room assignments and sea pass cards?????

We booked two people per room to get the lower price. My husband is in with a friend but will actually be with my son and I. Can we get his sea pass card changed to work in our room door or do I need to get an extra one for our room. I got our room with a sofa bed so i know we can have three in it. Also will room steward say anything?:confused: we are going to be on Mariner.

I have no idea how to anwer you, but have you given any thought to how you are going to handle the tip? If he is supppose to be in one room, that cabin attendant is counting on the tip from your hubby. But your hubby will be in your cabin with you and your son, and so your cabin attendant will also be expecting a tip from the 3 of you. If the cabin attendant is one and the same for both cabins then it will even out, but if two attendants, then what?

Happy cruising,

Annieeee

we always make sure the room stewards get their tips per person. we should have the same one because all 4 rooms in our group are together but if not then we make sure each one gets for the people assigned to the rooms they are taking care of. I worked many jobs that i relied on tips so i would never cheat anyone out of their money. we tip extra anyways.:)

We have done this. When you get on the ship, go to purser desk and tell them you need to switch the cards. They will gladly do it for you. As far as the tips go, if the rooms are together, the steward will know who is in what room and you tip accordingly. If you have the same steward for both rooms that is. If not then I would tip as per how many are in your reservation originally per room.

Missy

Just get the keys to the rooms, and give the appropriate key to whomever you want. It doesn't matter one whit! When you get off and on the ship, the card still has the correct ID info--they don't care which room you are in, and neither does the room attendant.

Just get the keys to the rooms, and give the appropriate key to whomever you want. It doesn't matter one whit! When you get off and on the ship, the card still has the correct ID info--they don't care which room you are in, and neither does the room attendant.

This advice doesn't make sense to me, maybe I am reading it incorrectly. The sea pass card is the key. If one trades cards, the sea pass when departing or arriving at the ship would pull up the wrong information on the security terminal and will create a hassle at the gangway.

but his key wouldn't work in our room for the door right? how can i get his key to work in our door.

Talk to guest relations when on board and have them change the room number on your husbands card....I'm guessing his sea pass will then no longer work in his original stateroom though. Trying to switch sea pass cards will just create a lot of confusion for all.

Is the money you saved worth this hassle?:D ....Probably is, huh?

We are doing the same thing as the OP, for a similar reason.

If possible, we are going to link each original seapass with the appropriate credit card for that person. Then, we will get one extra seapass for each cabin, to use as a key to that cabin.

I would change everything to the correct people once we are on board, but there are cabin discounts that might follow the person. I'm afraid that we would somehow lose the discount if two people with the "per cabin" discount end up "officially" in the same cabin.

So, if anyone has played "musical passengers" to maximize discounts for their group in the original booking, then rearranged everyone once they got on board, please tell us how you worked everything out, so that room keys, seapass charges, and discounts were all what they needed to be.

Thanks!

Talk to guest relations when on board and have them change the room number on your husbands card....I'm guessing his sea pass will then no longer work in his original stateroom though. Trying to switch sea pass cards will just create a lot of confusion for all.

Is the money you saved worth this hassle?:D ....Probably is, huh?

the money saved is worth it instead of paying 799 per person for 2 in each room for 3 in 1 room it would have been 1189 each for 1st and 2nd and 899 for third so we booked this way to save $880.00:eek: we have 8 people. parties of 2,2,1, and 3.

I just switched and put my dad in my cabin with me and my kids and put my husband in my mom's cabin. Mom and dad are both 55+, so by adding my dad to my cabin, we got the senior discount on our cabin too -- $400 off ($100 per person). It's definitely worth it.

In doing this switch, I spoke to a wonderful woman at RCCL. She said she always tells people booking multiple rooms to split up the seniors in case a senior discount is offered.

She also explained to me that they should keep their original sea passes, as they will have their pictures and ID imbedded for getting on and off ship, and because you would be removing a senior from the room and thus not eligible for the discount. She advised us to go to Guest Relations and have an additional key card made for each room. The only disadvantage is my father and my husband will each have to carry two cards, but that's not a big deal for them.

Additionally, each person can be set up on their own credit card account to be tied to their sea pass. My parents can still have their charges go on their credit card, and my husband's charges can still go on mine. When setting up your set sail pass to print, you will see that you can enter varying credit card info per passenger.

As far as tipping, our cabins are right across the hall from each other, so we'll probably have the same room steward. But since we are not changing the number of people in each cabin, that won't make a difference anyway. Also, we have all prepaid our tips.

Thanks for a clear description of the way to deal with this! We are also dealing with per cabin discounts, so we don't want to rearrange the people and lose those discounts.

I was hoping there might be a way to avoid two people having to carry around 2 seapass cards (one for a room key, one for charging and getting on and off the ship) but I guess that's not the case.

Oh well, it's not really a big deal.

:-)

One last thought - do you think they would give you an extra seapass for each cabin at the dock, when you check in, so that you wouldn't have to mess with it on the ship at all?

Thanks for a clear description of the way to deal with this! We are also dealing with per cabin discounts, so we don't want to rearrange the people and lose those discounts.

I was hoping there might be a way to avoid two people having to carry around 2 seapass cards (one for a room key, one for charging and getting on and off the ship) but I guess that's not the case.

Oh well, it's not really a big deal.

:-)

One last thought - do you think they would give you an extra seapass for each cabin at the dock, when you check in, so that you wouldn't have to mess with it on the ship at all?

I was advised to go to Guest Relations, but it can't hurt to ask when you check in. To avoid confusion, I would not ask for an extra seapass. I would ask for an extra key card. The only thing the card will do is open the door. People with kids in separate cabins ask for them all the time.

I have a similar situation. We were booked in a D1 cabin (4 of us) I was hoping to get a spare inside for the kids when we got to the ship, but was willing to remain as one group if that did npt pan out. Well...we have one more who wants to join us, but the cabin would only hold 4 so...I booked another cabin, but only moved one person (a little confusing, I know). The plan is to move the remaining person to an inside when we get to dock side (the cabin can hold 3) that way my D1 will have 2 (hee hee) and the inside will have 3. I was told to make changes dockside. If there are any problems I will go to guest relations while onboard. Regarding the tip I always tip more than the suggested amount (unless the services sucks...which has not happend yet) However I will only tip the appropriate cabin attendant, for the persons served.

Archived