Renewal of Vows aboard Zaandam

lardan

Hello:

I am taking my wife on the Zaandam this summer for out 20th anniversary. I have been looking on the HAL website, and they have a Renewal of Vows package that includes dinner in the Pinnacle, Renewal Ceremony, among a couple of other things.

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and what their thoughts were. It is $129. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello:

I am taking my wife on the Zaandam this summer for out 20th anniversary. I have been looking on the HAL website, and they have a Renewal of Vows package that includes dinner in the Pinnacle, Renewal Ceremony, among a couple of other things.

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and what their thoughts were. It is $129. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I surprised my wife with the ROV cermony on the Zuiderdam last Oct. for our 40th anniversary and both of us thought that it was wonderful. There eight couples that renewed their vows, but the Capt. did each one separtly. The did in the Piano Bar and had classical music and hor'derves (?). The ship's photographer took photos of us the Capt. and HM and one of just us. They were given to us along with a certificate in a very nice album. We thought it was well worth it.

Richard

We recently renewed our vows on the Oosterdam. We thought it was well worth the price. A lovely reception in the Oak Room, just off the Crow's Nest, included refreshments, as well as a time to visit with Captain Mercer. The album has several pages - is more like a combination photo album / scrapbook. We received several photographs and of course the evening at the Pinnacle. The ceremony was simple, but nice. Each couple had their own ceremony with a joint toast at the end. The string quartet was wonderful.

We've renewed our vows twice already: on the Rotterdam and again on the Westerdam, and each time it was lovely. Guess what we're doing on our next cruise, on the Zaandam? My husband lost his wedding band, so I've ordered a new one for him and will present it, at his request, in our third (probably last) ROV ceremony in September. The ROV package is a great value and it's performed with style and sincerity on HAL.

Mrs Muir

We did the ROV on Oosterdam in April. As others have said, it was a very nice ceremony. I can't add too much to that.

As far as the price, it is actually quite a bargain. The Pinnacle grill alone would cost you $40. The album that they give you is nicer than the one they sell in the photo shop for (I think) $30. We got one 8 x 10 ($20) and several 5 x 7's ($10-12 apiece).

Do it!

Paul Noble

We did the ROV on Oosterdam in April. As others have said, it was a very nice ceremony. I can't add too much to that.

As far as the price, it is actually quite a bargain. The Pinnacle grill alone would cost you $40. The album that they give you is nicer than the one they sell in the photo shop for (I think) $30. We got one 8 x 10 ($20) and several 5 x 7's ($10-12 apiece).

Do it!

Paul Noble

Thanks to all who responded. I just went ahead and booked the Renewal of Vows package and I am looking forward to it.

Two Questions:

1) What night and time was the renewal of vows ceremony?

2) Were you able to choose the night you wanted to eat in the Pinnacle Grill, or did you have to eat in there the night of the ceremony?

I already have two nights booked in the Pinnacle and wanted to use one of the nights that I already have reservations for as part of this package.

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded. I just went ahead and booked the Renewal of Vows package and I am looking forward to it.

Two Questions:

2) Were you able to choose the night you wanted to eat in the Pinnacle Grill, or did you have to eat in there the night of the ceremony?

I already have two nights booked in the Pinnacle and wanted to use one of the nights that I already have reservations for as part of this package.

Thanks

Our ROV was on the second folmal evening. It is my understanding that is up to the Capt., but that is when he usually does it.

Yes, you can choose which evening you want to go to the Pinnacle.

Richard

Ours was on informal night... It started I think at 7, and lasted about an hour. We did the Pinnacle the evening prior, but the other two couples in our group had made reservations for that evening at 7:45... They had to rush off almost as soon as the ceremony ended. We had late seating for dinner, so were able to linger a bit longer and thus had our own private visit with the Captain and ACD.:p

Two Questions:

Thanks

1. On the Amsterdam it was at 7:30 on our first formal night.

2. You get to choose the night you want to eat at the Pinnacle. On our first day on the ship we went to the Pinnacle, made reservations and said we were having our vows renewed. They marked that down on our reservation and by the time we had dinner we received the card entitling us to the dinner.

By the way, if you plan on using the photo album for more photos than you have pages, I suggest you buy the additional pages on the ship as they are an odd size and you might not find them elsewhere.

Another point, they charge extra - I think $7.50 per person - for guests. However, we noticed that people sat outside the area and took pictures of their friends who were renewing their vows and joined them after the ceremony.

Hope you have a wonderful experience and a great cruise.

Joan and Al

Our ROV was actually on a casual night. The invitation we received stated casual dress. However, everyone was dressed very formal for the event. We ate at the Pinnacle that evening (early) because we wanted a formal affair. It was held on our 5th day out - we didn't know the date until our 2nd day on the ship, when we received our invitation.

We just renewed our vows on the Westerdam. It was wonderful! I agree with what others have said. Our ceremony was the second formal night, a Friday, at 7:00 pm. I found pages that fit the photo album at Wal-Mart. We ate at the Pinnacle on a Tuesday. The captain was wonderful and he stayed and visited a while with each of the four couples. The photo album was delivered to our cabin Saturday evening. We disembarked Sunday morning.

My DH and I renewed our vows for our 25th anniversary on the Zaandam last January. It was a lovely. There were only two couples at our ceremony, so we had lots of time to chat with the captain. It was a casual night, but we all dressed for the occasion. We ate in the Pinnacle that night, but you can use that credit any evening. I was afraid it would be "tacky" but cruising friends who had done it previously assured us we would find it meaningful, and we did. We both cried.

Our first cruise is to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I'm glad I read this thread because I didn't realize something like this was available. I think we are going to do it too.

I mentioned it to my husband and he thought it a wonderful idea. But of course, being the man he is, he said Oh, so that means you're not going to push me overboard? My reply, No dear, it will only make it more believable as an accident.

Archived