What have I done?????

I'm booked on Enchantment of the Seas for February 12th, 2007 to February 17th, 2007. It's another group cruise, and I had agreed with a friend I made on the first cruise to room with her this time around, seeing that we hit it off so well. I then found out that she's bringing a friend - and the three of us will be sharing an interior stateroom.

Backing out is not an option for me - I'm not that kind of person. What I would like to know is this: Has anyone out there shared an interior stateroom on an RCCL ship with more than one person, and other than minimizing my luggage, is there anything I should know and could do to help ease the crunch? (My friend has a mild disability, and while she wouldn't necessarily need it, I'm wondering if I should have her "pull rank" and request an accessible stateroom.

Usually, handicapped rooms have showers with no "lip" on the floor, so after taking a shower you have water all over the bathroom floor. That might be a downside of the handicapped room.

I stayed in an inside cabin with 4 other people and while it was a bit cramped, it was ok. In the morning, I usually went up to the gym to take a shower, that way, someone else could use the bathroom in the cabin at the same time and we were ready faster. The gym showers usually are nice, clean and often bigger than the ones in the cabin.

Marc

Move to another room, do it now. I'd rather eat a bug then room in an interior room with two other people, especially if I don't know one of them. If you can't do that you need to have a serious sit down with these two people and talk about the rules.

Are you a small person or a large person? This could affect your decision too.

We had an interior H/C with 3 people in it. I'm disabled. I slept on the little couch. I'm 5 ft in hieght and my ankle would go over the edge if I were not careful. So an interior H/C may not be the answer you are looking for. I agree go up to a D1.

I don't understand why you are reluctant to back out. If you arranged to go on this cruise with your friend and she never mentioned the third person she wasn't completely up front with you and you should not feel guilty about backing out. If she added the third person after with fact without consulting you the same thing applies. What happens if you don't get along with the third person, your cruise will be ruined. If I arranged to go on a cruise with friend and then a third person was added without my knowledge I would feel pretty deceived and I would not hesitate to back out. Even if you get along with the third person, what about the general inconvenience of having a third person in the cabin and the associated discomfort that goes along with it. If one of you is going to have to sleep in a Pullman bed that drops from the ceiling have you discussed which one of you it will be.

My friend has a mild disability, and while she wouldn't necessarily need it, I'm wondering if I should have her "pull rank" and request an accessible stateroom.

You booked this cabin with a person you met on your last cruise? You only knew this person for 1 week? Maybe the plan was to invite you to make the cabin cheaper for her and her friend. If there is 3 in this cabin, are you splitting the cost 3 ways, or does your new friend get the 3rd person discount? If you don't feel comfortable with this arrangement, get out NOW! Your new friend didn't discuss the 3rd person with you, you owe her nothing!

And now, the comment that bothers me the most:

What do you mean by having your friend "pull rank" and request an accessible room? If you friend doesn't need the handicapped cabin, save it for someone who really does. And if the inside cabin is too small for you, do what everyone else does. PAY for a bigger cabin. Don't request a handicapped cabin if you don't really need it. That's just plain selfish.

To try to answer everyone...

Brandis: I was planning to work out early, before our group activities started, but I completely forgot that gyms have showers! (I work out at home.)

CaptData: I'm 4'11", and working on weight loss. I don't want the ship to sink!:)

Superjerryw: Friend T mentioned her friend V from the beginning. I also have a very special gift - I get along with 90% of the world's population. And we've already established a very important ground rule - NO CLINGING! Finally, since I am definitely able-bodied, if V doesn't want the Pullman and I can sleep in it weight-wise, I'll take the Pullman (if there is one).

Clark: First, I apologize for the "pull rank" remark. That'll teach me not to post before my first pot of coffee. Now, I've been corresponding with T several times a week via e-mail since the cruise, and we get along very well. (She even put everyone in the group on notice when my uncle passed away - not necessary, but kind.) This is a group cruise, so there's no third party discount per se - your rate is determined by how many people you choose to room with. Finally, while I know T, I don't know V at all.

I agree with nliedel- if you're going to stay in the arrangement, set up ground rules fast. It's very fortunate for your roommates that you get along with others easily but it won't hurt to have expectations laid out early on with regards to bathroom time, closet/storage space, or even afternoon nap time rules. Especially since you don't know V very well yet.

Enjoy!

I've stayed in an inside room on Enchantment (alone, it was for a conference) and there is NO WAY I would try to get three people in one of those rooms. I'm a petite person and it was claustrophobic for me ALONE. I would at LEAST try and upgrade to an outside if you can.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Not that this will happen to you...but the situation reminds me of a trip I went on once with friends- one of whom decided to bring a friend from college. This woman was very picky about everything, which, in itself would have been tolerable (lots of us are particular about one thing or another). But, she also got upset a lot and started crying once when we went to a pizzeria and one of us got the last slice of plain pizza. Her college friend forgot (and the rest of us weren't aware) it was the only kind she "could" eat.

She ended up spending a lot of time on that trip upset at us.

I doubt any of this will happen to you Jeanie, but I guess it might help to ask your friend T if there's anything V is very particular about.

Out of 4 cruises, 3 of them have been with more than 2 people.

Cruise #1 - Mom, Dad, Me (I was 21) - small Majesty porthole

Cruise #2 - Mom, Dad, Me, DH - small interior Majesty - possibly the smallest room for passengers available.

Cruise #3 - Just DH and I, ocenview room Enchantment (honeymoon!)

Cruise #4 - DH, FIL, Me - Small interior room Mariner.

I've NEVER had a problem. We all had our own "personal" time in the room (it's impossible to dress in the bathroom, so others just went to the nearest bar and waited.)

HOWEVER, I'm also very close with all above mentioned - we're family and required to live in close proximity and not kill each other...

On my first cruise I was 17 and shared an interior on the Sovereign (smallest ship... smallest rooms) with my sister and 2 cousins.

Four teenage girls in one room :eek: . But since we were only in there to sleep and dress it was okay, but you may want to upgrade.

I just returned from a similar situation. I roomed with my friend and another friend of hers that I didn't know very well. It worked out fine! We all did our own things, and I let them use the shower first (I take forever, so I did that out of consideration). Just discuss expectations before you go. You will have fun! :)

Archived