Additional Costs?

J&W B

Hi,

We are first time cruisers looking to book the May 22, 2007 Rome/Athens trip. We have traveled before including all inclusive trips.

From reading the posts on this board it seems that even though we are paying quite a bit per day there are still things which we need to pay individually, such as wine with dinner.

We had sort of assumed that a cruise was all inclusive, given the cost ....

So, what are the extra costs? Not only drinks but other on-board daily expenses.

And about the automatic 18% tip, we usuall tip (To Insure Promptness) depending on the service we get. Since it seems that since we are automatically charged 18% no matter what, why should we tip more, and (more important) why should the staff make an extra effort since they get the 18% anyway?

Hmm, re-reading this post, I come across as some sort of penny-pinching sour person. No so, just curious.

Liquor, wine, sodas and bottled water are not included ...there are a few cruise that are more inclusive than others but you pay upfront for that.

Try Silverseas, RSSC, Seaborn for more inclusive cruises.

the 18% tip is only on bar purchases, bottled water and spa services (if I remember rightly)

there is a pp gratuity added to you shipboard account of $11.50 pd... this is for the room steward & wait staff. If you have a butler there is an extra charge added to your account

There is a $20. corkage fee if you bring your own wine to dinner.

You are allowed to bring wine & liquor aboard for cunsuption in your cabin unlike the mass market lines

I found the staff to work hard at giving good service even with the tip added at the end to my shipboard account

You however have the right to remove or alter the amount if you choose.

With the relaxed dining arrangements it is very hard to tip each individual that gives you good service.

Archived