Cancel For Any Reason - Insurance?

nycruise

Anyone familar with an insurance policy that will allow you to cancel your cruise for "Any Reason".

I know other cruise lines will allow you to cancel for any reason and receive at least a 75% credit on a future cruise, I don't think that's the case with Carnival.

Thanks.

Up to the time before "Final Payment" is due, you can cancel for any reason and get all of your money back.

After that 70 day deadline, I don't think there are ANY cruiselines or insuance companies out there who will give you 100% of your money back "Just Because".

Then again, I may be mistaken:cool:

8. Reservations will be held until 30 minutes prior to departure. No refunds will be made in the event of “no shows”, unused tickets, lost tickets, interruptions, partially used tickets, or cancellations received late or after the start of the cruise. A cancellation occurs when a stateroom is released and not simultaneously rebooked on the same sailing. Carnival strongly recommends the purchase of trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent. Cancellation charges for individual bookings will be assessed as listed below. For cancellation charges related to group bookings, partial ship charters or full ship charters refer to your charter contract or group booking agreement for terms and conditions.

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE CANCELLATION CHARGE (per guest)

2, 3, 4 & 5 DAY CRUISES Up to 61 days None (except cruises to nowhere*)

60 to 30 days Deposit**

29 to 8 days 50% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6, 7 & 8 DAY CRUISES Up to 76 days None

75 to 30 days Deposit

29 to 8 days 50% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

ALASKA CRUISES Up to 76 days None

CRUISE TOURS 75 to 46 days Deposit

AND 10 DAY 45 to 15 days 50% of Total Fare

OR LONGER CRUISES 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

12, 14 & 16 DAY Up to 91 days None

EUROPE CRUISES 90 to 46 days Deposit

45 to 15 days 50% of Total Fare

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

EFFECTIVE 2007 12, 14, & 16 DAY

EUROPE CRUISES

Up to 91 days None

90 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 15 days 50% of Total Fare

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

Total Fare is defined as Cruise Fare, Air Fare Supplement, Transfer Services and Pre/Post Cruise Vacation Packages.

*The deposit is non refundable

**For cruises-to-nowhere, the cancellation charge is 25% of Total Fare.

Interestingly Princess offers a much more flexible insurance policy!

Princess Travel Care and Princess Travel Care Gold also offers unique flexibility that many other programs lack. If you have to cancel your cruise for a non-insured reason - any reason at all - you'll receive from Princess Cruises a future cruise credit equal to 75% (90% with Princess Travel Care Gold) of the normally non-refundable cancellation fees. Our Princess Travel Care plans provide coverage for most medical expenses while away from home including emergency evacuation should illness or injury occur during your trip.

Interestingly Princess offers a much more flexible insurance policy!

Princess Travel Care and Princess Travel Care Gold also offers unique flexibility that many other programs lack. If you have to cancel your cruise for a non-insured reason - any reason at all - you'll receive from Princess Cruises a future cruise credit equal to 75% (90% with Princess Travel Care Gold) of the normally non-refundable cancellation fees. Our Princess Travel Care plans provide coverage for most medical expenses while away from home including emergency evacuation should illness or injury occur during your trip.

Sounds great. Not discounting what you are saying but by nature I'm sceptical.

Most cruiselines that I'm aware of offer travel insurace with their name on it just like Carnival and Princess. However, Carnivals insurance is actually thru Berkley-Care. I'd be interested to find out who Princess goes thru to offer this protection. Find this out and you could probably cut out the middle man and get the policy cheaper. No commision to the cruiseline or TA.

NCL is the same as Princess. Why is Carnival so limited?????

NCL Special Features

Cancellations for Any Reason

Should you cancel your cruise or tour for any other reason not covered by Travel Care Free, You'll be reimbursed with a credit application toward future travel with Norwegian Cruise Line equal to 75% of the nonrefundable cancellation charges.

Travel Care Free Platinum - Added Coverage

For only $50 more, you can increase your lost baggage coverage from $1,500 to $3,000; your medical coverage from $10,000 to $20,000; and your emergency evacuation coverage from $25,000 to $50,000. Also increased is your cruise credit from 75% to 90% for cancellations due to non-covered reasons.

I may be wrong about this but I thought I read here before that one of the travel insurance companies out there (not associated with any cruise lines) was now offering a policy that offered "cancellation for any reason." Of course, it would cost more than your average policy. I don't remember the name of the insurance company either but you might find it at insuremytrip.com (unless I'm wrong and it doesn't exist).:)

I may be wrong about this but I thought I read here before that one of the travel insurance companies out there (not associated with any cruise lines) was now offering a policy that offered "cancellation for any reason." Of course, it would cost more than your average policy. I don't remember the name of the insurance company either but you might find it at insuremytrip.com (unless I'm wrong and it doesn't exist).:)

There's a couple out there. One is Global Alert. There's a couple of restrictions:

You have to buy the policy within 15 days of the initial trip deposit date

You have to insure the full non-refundable trip cost

The "cancel for any reason" benefit does not apply once you get within 48 hours of your departure date.

The price runs 50% more than their standard premium. For example, a 55 year old cruiser with a $1000 trip cost would normally pay a $46 premium. With the cancel for any reason benefit it goes to $69.

If you cancel you are reimbursed in cash, not a future cruise credit.

It's not for everyone but for those who may have a work schedule conflict or something similar it might be worth looking at. http://www.tripinsurance.com

TravelSafe also offers a "cancel for any reason" option. You can cancel up to 2 days before your travel date for any reason and get 75% back in cash. Of course you pay extra for that option.

I got that option this time because we are bringing my DD's friend so there was more that could go wrong. I could have added that option just for her, but I decided to get it for all of us.

TravelSafe is available through their website or http://www.insuremytrip.com

• 1 month later...

I bought a policy in January with the 'Cancel For Any Reason' option from TravelSafe (www.TravelSafe.com) and had to use it - no problems at all. In fact the claim went surprisingly well and we had our check right away, within a week or 2. It cost me a little more than the regular policy (additional 40% if I recall) but was well worth it I think. Had to cancel because of a work-related conflict, which is ordinarily not covered. So I would highly recommend this if you think there's any chance you'd need to cancel for a non-emergency sort of reason.

Archived