Warning about midnight gala buffet on Vision

I just wanted to warn all of you that have not had the midnight gala buffet experience yet. I am a first time cruiser, just off a fabulous Alaska cruise on the Vision of the Seas. The food was terrific throughout the cruise at all cafe's and restaurants. However, if you try to attempt the midnight buffet- bring plenty of patience with you and get on line at least one hour before midnight. I'm not sure how other ships organize this but this was a disaster. There was one line that wrapped around a few times and hardly moved. We got on line at 11:30ish and were the last ones to eat just about 1:00am. There wasn't much food left. The worst part of it was that we saw many people with towering plates full of food that they never finished. A pure waste and unfare to those at the end of the line. Many people rave about this but I didn't think it was worth it. The sculptures were pretty but the food was the same as the rest of the cruise and not enough of it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I agree with the previous poster. I went to the Gala ONCE. Never again. It was a circus: picture taking etc. Dry pastry. Beautiful display but not very utilitarian. Plus, I get sleepy after 10 PM!!!

Gene in Bimingham

I've never been and don't plan on going. For one, I like to sleep more than I like to eat at that hour. I also don't like barffet's. Great place to pick up a little touch of Norwalk IMO. Finally, I don't like the crowds and the lines, which is odd since I'm on a ship with a few thousand other people but the chocolate barffet was crowded enough to deter me from going to the gala barffet.

I'll heed your warning. I'm on Vision of the Seas in June 05 - Im not really into eating that late anyway but would like to get a glimpse of it. did you get to see it before the vultures swarmed in?

Vultures is just about the right word to describe it! HA!

I just wanted to warn all of you that have not had the midnight gala buffet experience yet. I am a first time cruiser, just off a fabulous Alaska cruise on the Vision of the Seas. The food was terrific throughout the cruise at all cafe's and restaurants. However, if you try to attempt the midnight buffet- bring plenty of patience with you and get on line at least one hour before midnight. I'm not sure how other ships organize this but this was a disaster. There was one line that wrapped around a few times and hardly moved. We got on line at 11:30ish and were the last ones to eat just about 1:00am. There wasn't much food left. The worst part of it was that we saw many people with towering plates full of food that they never finished. A pure waste and unfare to those at the end of the line. Many people rave about this but I didn't think it was worth it. The sculptures were pretty but the food was the same as the rest of the cruise and not enough of it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I experienced the same thing on the Rhapsody of the Seas .I enjoyed taking pictures and shaking hands with the Chefs .But will not endure the glutonous Lot of food wasters again.

On our Vision cruise to Mexico last year they had a poolside Midnight Barbeque one night that was fantastic!

We didn't know about it till the last minute so we weren't really hungry enough but what we had was delicious.

Mesquite grilled steaks, chicken and fajitas plus all the fixin's and fresh friut. YUM !

I hope they have the barbeque on our upcoming Serenade cruise to Alaska.

I would way rather enjoy the Midnight Barbeque that the (lame) Chocolate Buffet.

I agree with OP. We no longer go to the midnight buffets. I did go to take pictures when on the Voyager two weeks ago. But the thought of eating any of that food, after thousands had looked and breathed on it kinda turned me off. Besides we always have second seating and we just are not hungry at midnight.

Ann

The massive line ups for the midnight buffets are not unique to the Vision. Been on 3 different lines and all were so bad I've taken to "touring" the buffet before it's open for eating and just letting my eyes feast on the food. Besides, who needs to eat 5 lbs of chocolate and yummy stuff just before bed.

Haven't done any midnight buffet in years. Just not worth it to me. I have albums of midnight buffet pictures from years past, that no one - including me - ever looks at, and won't do it again. If I need a late-night snack, I call room service.

we have been to a gala buffet and took pictures when it was our first time, we did try a few of the items on one plate and shared.

we enjoyed the midnight chocolate buffett but still dh and I took just a little of a few things and shared the one plate partially filled, but were shocked seeing others with towers of food and chocolate each taking huge plate fulls and tasting a little bit then going back for more, yes we saw this on our first crusie,

lately we try to have late dinner seating so by the time of midnight buffet we are not hungry and do not eat if not hungry so to avoid gaining on the cruise, works too

now we do enjoy cruising but do not feel the need to wait in a line for an hour approx for food

we have always found the food just fine as well

We went to the midnight buffet on the Celebrity Century last September and really enjoyed it. They opened at 11:00 for a walk through and picture preview. Then re-opened a midnight for dining.

We got there at 11:30 and when we finished the first "lap", we went back to the entrance for the 2nd run. It was 11:50 and there was no line! We were literally the first in line. After a couple of minutes 2 ladies walked up beside us. (Personal Opinion: From their size, they were no strangers to the buffet bar!) There was a line at this time but that didn't seem to bother them. As the minutes ticked away, they inched closer and closer to the door. DW and I noticed that in the last few minutes one was leaning forward a bit more with each passing moment. Somewhat like a sprinter at the blocks :D

At any rate, the doors opened and they made it down the Grand Stair case to the buffet. I was really afraid that one would trip the other and they would go tumbling down like a couple of pups.

The buffet was magnificent. Food was fresh. We are "foodies" but are happy with a teaspoon of lots of different items. If it's something that is set in too large a portion we will share or pass on the item as we were both raised to eat what you take.

With all the complaints lately of RCCL cutting back on food quality and presentation, I wonder what could be done if they eliminated the Midnight Chocolate Buffet?

If they took that budget and put it back into the regular meals, those complaints may go away...

Been there, done that, won't do it again. If I'm even awake at that time of night there's no way I'll get stuck in the herd wasting my time. I have my pictures and previewed a couple before the crowd got there. Once you've seen one, they're pretty much all the same anyway.

I look at the gala midnight buffet as a sort of art thing. I love to take pictures of all that stuff. BUT (outside of fruit) I wouldn't eat it unless I were starving! Think of all the time that stuff had to be out for them to prepare it. Now it is out for an hour for people to take its picture, then by the time you get to it, how many hours has it been a warm room temperature? I am only amazed that we haven't heard of food poisoning.

You don't get to see food art much any more unless you patronize those high end restaurants - so go and take pictures. But I wouldn't come hungry.

Archived