Sea Sick Meds ?

PJBUCHEIT

We are taking our family on a cruise in Sept on the Carnival Paradise. I was wondering, do children experience motion sickness like some adults do? Can children as young as 2 take anything for motion sickness? We are taking all of our 6 kids ages 18,15,14,10,10, and 2 and was not sure if I should get a prescription for motion sickness for them. Thanks for any info.

Hi,

I was just at the doctor today with my son for the same reason. He was prescribed phenergan 12.5mg every 6-8 hours as needed. It's a widely used anti-nausea medicine. My son is 70lbs and 9 years old. The older ones can either use that or the scopalamine patches if your doctor will prescribe it for them. The 2 year old I'm not sure about. I don't plan to use it if I don't have to, but it's nice to have just in case!

Have a great trip!

Hi,

I was just at the doctor today with my son for the same reason. He was prescribed phenergan 12.5mg every 6-8 hours as needed. It's a widely used anti-nausea medicine. My son is 70lbs and 9 years old. The older ones can either use that or the scopalamine patches if your doctor will prescribe it for them. The 2 year old I'm not sure about. I don't plan to use it if I don't have to, but it's nice to have just in case!

Have a great trip!

Thank you for the info. I had planned on finding out for sure from their doctors. Just don't want a bunch of sick kids. I want them to be able to enjoy their vacation.

hi let me share my two cents worth...just consult with your doctor....

I took my daughter (2 yo at the time) on a RCCL with three hurricanes on the water (one hit Bermuda the night before we boarded so we had to go to Canada and the day after we left Canada for Boston ANOTHER hurricane hit the same area in Canada that we just left WOW)

needless to say, the waters were rough the first night (when they were all on the water and close to us). My ped said that my daughter can take low drowsy Dramine cut in half evey 18 hours at her age. Becuase we were all feeling it... she only took one half pill and was fine. no problems the rest of the cruise. I am taking my 9 month old for his check up (he will be cruising with us in three months) and I will ask my doctor (different one now) what I should have handy JUST IN CASE for both my baby and my daughter who will turn 5 during the cruise (she turned two while in that other cruise)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been investigating the same topic on line for my 6 and 3 yo children and it looks like from what I have read that Benadryl can also be used as a motion sickness medicine. It often makes you sleepy, but then again so do most antihistamines which is what many motion sickness meds are anyway. (Found this out because my mother in law insisted she took Sudafed for motion sickness, which I thought was kindof insane, but after researching it looks like many motion sickness medicines really are antihistamines)

Regular Dramamine (the drowsy kind) is Diphenhydramine...the same ingrediant as Benedryl. You can purchase chewable and liquid grape children's benedryl, and try it at bedtime. (Check the label for age restrictions.)

For older kids, Bonine, and Dramamine II are probably better....but they are considered LESS drowsy! Some people have found good results also taking this at bedtime. Bonine is chewable. The ingrediants are the same in both...Meclazine. You can find generic Meclazine at Target for less than $5.00.

Never heard of anyone using Sudafed...that's a decongestant:confused: . I do use that for flying though, as my ears can get really clogged up:( .

According to the show "Mythbusters," they found regular Ginger Capsules was the best seasickness preventative. These can be found in great quantities at GNC's. I usually use Meclazine, but I'm going to try the Ginger capsules on my next cruise.

Take Care,

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

You are going on my favorite ship!!! We were on the last smoke free cruise thru the Panama Canal on the Paradise. My kids were 7 & 8 and we had 2 hurricanes on the east coast and 2 on the west coast!! We bought some of the wristbands they sell on board at the gift shop. I never thought they would work, but after wearing them for about 10 minutes, both kids plus my husband felt 100% better!(I didn't get sick:) When they would take them off, they would start feeling woosy again and put them back on, fine again! I also agree with the ginger capsules, but for the 2 yr old, I would try the bands.

alimabean - your MIL is right. All anti nausea meds are basically anti-histamines. Strange huh.

Anyway, to the OP, do your kids get sick on amusement park rides? I am guessing if the spinning motion of a ride doesn't bother them, then I can bet the ship won't either.

I get sick on everything, even in cars, so I take Dramamine for my first couple of days on board. But neither one of my children ever had a problem.

The ones who are 6 and older can take draminine or bonine for the first few days if needed. The 2 year old, you can check with the doc. I've never needed to use anything for my toddler on board. Safe meds for a toddler (like benedryl) would be too sedating.

Archived