Any recommendation for choosing an ideal Alaska round trip cruise from Seattle?

msenoch

Can anyone recommend an ideal Alaska round trip cruise (cruiseline and itineries) departing from Seattle for a scenic view? And any excursion that we can do with 1 year old infant? We are planning to go there in May 2007. Do you think it is not a good time to travel with the baby because of the possible cold weather? Thanks,

msenoch

We decided on Vision of the Sea for our trip to Alaska next year. We're set to cruise on the June 29. 2007 sailing. We loved the itinerary with the great amount of time at the ports and a half day viewing of Tracy Arms Fjords and the inside passage.

We sailing on Royal Carribbean for a number of reasons. They have a great kids program. Even for your child they have a parent/child activity time. It's sponsered by playschool toys.

If you have other questions please feel free to email me. Hope you find what your looking for......See ya in Alaska! :-)

The round trip cruises in May 2007 with the best itineraries out of Seattle are:

7-night Holland America Noordam - Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC

7-night Celebrity Mercury - Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert BC

7-night Holland America Oosterdam - Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC.

7-night Holland America Amsterdam - Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC

Next year the NCL Star will be departing on Saturdays out of Seattle, and the brand new NCL Pearl will be departing on Sundays.

We love NCL for their freestyle cruising, and the itineraries are great too.

Hikini:D

Next year the NCL Star will be departing on Saturdays out of Seattle, and the brand new NCL Pearl will be departing on Sundays.

We love NCL for their freestyle cruising, and the itineraries are great too.

Hikini:D

But Norwegian doesn't have any glacier cruising on their round trip itineraries from Seattle. At least Princess and RCCL (which I also didn't list) are going to Tracy Arm. NCL doesn't have any scheduled glacier cruising at all. If you are going to Alaska, I highly recommend finding an itinerary that has glacier cruising on it.

We decided on Vision of the Sea for our trip to Alaska next year. We're set to cruise on the June 29. 2007 sailing. We loved the itinerary with the great amount of time at the ports and a half day viewing of Tracy Arms Fjords and the inside passage.

Be aware that Vision was supposed to go to Tracy Arm this summer, and it was dropped from the itinerary early in 2006, with many unhappy people.

We are doing a one-way on the Pacific Princess in 2007, but if I were choosing a roundtrip out of Seattle, I like the itinerary on the Noordam.

Can anyone recommend an ideal Alaska round trip cruise (cruiseline and itineries) departing from Seattle for a scenic view? And any excursion that we can do with 1 year old infant? We are planning to go there in May 2007. Do you think it is not a good time to travel with the baby because of the possible cold weather? Thanks,

msenoch

I'm sure many people go on vacation with infants, but if it were me, I'd wait until the baby were older, or I'd see if a relative or friend could watch him/her for a week. I don't think babies and cruises go together, unless maybe you're on a Disney cruise.

You guys are great!! Thanks for your answers. Can you also answer my original two other questions?

[And any shore excursion in different ports that we can do with 1 year old infant? We are planning to go there in May 2007. Do you think it is not a good time to travel with the baby because of the possible cold weather?]

And how do I know if I will see plenty of glaciers during the daytime when choosing the itineries? (I think I saw some posts complaining about missing the scenic views because the cruiseship passed those points at night.) I am interested in going with Vision of the Sea. Will I see plenty of glacier? What are the chances that they drop that next year like they did this year?

Thanks,

You guys are great!! Thanks for your answers. Can you also answer my original two other questions?

[And any shore excursion in different ports that we can do with 1 year old infant? We are planning to go there in May 2007. Do you think it is not a good time to travel with the baby because of the possible cold weather?]

And how do I know if I will see plenty of glaciers during the daytime when choosing the itineries? (I think I saw some posts complaining about missing the scenic views because the cruiseship passed those points at night.) I am interested in going with Vision of the Sea. Will I see plenty of glacier? What are the chances that they drop that next year like they did this year?

Thanks,

The major glaciers are Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord (no roundtrips go there), and Tracy Arm Fjord (ships often don't get all the way to the glaciers in May). Hard to tell what itinerary changes RCI will make next summer, but in my opinion, Vision of the Seas has one of the least impressive itineraries of the Seattle roundtrips. Next summer Holland America's Zaandam will go to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, but the roundtrip is out of Vancouver.

But Norwegian doesn't have any glacier cruising on their round trip itineraries from Seattle. At least Princess and RCCL (which I also didn't list) are going to Tracy Arm. NCL doesn't have any scheduled glacier cruising at all. If you are going to Alaska, I highly recommend finding an itinerary that has glacier cruising on it.

Norwegian DOES have glacier cruising in their itineraries - not sure where you got your info from. The Saturday itinerary includes Sawyer Glacier (Tracy Arm fjord) and the Sunday itinerary includes nearly a full day in Glacier Bay, which is really spectacular.

Norwegian DOES have glacier cruising in their itineraries - not sure where you got your info from. The Saturday itinerary includes Sawyer Glacier (Tracy Arm fjord) and the Sunday itinerary includes nearly a full day in Glacier Bay, which is really spectacular.

I can understand why one would think Norwegian had no glacier viewing days. The glaciers often are NOT listed. Instead, they show up as "sea day" on the itineraries at Expedia, and as "cruise" at NCL's site.

I can understand why one would think Norwegian had no glacier viewing days. The glaciers often are NOT listed. Instead, they show up as "sea day" on the itineraries at Expedia, and as "cruise" at NCL's site.

