One night only...carnival employee here to talk

carnicrew

Well im en route transferring from the Carnival Spirit to the Carnival Pride.. and am stuck in an airport allllll night... so feel free to ask questions about upcoming cruises... i will answer to the best of my knowledge.... i work in the children's program on board... but know a fair amount about other happenings about the ship!

Wow what a rare opportunity! Same old question but I'll try. We are on the Valor Oct 1 2006. My boys will be 8 and 10. My 8 year old will not be nine til next July. Any chance at all of him being able to move up, even on a trial basis? I know its a long shot but I'd love for them to be able to stay together.

Thanks for any tips!

Id like to know what is the nicest thing a cruiser has done for you and what is the best thing I could do to show my appreciation for a job that has been done above and beyond??

Well im en route transferring from the Carnival Spirit to the Carnival Pride.. and am stuck in an airport allllll night... so feel free to ask questions about upcoming cruises... i will answer to the best of my knowledge.... i work in the children's program on board... but know a fair amount about other happenings about the ship!

Oooh ooh ohh! (raises hand excitedly in class).:eek:

You might be the perfect person to ask.

We're all wondering about the status and any specific info on the slides on both the Spirit and Pride and when the new ones are going in.

Updates please?:D

CJW

Id like to know what is the nicest thing a cruiser has done for you and what is the best thing I could do to show my appreciation for a job that has been done above and beyond??

And this reminds me...

People have different opinions on tipping crew members at the beginning of the cruise. (And then of course at the end).

Example:

"I just want to thank you in advance for taking care of me".

Or is this considered "insulting" like:

"It's my job to take care of you, so this is telling me that you don't trust I'm going to do that".

So, I'd just like an insider opinion on any crew members you speak with, if they like and appreciate this, or do they find it insulting?

Thanks again in advance.

CJW

My family will be on the Spirit next July - Alaska. My son - who is learning disabled - will be 16 - but is younger in mind. I know that normally the cut off is 15 - but he really enjoys Legos and computers. The staff has always been really good about allowing him to go down a group. With his condition will he be allowed to participate in the 15 year old program?

What is a "not to be missed" on the Spirit? Have you done Alaska? What was your favorite port? Is there anything that the "crew" is knowledgable about that might be fun for us travelers to do? The crew always seems to know the best places to eat and hang out.

Thanks for helping us out.

Wow what a rare opportunity! Same old question but I'll try. We are on the Valor Oct 1 2006. My boys will be 8 and 10. My 8 year old will not be nine til next July. Any chance at all of him being able to move up, even on a trial basis? I know its a long shot but I'd love for them to be able to stay together.

Thanks for any tips!

In January there was a conference for allllll the youth directors fleet wide to agree on policies, etc. One of the major issues was children moving up in age groups. The rule still is pretty much that they much be within 3 months of turning the age for the group requested, but must try their own group FIRST. It stil also depends on the ship, as some are MUCH busier than others and don't allow much room for switching age groups. And it is always left up to the sole decision for the youth director. If moved, it is always on an "on trial basis" and they can be moved back down at any time if seen necessary.

When you fill out your comment cards and mention names of people that were extra helpful, or nice they will get a copy of that comment card to keep. It's nice to get feed back that youre doing a good job. Tips are also nice!! haha. Pretty much just recognition that you are doing your job, making someone happy. Respect... remember that we are just working for the big guys, we have rules and procedures to follow for every event, comment, and complaint. So to be appreciated for doing what were supposed to do is nice.

Oooh ooh ohh! (raises hand excitedly in class).:eek:

You might be the perfect person to ask.

We're all wondering about the status and any specific info on the slides on both the Spirit and Pride and when the new ones are going in.

Updates please?:D

CJW

Ok the spirit currently has its slide still on the ship, but it has not been working for MONTHS now! woohoo no slide duty for me!!.. the pride has removed their slide... but both ships are expecting new, and improved, safer slides to be installed over the next few months... i think the spirit will get its done when it returns to the mexican run in the fall

And this reminds me...

People have different opinions on tipping crew members at the beginning of the cruise. (And then of course at the end).

Example:

"I just want to thank you in advance for taking care of me".

Or is this considered "insulting" like:

"It's my job to take care of you, so this is telling me that you don't trust I'm going to do that".

So, I'd just like an insider opinion on any crew members you speak with, if they like and appreciate this, or do they find it insulting?

Thanks again in advance.

CJW

well im not the BEST person to answer that question as my position doesn't really rely on tipping. But for other dept.s tipping is a major part of their pay and is always appreciated.. some dept's have little to no salary and work hard to recieve tips. Ive never heard of anyone being isulted by being tipped. But if you tip per good deed that might help as well to ensure the good service continues!

Glad to see you back. We are sailing on the Fantasy soon. My little girl will turn 2 the week after. I know you answered this one earlier and you said it depends on the youth director. Any suggestions on how they might let her stay? I know I read one lady said that she had another child and they offered to let her almost two stay. We have an 8 yo, also. The program just looks so great for that age two group and my little girl is playing really well with those type things. But, if not, we'll just take advantage of the 12 to 2 time for a nap possibly. Also, on port days, do you know what time they will be open for under two? Thanks in advance!!

First of all THANKS.

Also tell all your co-workers that even tho some of us are a real pain sometimes, most of us really appreciate the hard work that you guys do to make our vacations enjoyable.

How do you deal week after week after week with a group of new passengers all excited with high expectations as if we're the very first group to ever sail on your ship?

....but glad for this opportunity. Thank you!

