Disembarkation restrictions in Libya

sandy1020

I was just on the Circle of the Sun cruise starting last January on the Prinsendam. We were to have made two stops in Libya but they were scrubbed at the last minute as Americans were not allowed to disembark. They substituted Kusadasi, Athens and Malta which was jake by me.The Good Captain could have put Canadians and others ashore but declined as a matter of personal policy.

We had a number of ex-marines onboard some of whom had chosen the cruise primarily for the Lybia stop to see and collect sand from the "Shores of Tripoli". They wanted to "bookend" the Marine Hymn as one put it. They were bitterly disappointed with the cancellation as they viewed it as probably their last chance to visit a most inaccessible historic site where the Corps left a lot of blood on the beach.

Sargeant Major Jim has a Marine Corps shrine in his home with soil from all the major battlegrounds where Gyrenes fought and died. He was somewhat placated when a Canuck pax with a buisness connection in Tripoli arranged for a bottle of sand to be sent directly to Jim so at least the cruise provided him with a connection that got the job done.

I was very surprised with the negative reaction after the cancellation announcement until I learned peoples motivations. You can never assume you know what turns other peoples crank.

Ides

From reading the 2 CC boards related to Africa and to the Prinsendam, it is evident that some folks are only taking specific cruises because of Libya and appear to be ready to protest, become obnoxious (my word) on the ship, bad mouth HAL, etc. if they cannot visit Libya.

One poster implied that this would be many of the folks on the cruise. I questioned the use of "many" as I thought that "many" would realize that such a stop may not be feasible and would be prepared for such a possibility. That aside, it is evident that it is a popular cruise selection, in part at least because of Libya.

I might add that I do understand the various perspectives on visiting Libya and respect each person's right to make the decision for themself, whether I agree with it or not.

I agree with you here. My response was more in regard to the post detailing the infringements and attacks on Americans by Libya. I found it highly political and not in keeping with the tenor of this board.

I respect anyone's decision not to visit a certain country, but I would rather not relive any past or present government or terrorist activities on Cruise Critic.

Beth

Beth,

Sorry if I offended you but you have to understand, my active duty years were spent in the 80's watching shipmates die at the hands of these guys and we had our hands tied. Our rules of engaugement were geared to the USSR and not these people. It's not political, it's a military man's point of view.

Archived