I guess I have not ever looked anywhere but the cruise lines sites for the AK itineraries, so don't know what Expedia shows, but NCL's itineraries show plainly a choice between Sawyer Glacier and Glacier Bay round trip from Seattle - 7 day cruises.

I guess I have not ever looked anywhere but the cruise lines sites for the AK itineraries, so don't know what Expedia shows, but NCL's itineraries show plainly a choice between Sawyer Glacier and Glacier Bay round trip from Seattle - 7 day cruises.

NCL's site lists the ship with the glacier's name, but when you view the itinerary itself it isn't shown - other than as "cruise." It certainly isn't clear from the itinerary WHEN one sails to the glacier.

I just posted a review over on the NCL board of our 5/28 Star cruise. We were quite pleased with it. We did see a number of people on board with babies and young children...I was actually surprised at how many there were. Do Glacier Bay if you can! I believe next year the Pearl will be sailing the itineary that the Star is sailing this year.

The major glaciers are Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord (no roundtrips go there), and Tracy Arm Fjord (ships often don't get all the way to the glaciers in May). Hard to tell what itinerary changes RCI will make next summer, but in my opinion, Vision of the Seas has one of the least impressive itineraries of the Seattle roundtrips. Next summer Holland America's Zaandam will go to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, but the roundtrip is out of Vancouver.

NancyIL,

Can you tell me why you think Vision of the Sea offers the least impressive itineraries? If I go with Vision of the sea in last week of May 2007, is it likely that I don't see any glacier during the cruise? So I shouldn't expect that I can see a spectacular view of glaciers if I travel in May? If my cruiseship doesn't offer that opportunities, can I at least do it when I do shore excursion? If I can, what would that be? Thanks,

NancyIL,

Can you tell me why you think Vision of the Sea offers the least impressive itineraries? If I go with Vision of the sea in last week of May 2007, is it likely that I don't see any glacier during the cruise? So I shouldn't expect that I can see a spectacular view of glaciers if I travel in May? If my cruiseship doesn't offer that opportunities, can I at least do it when I do shore excursion? If I can, what would that be? Thanks,

If you do a search for May 2007 Alaska cruises that originate in Seattle (you can do this on Expedia), you will see what's available. Vision's itinerary is Juneau, Skagway (both are good), Tracy Arm (good - if RCI actually goes there), and Prince Rupert, BC. Other ships out of Seattle, such as the ones wrp96 listed on Holland America, hit at least one more port, and either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay, which are supposed to be more impressive than Tracy Arm. If the Vision cruises into Tracy Arm, you may or may not get as far as the Sawyer glaciers, although the fjord itself is supposed to be very pretty.

Lots of people love RCI, and I've been very happy with my 3 RCI cruises. But as someone who has been looking at Alaska itineraries for next summer since last summer, I just think there are better itineraries out there for a roundtrip out of Seattle.

You can see the Mendenhall Glacier while you are in Juneau.

The early season sailings especially seemed to get iced out of Tracey Arm so that the ships do not make it all the way to the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracey Arm. We considered taking the Star this year out of Seattle, sailing Glacier Bay, but ended up with the Serenade out of Vancouver. That early in the season, from what I have read of reviews, I would try to pick an itineary that goes to Hubbard or Glacier Bay.

NCL's site lists the ship with the glacier's name, but when you view the itinerary itself it isn't shown - other than as "cruise." It certainly isn't clear from the itinerary WHEN one sails to the glacier.

Okay, that makes sense. Still I would choose an itinerary that is going to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier over one going to Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) especially one in May. All but one of NCL's sailings are going to Sawyer Glacier. If you choose NCL, choose the one that goes to Glacier Bay.

RCCL is my favorite line, but I didn't list their cruise or Princess because they are going to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

All but one of NCL's sailings are going to Sawyer Glacier. If you choose NCL, choose the one that goes to Glacier Bay.

The site I look at shows the Norwegian Pearl doing 3 sailings to Glacier Bay out of Seattle in May '07. It's also a new ship (so new it's not yet completed) which is preferred by some.

As one who is amazed every time I'm in (or looking at) a Fjord, I wouldn't just dismiss the Sawyer Glacier sailings, even if the ship couldn't make it all the way to the Glacier.

As for comparing GB with Hubbard...Glacier Bay has more glacier, Hubbard is abigger glacier. My personal pref is Hubbard early in the year. Later in the year I prefer Sawyer (Tracy Arm) due to the fjord AND a better chance of making it to the glacier than there is early in the season. But for someone who might not be returning, I'd pick a GB itinary.

jmo

-Monte

The round trip cruises in May 2007 with the best itineraries out of Seattle are:

7-night Holland America Noordam - Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC

7-night Celebrity Mercury - Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert BC

7-night Holland America Oosterdam - Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC.

7-night Holland America Amsterdam - Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria BC

We took the HAL Oosterdam on May 20-27 last month and loved it. Hubbard Glacier was something I will never forget so don't miss it. We were there for a few hours and it was sunny but cool. Their are so many places that you can sit inside with your child to keep warm and still not miss one single thing. We stayed outside to film and at times when the wind was really blowing I got fairly cold, hubby braved it better.

As far as the other ports and excursions with a small child you can take a stroller if you happen not to book one and go all over the towns which are not large towns. We went on a whale trip, duck tour, carriage tour and all had areas where if raining you could keep dry and warm. Hope this helps.

Missygirl:)

Princess has 2 ships that sail roundtrip out of Seattle:

Dawn Princess on Saturdays

Sun Princess on Sundays

We are going on the Dawn later this summer. Can't wait.

Next year it is the Golden Princess and the Sun Princess. Both of those are going to Tracy Arm.

Archived