Just a question...why doesn't Carnival do more to enforce the "no saving of chairs on deck" policy? Here on this board we refer to these people as "CHOGS" as in chair hogs. Most of the experience cruisers here have very creative ways to deal with them but none satisfactory and many lead to words. We actually had an on-board cruiser send photo's from the ship showing 24 chairs "saved" with no one around them - and sent the photo's every couple of hours showing no one showing up.

Do you have any input or suggestions for us?

My family will be on the Spirit next July - Alaska. My son - who is learning disabled - will be 16 - but is younger in mind. I know that normally the cut off is 15 - but he really enjoys Legos and computers. The staff has always been really good about allowing him to go down a group. With his condition will he be allowed to participate in the 15 year old program?

What is a "not to be missed" on the Spirit? Have you done Alaska? What was your favorite port? Is there anything that the "crew" is knowledgable about that might be fun for us travelers to do? The crew always seems to know the best places to eat and hang out.

Thanks for helping us out.

Ok first about the 16 year old. Camp carnival only goes to age 14. so he would not be able to participate in that. Club O2 is a program for 15-17 year olds, so he can take part in that.. but their activities are more video game hang outs, discos, etc. so i'm not sure if that is what you are looking for.

As for your second question. I just left the spirit a few hours ago, so I have been going to alaska for a little over a month now. Juneau and Ketchican are the best ports. Juneau is an all day/evening port. The ship sails out at 11 pm, so there is really alot of time to go see things. I went whale watching there the other day and it was beautiful. There are lots of shops, places to eat, etc. there as well. The Mount Roberts Tram ride up the mountain is very popular. It has a very nice view of the place, and lots of trails to walk along. There is a glacier that is very close by, shuttles run you there for around 6$ per person i believe... I went there the other day, it was really amazing. Skagway and Sitka are verrrrry small towns which each consist of about one street. Nice and quiet... scenic...nice to walk around. Alot of people realllllly enjoy the dogsledding excursions, but you have to be willing to pay out big bucks for that one, but from what I've heard, it's well worth the money....hope that helps you out a little!!!

Glad to see you back. We are sailing on the Fantasy soon. My little girl will turn 2 the week after. I know you answered this one earlier and you said it depends on the youth director. Any suggestions on how they might let her stay? I know I read one lady said that she had another child and they offered to let her almost two stay. We have an 8 yo, also. The program just looks so great for that age two group and my little girl is playing really well with those type things. But, if not, we'll just take advantage of the 12 to 2 time for a nap possibly. Also, on port days, do you know what time they will be open for under two? Thanks in advance!!

I would not count on your under 2 year old being allowed to move up at all. There are many ongoing debates about the program for under 2 year olds, talk of eliminating it all together... It all comes down to legal matters really. Although I did mention movement between age groups if within 3 months, this doesnt apply to under 2 year olds. It's just too risky, if anything were to happen to the child, it would be questioned what an under2 year old was doing there in the first place.... so your best bet is like you said... take full advantage of the under 2 times.... sea days at lunch, all babysitting after 10 pm, and port mornings until noon!!

First of all THANKS.

Also tell all your co-workers that even tho some of us are a real pain sometimes, most of us really appreciate the hard work that you guys do to make our vacations enjoyable.

How do you deal week after week after week with a group of new passengers all excited with high expectations as if we're the very first group to ever sail on your ship?

Thank YOU!

well... cruise after cruise after cruise... it's all just a blur really!! haha. It's nice to see fresh faces each week. It gets pretty repetitive though.... I like to trick the kids into thinking im Psychic by saying the punchline just before the comedians, knowing exactly what announcement is coming on next, etc... its entertaining. You make the best of the small things!!

....but glad for this opportunity. Thank you!

Just a question...why doesn't Carnival do more to enforce the "no saving of chairs on deck" policy? Here on this board we refer to these people as "CHOGS" as in chair hogs. Most of the experience cruisers here have very creative ways to deal with them but none satisfactory and many lead to words. We actually had an on-board cruiser send photo's from the ship showing 24 chairs "saved" with no one around them - and sent the photo's every couple of hours showing no one showing up.

Do you have any input or suggestions for us?

Honestly no suggestions for you there... I believe there is a rule about it. But most of the people who work on the deck speak english as a second language and i'm sure have a hard time confronting anyone on the issue. But if its a big issue, take the normal steps, first ask the deck supervisor on duty when you see this going on. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out. If all else fails maybe go to the purser's maybe with enough comments on the issue they will be forced into putting up more signs stating that it is not allowed. But I know what you mean. I have been on many vacations at resorts where the issue is the same there!

HI , thanks for helping us out. How much of a tip is considered to be the Norm or a good tip for the Camp Carnival staff? I have 1 son age 7 now who loves I mean LOVES it. Also who should you tip Ie all of the counselors his age group etc. Thanks !!!!!

Ohh Also We recently found out my son has ADD and a form of Autism ( you wouldnt really know it ) called Auspbergers (Misspelled) He has cruised 2x, and did fine at camp, but was frowned upon once because he didnt want to do the group activity ( didnt peak his mind I guess) How is that handled? Do most have knowledge on how to deal with a bit differant kids at camp? His condition like I said is not too noticable ( he will do lego's for HOURS etc) so we want to mantion it, but not give him special treatment/ or make a big stink of his condition thanks again

Ok stupid question of the night... Rooms that are say on the main deck inside cabin, that have NO symbals listed for number of beds. Are we assuming I am going to fit 3 people in this room with one of us uncomfortable for 5 nights on a roll-away? If this is the case, how do I change this sleeping arrangement?

Archived