upset.

How sad!! We are going on Glory in Aug. with friends and our teenagers (18, 17, 14 &13). The older boys had it in their heads that they would get to go off on their own on the Islands. We told them that is not happening. They will be staying with us.

Michele

I am sorry to hear that something may have happened. Back in April of 2003 my DH and I were on the Celebration when a man fell overboard and was found the next day by another ship. The scary thing is that no one noticed for HOURS that he was missing, so it was too late to search for him on our ship! As far as I remember we were not told anything about it by the cruise line, we just heard it via other passengers (sp? dyslexic... sorry!) on the ship. Of course when we got home it was all OVER the news!

Just an FYI, the guy that fell over was in our muster station and was VERY intoxicated from the moment he boarded on the ship. We saw him a few hours before standing on the railing (sp?) on the sides of the ship. An officer told him to get down before he got hurt.... sounds like he didn't listen at all!

If something happened I'm sure that someone will hear it on the news. I'm just sorry to hear about these kids. :(

Cindy... counting down the days until our Halloween trip on the Conquest!!!

That thread is referring to a heart attack victim on June 1st. Our cruise left Tampa on 6/5/06 - we were in Cozumel on 6/8/06 - the rumors seem to be that something happened to a teenage boy while in Cozumel. There were tons of teenagers on board celebrating high school graduations.

Mrs. Kravitz here.:D I can see you guys are all scratching your heads, too. Honestly, it still makes my stomach turn to think something did happen, and when you have more than one person hearing or seeing the same thing, ya gotta assume that something happened. I'm wondering, if it wasn't a Carnival sponsored excursion (which it obviously wasn't or it WOULD be all over CNN!), would it be in the local newspaper? Okay, now I'm starting to sound obssessed. Maybe it's the mom thing...you desperately want to know so you can make an attempt to keep the world from getting near your kid.:eek:

Between my experience on Conquest 5/04 and Inspiration 6/06, my girlfriend who just discovered cruising has said maaaaaaaaaybe she doesn't want to go with me.:D

Lisa

Other posters have said they crying teens were on cell phones... perhaps there was bad news from back home and no one died on an excursion.

On the other hand, if someone was just swimming on their own at a beach and drowned, that would probably not make much international news. It happens all the time around here and only makes the local paper.

Archived