Victoria Hotel Question

I will be in Victoria the second week of May '07 and need help in deciding which hotel to pick. We will only be there a couple of nights and more interested in staying somewhere convenient to the downtown area and the bus terminal. Since it will be early May I assume the weather will still be fairly cool for walking along the harbor area thus my decision for picking something more in the downtown area. We are from Houston, so we are not accustomed to cold weather.

My picks are the Bedford Regency Hotel, Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, Executive House Hotel, Hotel Grand Pacific, Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites, Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour, Magnolia Hotel and Spa, and finally the Royal Scot Suite Hotel.

Most of these also have restaurants which could be a consideration in my decision as well. I know the list is long, but would really appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Ginger

Hey there, the weather here is very hard to predict, but I do not think it will be cold! It may be rainy and wet but not freezing. We do not get that cold cold weather here! Be sure to pack an umbrella, or a rain coat! I know this year is May it was sun and rain mixed, but next year could be a whole different pattern. OK as for Hotels, all the ones you have listed are right downtwon and near the Inner Harbour, and all very close to the bus stop.

Bedford Regency Hotel - Right along Government street, across from the mall, nice place but not the best choice IMO

Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites - This hotel is about a 3 or 4 minute walk to the inner Harbour, has very nice rooms, and the Restraunt VISTA 18 is very nice. Has a nice view of the city. This hotel would make a good choice.

Executive House Hotel- This is directly across the street from the Chateau Victoria also a very nice hotel with nicer rooms. They have a nice pub downstairs as well as a great Steak house. Another good choice IMO.

Hotel Grand Pacific - This hotel had an expansion put on it a few years back, and is a very nice hotel. It has a great location it is right next to the Parliament buildings, and directly across from the Inner Harbour. I am not sure about the restraunts in this hotel. But it was a very nice hotel. If you are wanting a room with a view of the Ocean this is a very good choice. One whole side of teh hotel looks into the Inner Harbour.

Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites - This hotel is directly across the street from the bus stop, and a few minute walk to the inner harbour. It has a very nice restraunt in the hotel. I have not seen any of the rooms in this hotel, but a friend used to work there and said they were nice.

Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour - This is the newest hotel in downtown Victoria it just opened early last year. I have heard the rooms are very nice, and that is has some nice restraunts in it. I know last year when they first opened they were offerning some great deals on rooms. Not sure if they are still. This hotel is directly behind the Executize hotel.

Magnolia Hotel and Spa - I have not heard much about this hotel, so can not really help giving you any thoughts on it.

the Royal Scot Suite Hotel - This hotel is an older hotel and is located directly behind the Grand Pacific. It is centrally located as well. I do not know much about this one either.

If you require any further help please just ask.

Thanks Nilla, this is most helpful. Now all I have to do is make a decision.

Another question, this time about Vancouver. Do you know if the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel is within walking distance to Gastown and Chinatown? It is so hard to tell from a map. Also I assume it is fairly safe in this area of town.

Thanks for all you help

Ginger

I will be in Victoria the second week of May '07 and need help in deciding which hotel to pick. ...My picks are the Bedford Regency Hotel, Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, Executive House Hotel, Hotel Grand Pacific, Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites, Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour, Magnolia Hotel and Spa, and finally the Royal Scot Suite Hotel.

Ginger

Ginger: Have stayed at Chateau Victoria, Executive House and Marriott Inner Harbour - don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Personally I like the size of the rooms & suites in Chateau Victoria -- feel more like an apt than a hotel room, and their Vista 18 restaurant on the top of hotel is good as well. Marriott also has an excellent restaurant with fantastic creme brulée...

As for Vancouver, the Sheraton Wall Centre is in a very good location, and very safe as well. It's roughly a mile to walk to Chinatown and gastown - and if you don't want to walk there is a city bus right outside the door (or taxis) to take you in minutes.

In May it will most likely be in the 15 - 20 degree Celcius range (think 60 - 70 Fahrenheit) in Victoria/Vancouver. We are not the frozen North here on the West Coast........;)

Enjoy your stay!

Dave

Another question about transportation. We will be arriving by bus from Vancouver. Most of the hotels are close but not close enough to walk with a lot of luggage in tow. Are there taxis at the bus terminal that will take you that short of a distance or is there some other simply means of transportation? Do the hotels have shuttles from the bus terminal?

Ginger

Some of the hotels will have shuttles, I am pretty sure most that you are enquiring about will have. The Chateau Victoria and the Executive house are I would say a 2 minute walk from the bus station. You can see them right there! But if you woudl like to give me the ones you have narrowed it down to choosing, I will call for you and ask if they have a shuttle bus that they pick up guests at the bus station.

• 3 weeks later...

Try the Union Club. It is a very old and elegant club that now will rent out rooms and suites to woman and coules. Breakfast is included and the suites are beautiful. It is across the road from the Empress Hotel.

The history of British Columbia was made in this club. The food is very very good. Look at the details in the wood in the ceilings. You will enjoy your surroundings here,

Magnolia Hotel is a nice boutique hotel - right beside the Union Club.

The other hotels are the typical chain hotels that you can stay in anywhere.

The bus station is connected to the Empress but as moving luggage can be very difficult there are taxis that meet every bus.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend and I stayed at the Magnolia May 2005. It was a very nice hotel. We got a great deal using hellobc. It is about a block and half from the bus terminal. We just walked with our rollerbags. They had continental breakfast included with the room rate. The location is great.

Archived