Glitter Shedding Tip

For those of us who sometimes wear glittery tops for formal night and just hate the way the glitter sheds all over everything: A sales clerk at Nordstrom told me that if you spray it with unscented hairspray, the glitter will not shed.

I haven't tried it yet because my next cruise isn't until next April. On my cruise last month, I left the glitter at home because I didn't want to deal with all that lovely shedding.

So if anybody tries this, let me know how it works. Thanks!

I really don't mean to offend you in any way, we've discussed glittered items before on this board ad nauseum.

I cannot imagine spraying any article of clothing with sticky hairspray, yuck.

I'm not a fan of glittered clothing, no matter how much you shake it, the glitter just never stops coming off. It is not only annoying to sit in a chair with leftover glitter, I've gotten a piece of it in my eye before, not a pretty sight.

One person here did put the garment (by itself) into the clothes dryer for a while and removed a lot of the glitter that way.

Your best bet would be to return the item and purchase something without glitter. If you cannot do that, or you love the item too much, do what you can to keep the shedding to a minimum and don't forget to pack it in a seperate plastic bag, tying the bottom of the bag, or everything in your suitcase will have glitter on it. When you store it in your closet, make sure to cover it and again tie the bottom of the bag.

I have no idea why manufacturers are still putting glitter on clothing. Jane110, do you have an answer???

Make sure you advise your waiter to skip any tableside flambe! ;)

For those of us who sometimes wear glittery tops for formal night and just hate the way the glitter sheds all over everything: A sales clerk at Nordstrom told me that if you spray it with unscented hairspray, the glitter will not shed.

I haven't tried it yet because my next cruise isn't until next April. On my cruise last month, I left the glitter at home because I didn't want to deal with all that lovely shedding.

So if anybody tries this, let me know how it works. Thanks!

I have no idea why manufacturers are still putting glitter on clothing. Jane110, do you have an answer???

Better manufacturer's do not use glitter on their clothes, only budget priced companies do it. They do it because it's cheaper than sequins and beads.

To the OP, I have heard about the hairspray trick, but I've heard it doesn't work. As a person who's sat in a chair after someone who wore a glitter top, please don't wear it. The next person in the chair is going to have it all over them.

Ok Ok, I promise not to wear the glitter top! I got it on sale at Macy's during the holidays but just couldn't bring myself to take it on my April cruise. I agree - I hate glitter with a passion and am not sure why I bought it in the first place. I'll just toss it. Not a big deal.

Thanks for letting me know that the hairspray trick doesn't work. Good to know.

Archived